Any sign that the supply chain is catching up with demand?

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Any sign that the supply chain is catching up with demand?

Post by Arktikos »

I have, or rather had plenty of everything to last for a good 6 months of shooting my guns like I normally do, but this year I introduced 2 new calibers, each needing dies, brass, and in the 454 Casull's case, small magnum rifle primers, something that it doesn't share with any other calibers I own. Living in a land locked bubble of a place we tend to be the last to see a national disruption when it starts and the last to see it end. Don't really think it is necessary to go on about the cause of this storm, or I prefer to think more of a drought, we all know about the children of the media and congress/executive.. I am just curious if there is a sign of a return to, if not normal, at least an indicator that inventories are catching up. I have several items ordered ranging from 454 Casull brass, 454 Casull and 44 magnum dies, various cast bullets etc, none of them "back ordered" but all came with the caveat that stated something like "due to heavy demand this order is going to take weeks/months to fulfill" which to me is the same as back ordered only this way they have me locked into the sale. And of course the gun racks around town are starting to thin a little as well, but this is likely a bit different from components as the inventories on guns flows slower here and due to the isolation factor people from other towns don't tend to come here looking for guns to buy up. And of course there are primers and powders which due to shipping restrictions have to come here by barge, so every Wednesday I go to the 2 outlets in town that sell it and see if the weekly barge has brought anything new which it hasn't in a long while. The town is bare of primers, none, zip! I'm good for months of shooting 45 Colt and 45/70, but am itching to load the new 454 Casull.. I hope it gets over soon! +guns
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Deleted User 547

Re: Any sign that the supply chain is catching up with deman

Post by Deleted User 547 »

Well my little hole in the wall was discovered and the vultures have come down with what seems to be a vengeance and come away with just about everything reloading component and a hefty credit card bill.
I live in southern Illinois in a medium sized town around 50k. Another local shop got in a shipment of 10k rounds of cci in 100 round packs last week. Imposed a 1 box per person limit and would you know it was gone in 1.5 days.
The price of ARs has come down, but ammo scarcity is still in full swing. I spoke with a Walmart employee and they have people waiting around the ammo section for 4-5 hours a day everyday waiting for a shipment to arrive. Not just one or two.
I'd say the madness still is in full swing.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

prsman23 wrote:Well my little hole in the wall was discovered and the vultures have come down with what seems to be a vengeance and come away with just about everything reloading component and a hefty credit card bill.
I live in southern Illinois in a medium sized town around 50k. Another local shop got in a shipment of 10k rounds of cci in 100 round packs last week. Imposed a 1 box per person limit and would you know it was gone in 1.5 days.
The price of ARs has come down, but ammo scarcity is still in full swing. I spoke with a Walmart employee and they have people waiting around the ammo section for 4-5 hours a day everyday waiting for a shipment to arrive. Not just one or two.
I'd say the madness still is in full swing.
That's discouraging!
Maybe I will make use of this item before this drought has ran its course.. I found it in the throw away pile of junk we are getting rid of in preparation for our moving to our new place soon. It was probably my wife's dads who would have been 100 years old this year. I wonder if those primers still work? :mrgreen:
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The law of supply & demand.
There is a paucity of new guns & ammo and the prices, particularly of new guns arriving on racks has risen noticeably.
The gun & accessories resellers must be loving the Democrats.......every time Clinton, Feinstein, Obama start the scare tactics, political scapegoating & media bullying of gun owners (those legally exercising their Second Amendment rights) sales go thru the roof.
I have all the guns & ammo I'll ever need.
The floor would collapse in my guns/ammo room if I bought 1 more box of ammo.
At the rate I shoot I won't be needing more for a long time.
I do my practice shooting with handguns & rifles in 22LR (still lots of 22LR ammo around)......same technique & skills being honed a lot cheaper than firing CF.
I check the ZERO for my hunting guns every fall and fire a few practice shots.
I don't get off on putting 10,000 holes in a piece a paper with expensive & scarce center fire ammo.
Like any other valuable resource I use what I need & don't waste.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

i hope those primers are still good.
i just finished loading a few hundred rounds of them and haven't shot them just yet.
everybody is shipping stuff,it's just being grabbed up as soon as it hits the sales floor.
powder, primers, everything.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I spoke with a sales rep last week and he's predicting July or August before things become readily available again. That's not good news.

Plus, companies are scaling back on some products to divert full resources to the bigger selling items. So, you'll likely see common 9mm and .45 bullets available before you see something for a .32 ACP, a .38-55 or even a .45 Colt/.454 Casull.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Heck, I have a bunch of loaded ammo for My 450 Marlin that I just finished pulling in that I sold the rifle last year. Selling the brass but the primers, powder, and bullets have been moved back into my inventory. I had a bunch of 338 ME brass that was primed, I pulled those primers and sold the brass. Also, I have some 356 Win factory ammo that is just too much of a hassle to sell as it is near an 80 mile drive to ship it UPS so I'm going to pull it and keep the primers, fertilize mom's flowers, and the brass has already been sold.

I'm down to 31,000 primers, half of what I purchased two years ago and I'm shooting on my normal schedule and I will restock two years from now.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:Heck, I have a bunch of loaded ammo for My 450 Marlin that I just finished pulling in that I sold the rifle last year. Selling the brass but the primers, powder, and bullets have been moved back into my inventory. I had a bunch of 338 ME brass that was primed, I pulled those primers and sold the brass. Also, I have some 356 Win factory ammo that is just too much of a hassle to sell as it is near an 80 mile drive to ship it UPS so I'm going to pull it and keep the primers, fertilize mom's flowers, and the brass has already been sold.

I'm down to 31,000 primers, half of what I purchased two years ago and I'm shooting on my normal schedule and I will restock two years from now.
Wow! I can only shoot that much in my dreams! +guns
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Just acquired a "blue" 450 Marlin BLR Takedown last year + 40 x @20 round boxes of ammo.
Leupold 2-7x33mm receiver mounted with Warne QD mounts.
Makes a great bush plane gun.
The disassembled gun and 5 boxes of ammo and cleaning stuff inside the carry case take up very little room.
And what a power house!
Looks like Browning discontinued the BLR in 450 Marlin.
I'll hang on to it for a while.
An obsolete gun in an almost obsolete caliber sounds like a great investment. :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Looks like Browning discontinued the BLR in 450 Marlin.
I'll hang on to it for a while.
An obsolete gun in an almost obsolete caliber sounds like a great investment. :lol:
It is a real shame that the 450 never received the recognition that it deserved. I always felt that the belted rimless case was far superior in feed to the 45-70 in the 1895. That is something that would be very important to me if I was using the cartridge for what it was intended for. I think you made a very good choice in the BLR.
Michael