Skinner Sights?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
fairchildfarms

Skinner Sights?

Post by fairchildfarms »

I'm looking to outfit my new rio grande 45-70 with the Skinner Sights, my question is if I need their taller front sight, or will the factory front work?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Skinner Sights?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hopefully someone might have the answer. You have probably already looked at this portion of the page, but here is his recommendations for the Marlin:

1895 Guide Gun and 20" 45-70 = .425" - .500" (wide variations in loads)
1895 45-70 W/ 22" Barrel = .450 - .500"
444 Marlin w/20" barrel = .475"

I added the 444 Marlin as the Rio Grande feels more like the 444 Marlin in hand rather than the 1895, I know that doesn't make much since but it the .475" seems like a good "middle ground" for the 1895 suggestions.

You might be new but you are probably going to be the fellow that will post some useful information for those that follow down the road.

Can't wait to see them Blueticks standing on top of a bear!
Michael
fairchildfarms

Post by fairchildfarms »

Thanks RD, I suppose I'll get their front sight just in case, but will definately see how the rifle does with the factory front first. It might be just a matter of using the right load, I was hoping someone had that all figured out already!LOL This forum has helped me alot with this rifle and I'm sure enjoying it, my 10 year old boy has put 40 rounds through it and hopes to take his first bear with it this year! By the way, its coyote season now!

Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

With almost any peep sight you can be fairly certain a front sight change will be required. The peep sight configuration for mounting on the receiver requires enough additional height that the aperture will be higher than your original barrel rear sight.

There are exceptions to this but very few.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

fairchildfarms wrote:...my 10 year old boy has put 40 rounds through it and hopes to take his first bear with it this year!
I'm impressed with your son saddling up to a 45-70! Good for him and dad! Boys hunt young down here and I'm glad to see other pockets of this country carrying these skills to their young people. You have got my attention and I can't wait for him to drop a bear!
fairchildfarms wrote:Image
The first thought from a guy down in South Texas, with all that white stuff in the background, was; "Dude, you ought to put blankets on your dogs! Look, they both are frozen!" :D Very nice looking dog and dog box!
Michael