Proper assembly R92 Bolt & lever - NEW R92 HELP

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
hutch

Proper assembly R92 Bolt & lever - NEW R92 HELP

Post by hutch »

RickinVA wrote:Thanks. Each disassembly post like this increases my confidence to tackle my own.
Yes TX for the post - Brand new member here, having acquired my first Rossi this past Saturday. Not new to lever guns tho. I have gotten really good at stripping her down - it's the EXACT steps to putting it back together that I am fumbling. It ain't just as easy as reversing the steps. I'm pretty handy but must have a mental block. Must be a reason no one does an ASSEMBLY piece, eh? I have done it now for the 3rd time and re-assembled differently all three times. :oops: My Rossi 92 is a little smoother now, but still has trouble cycling most ammo consistently. I'm a Marlin guy, but bought this beautiful Rossi and love the way it looks, but the blamed thing just doesn't work! Couldn't find a Marlin 1894CSS, so I ran across this stainless R92 and said I gotta have it. Seemed to strip down pretty easy, but it sure is a bear to get that bolt & lever back in place properly huh?

It's a 2013 Rossi R92 (56011). I'm afraid I acted too quickly and this must be like Rossi's Remlin or something. It sure is frustrating. So far I have 1) stripped her down to the bones & cleaned all the gunk out carefully. 2) seasoned the SS with an eezox treatment 3) smoothed, polished and deburred everything I could find. 4) left the screws loose, tightened them, and everywhere in between. 4) trimmed the carrier pin spring so it wasn't so stiff (thinking that was why the carrier moved so hard) I've tried everything I could find here. Not sure what else to do. At least it will cycle a few rounds now, but not well enough for it to be a real lever action rifle. I've fixed 2 Remlins to be sweet rifles. This one has me stumped & PO'ed. Here are a couple of pic's of how the head hangs up on the front of the guides. The carrier is at full max height. Pic #1 = as jammed with bolt against round. Pic #2 = back bolt away.

It seems if I put it back together with all the screws pretty loose, it cycles VERY smoothly, but still chokes on about every 3rd or 4th round. If I tighten down the screws so it seems as if they won't fall out in the field, it is noticeably "rougher" and the carrier doesn't move up and down as freely. In fact you have to jam it so hard on the forward/down stroke to get the carrier to rise to the right height, it just doesn't seem right. When it jams, it is nose up and not stuck under the aft part of the cartridge guides, but the head seems to hang up on the forward (closest to the barrel) end of the slot in the cartridge guide. If I loosen up the carriage screws, set the rifle between my legs (no comments please) and then push the lever down HARD, and pull it back equally as hard, I can cycle a full magazine. But then I have a sore thumb and sore index finger. I know, whine, whine, whine. Works about 75% if I have both carrier screws LOOSE, and I mean loose. Even just barely tight and the action noticeably binds up and the carrier doesn't move up and down freely. I'm ready to get out the BIG hammer, chisels and files if necessary. This rifle isn't doing me any good like it is. And I want it fixed before I consider selling. I'm gonna repost this as a new thread with pic's of how the head of the case hangs up on the front cartridge guides.

If it was a Marlin, I'd know what to do. HELP!

Any idea's from the Rossi experts?

- hutch
IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Proper assembly R92 Bolt & lever - NEW R92 HELP

Post by Arktikos »

hutch wrote:
RickinVA wrote:Thanks. Each disassembly post like this increases my confidence to tackle my own.
Yes TX for the post - Brand new member here, having acquired my first Rossi this past Saturday. Not new to lever guns tho. I have gotten really good at stripping her down - it's the EXACT steps to putting it back together that I am fumbling. It ain't just as easy as reversing the steps. I'm pretty handy but must have a mental block. Must be a reason no one does an ASSEMBLY piece, eh? I have done it now for the 3rd time and re-assembled differently all three times. :oops: My Rossi 92 is a little smoother now, but still has trouble cycling most ammo consistently. I'm a Marlin guy, but bought this beautiful Rossi and love the way it looks, but the blamed thing just doesn't work! Couldn't find a Marlin 1894CSS, so I ran across this stainless R92 and said I gotta have it. Seemed to strip down pretty easy, but it sure is a bear to get that bolt & lever back in place properly huh?

It's a 2013 Rossi R92 (56011). I'm afraid I acted too quickly and this must be like Rossi's Remlin or something. It sure is frustrating. So far I have 1) stripped her down to the bones & cleaned all the gunk out carefully. 2) seasoned the SS with an eezox treatment 3) smoothed, polished and deburred everything I could find. 4) left the screws loose, tightened them, and everywhere in between. 4) trimmed the carrier pin spring so it wasn't so stiff (thinking that was why the carrier moved so hard) I've tried everything I could find here. Not sure what else to do. At least it will cycle a few rounds now, but not well enough for it to be a real lever action rifle. I've fixed 2 Remlins to be sweet rifles. This one has me stumped & PO'ed. Here are a couple of pic's of how the head hangs up on the front of the guides. The carrier is at full max height. Pic #1 = as jammed with bolt against round. Pic #2 = back bolt away.

