Success = happy dance

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
phonejack

Success = happy dance

Post by phonejack »

About a year ago I bought a R92 in .357. I cleaned it the best I could and discovered the most accurate load for the rifle was the most accurate load in my pistols. A hornady 158 xtp leaves the rifle at 1400 fps. Perfect! That puts it inside the window for xtp's. however, as with most R92's it would not load the longer .357's. Well, today I disassembled the rifle. I arranged a row of trays and took a pic of each part I removed and labeled the part and placed each in individual trays. Then I started the cleaning. Nasty, nasty, nasty. I had to stop twice and wash my hands it was so bad .any burrs were removed with a jeweler s file. Everything that showed rub marks were honed with an Arkansas stone. The 357 cases all seemed to stop when the case rim hit the bottom of the barrel chamber. I happened to have a crock stick the same diameter as a 357 case and it's 12" long. I inserted it thru the bottom of the receiver up to the barrel chamber. Then, I rotated it with my fingers and honed the bottom edge where the bullet and case "ride" into the chamber. I was hoping this would smooth any burrs or edges. Reassembling the rifle is not something I would care to do on a regular basis.
Then, the BIG test. Putting 3 dummy rounds into the tube I cycled the action. First one YES, second YES again, third YES !
Problem solved with simple cleaning and honing. I could not have done any of this by myself if it weren't for the posts and instructions in this forum. Now I have fun functional rifle! Thanks, guys !
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Success = happy dance

Post by pricedo »

phonejack wrote: Reassembling the rifle is not something I would care to do on a regular basis.
The disassemble/reassemble will get exponentially easier each & every time.
The second time will be a lot easier than the first time & so on ... as you learn what to do and also what not to do (common pitfalls & traps).
The gun will still get wet & dirty from normal use and some of that dirt is bound to get inside the receiver housing especially if it is a working/hunting gun like my 92s are.
The inside of the magazine tube is easy to clean with a gun cleaning rod, brushes & patches.
Every fall after the hunt when winter sets in my 92s will get their annual physical......complete stripping, cleaning, lube.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice to see another realize that working on a R92 is something that can be done! As pricedo pointed out; done one time, each additional time is so much easier!
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings and Congradulations !
Many years ago I read a statement by Admiral Rickover that says..
"Our doughts are traitors and make us loose the good we oft might win by failing to attempt." He of course is the "father" of US Naval nuclear powered ships. The obsticles he faced to "get our country in the lead" were astronomical.
Well anyway I memorized those few words deciding to live by that policy. Yes you have to know your limitations (no brain surgery yet) but basic tasks are possible if someone will just try.
Plus good advice sure helps ! Thanks Mike for this good place to hang around.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.