My brand new Rossi Back in the shop

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
charliegrips

My brand new Rossi Back in the shop

Post by charliegrips »

Hi every one. This is my second Rossi so i thought I`d look for a forum,great! My first m92 38/357 is running just fine. It`s getting looser as I shoot it,nice action developing. I bought a second 38/357 m92 stainless ,just the othewr day . I took it to the range ,fired maybe 30 rounds when I noticed that the shoulder screw on the left side had fallen out.this screw is just below & to the left ,below loading gate.There`one on the left side . When i went to screw it back in,I found the sickening feeling of a screw that just stripped. Now guys, i am really careful when i install anywhere! I didn`t touch it afterward . I talked to Rossi service ,they issued me a shipping ticket ,fedex picked it up yesterday. I don`t know what to think. Is the screw hole in the receiver stripped? I tried swapping screws ,the "bad" screw did fine on the other side. Any ideas any opinions as to what`s going to happen?
cimg7436.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My brand new Rossi Back in the shop

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm going to throw this out there. The carrier screw bites about three turns in the receiver. The end of the screw is a pin that supports the carrier. With the screw out, the carrier would have shifted or yawed to the right because of the stop pin and the stop pin spring pushing against the inside of the receiver. It is possible, if you didn't check it with something like a punch to make sure the carrier was lined up with the screw hole in the receiver, that the carrier screw bottomed out against the side of the carrier. Even if the two holes where slightly out of alignment, it would have just kept turning because it was making contact. Removing the screw on the left side of the receiver would have possibly relieved the carrier a bit allowing it to center up and the screws be inserted.

How's that for a tale?

I would check it out before sending the rifle back. Pull screws and keep the carrier aligned with punches while swapping the screws.
Michael
charliegrips

Re: My brand new Rossi Back in the shop

Post by charliegrips »

Yeah Ranch dog, I see what you mean. I did however send the gun back to them. I did look into the the stripped side ,& I could see that when the lever is moved there was a small piec of the lever showing through the screw hole. I tried screw when the lever was in different positions. Here`s my situation,if I kept attempting to fix it I would have made marks on the gun that Rossi could use to say I screwed up the threads. Besides the stock looked like a 4 year old sanded it , It didn`t fit the receiver . The brass bead on the front sight was gone, & there was no way to get more than 5 rounds into the loading tube. As wrote before, the gun was not a week old when i got it. The other Rossi I have ,at least is staying together! In my opinion,due to the rise in gun sales ,maybe Rossi is really turning out guns in a hurry, & I think that their quality is suffering . The one thing that surprised me was that the action,though tight ,was really smooth . We`ll see what happens. Too much trouble & I`ll sell the gun,take a loss & go from there.