It seems if I put it back together with all the screws pretty loose, it cycles VERY smoothly, but still chokes on about every 3rd or 4th round. If I tighten down the screws so it seems as if they won't fall out in the field, it is noticeably "rougher" and the carrier doesn't move up and down as freely. In fact you have to jam it so hard on the forward/down stroke to get the carrier to rise to the right height, it just doesn't seem right. When it jams, it is nose up and not stuck under the aft part of the cartridge guides, but the head seems to hang up on the forward (closest to the barrel) end of the slot in the cartridge guide. If I loosen up the carriage screws, set the rifle between my legs (no comments please) and then push the lever down HARD, and pull it back equally as hard, I can cycle a full magazine. But then I have a sore thumb and sore index finger. I know, whine, whine, whine. Works about 75% if I have both carrier screws LOOSE, and I mean loose. Even just barely tight and the action noticeably binds up and the carrier doesn't move up and down freely. I'm ready to get out the BIG hammer, chisels and files if necessary. This rifle isn't doing me any good like it is. And I want it fixed before I consider selling. I'm gonna repost this as a new thread with pic's of how the head of the case hangs up on the front cartridge guides.

If it was a Marlin, I'd know what to do. HELP!

Any idea's from the Rossi experts?

- hutch
Welcome Hutch! I am not an expert either but I know there will be some questions asked before any meaningful help will be forthcoming. Does the gun cycle without ammo? Does it hang up with different kinds of ammo? What is the COAL, bullet type, etc? Often times leverguns simply wont cycle certain ammunition well, and either you can try to fix it or tailor your ammo to what your guns wants. Not saying that is the case, just something to consider. For instance I had a Marlin that didn't care for any of the longer cartridges that I wanted it to feed. Anything over about 1.58 was a no go and there wasn't an easy fix for it. Sorta limited it from the heavy 330gr bullets that I wanted to shoot through it. Anyway I am sure some of the true experts will be along shortly to try to sort this out. My one and only 92 has exceeded my expectations such that I sold my 1894 Marlin..
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Proper assembly R92 Bolt & lever - NEW R92 HELP

Post by Ranch Dog »

I would like to get a picture of the cartridge on the Carrier (39) prior to any forward movement by the bolt. In the second picture, the bolt is fully aft but this picture has been taken after the cartridge has been moved forward and stuck. My guess is that the Cartridge Guides (44) (48) need to be "dressed", the very aft portion of the cutouts as the cartridge in it's aft, at rest state, is not able to get it's rim angled up through the guides. This is a common issue with the R92. The angle created by the cuts in the guides is too steep, more relief is needed on the aft edges to get a better angle for the case and the rim of the case to pass.

Be very careful of working with the Carrier. The 92 action is not like the 336 or 1894. The carrier does not follow the lever movement. It has two positions and nothing in between, down to accept the cartridge and up to start the cartridge feed. The lever of the 92 and it's radius during pivot is very small compared to other levers and the carrier very short. It depends on solid positive contact at the end of its stroke to actuate. There are two recesses cut into the left side of the receiver to facilitate this positive movement against the Carrier Stop(40) and Carrier Stop Spring (41). If Mr Browning had wanted a continuous movement across the range of motion, the recesses and two additional parts would have not been considered.

With the Carrier out, I do look at the recesses to ensure that the cuts are "clean and crisp". I personally want them to be positive detents and feel the action depends on it. Also be very careful with the Carrier and Stop Springs. I have tried "adjusting" the spring to smooth the stroke but it has not had positive results. The only thing I suggest is that you ensure the carrier fits. The nose of the carrier in my 454 Casull was a bit long and was bind in travel. The right side of the carrier is going to drag against the right side of the receiver because of the Stop Spring pressure acting against the Carrier Stop. This pressure is transferred to the carrier via a right yawing motion, stopping against the right side of the receiver. The reason this yawing takes place, besides the spring pressure is that the carrier is held in place by pins. Those pins are the Carrier Screws (43) but the screw portion of the part only threads through the receiver. The portion of the screw in contact with the carrier is the shank or pin and the carrier depends on the freedom of fit.

I have a 357 Mag R92 sitting here with the same issue that I'm going to help a fellow with. My plan is to dress the angle of the Cartridge Guides, at the aft end of the cutout only, with a square file of appropriate size with the guides on the rifle. I've done the work by removing the guides and it is very time consuming as you only want to take a few strokes at a time. I also feel that with the guides in the rifle, it will help support them better and the depth of the action will help limit the power behind the file stroke, like a said, a little at a time. I will flush and blow the filings out between checks and let him disassemble the rifle for a complete cleaning after the work is done. I'm not sure if I will get to this today but it will be sometime this week.
Michael