Question on how the 92 cycles.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Question on how the 92 cycles.

Post by Arktikos »

I have my 454 Casull cycling everything smoothly up to around 1.78 to 1.8 depending on bullet profile which seems to be all the chamber will handle. There is one small thing I have noticed particularly with my longer dummy rounds and that is at the start of the cycle, when the lever is pushed all the way down to the point which that the carrier is lifted. If this forward movement of the lever is done fast enough it causes a small jam where the back of the round gets lifted up before the nose gets out of the mag tube. Do it slightly slower and it doesn't do this. Could this be because of inadequate magazine spring pressure, or is it just a peculiarity with the 454 Casull 92?
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Question on how the 92 cycles.

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Is this condition with just one round in the magazine tube ? Does this happen with two or more rounds in the tube ?
Easy test is to load one round. Open the bolt about 2/3 of the way. Trip the cartridge release on the left receiver wall. Does the one loaded cartridge come onto the lifter with some speed or slowly ?
Could be a burr / rough lip on the mag tube opening.
Heavy bullets also slow down these opporations.
Old lever shooters were cautious about getting below 2 rounds in the mag tube of pistol caliber carbines.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Missionary wrote:Greetings
Is this condition with just one round in the magazine tube ? Does this happen with two or more rounds in the tube ?
Easy test is to load one round. Open the bolt about 2/3 of the way. Trip the cartridge release on the left receiver wall. Does the one loaded cartridge come onto the lifter with some speed or slowly ?
Could be a burr / rough lip on the mag tube opening.
Heavy bullets also slow down these opporations.
Old lever shooters were cautious about getting below 2 rounds in the mag tube of pistol caliber carbines.
Mike in Peru
Its kind of intermittent.. Sometimes when cycling fast they will feed and sometimes, particularly the 454 length dummy cartridges will hang in the bottom coming out the mag tube. Pull the lever just a little back and then open it and they will pop right into place. I got the 1.78 to do it with 4 rounds in the tube ahead of it, the short 1.6 OAL never does it. If I just remember to go just slightly slower it is no problem at all so maybe I'll have to remember those old lever action shooters and take it easy!
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Sounds like some of the finickyness that mine did when new. The more the action was worked, the better it got.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

My 92s all cycled effortlessly after my strip/clean/deburr/lube regimen.
I do it first thing with every new Rossi I buy.
The Rio Grande was simple........was done in an hour.
Why leave dirt, grit, and rough spots (burrs) in the gun when they're so easy to remove?
I haven't cleaned up a new Rossi yet that didn't have at least a little crud & a coupla burrs that needed removing.
When I tested my new 335 grain ammo through my M92/454 this PM I operated the finger lever with 1 finger.
Those rounds literally flew thru the gun.
The gun was never rough but after the regimen was performed WHAT A DIFFERENCE !
I didn't need to alter any of the parts (other than deburring) to get a noticeable improvement.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:My 92s all cycled effortlessly after my strip/clean/deburr/lube regimen.
Why leave dirt, grit, and rough spots (burrs) in the gun when they're so easy to remove?
I haven't cleaned up a new Rossi yet that didn't have at least a little crud & a coupla burrs that needed removing.
When I tested my new 335 grain ammo through my M92/454 this PM I operated the finger lever with 1 finger.
I didn't need to alter any of the parts (other than deburring) to get a noticeable improvement.
I did manage to remove gunk and did clean up one burr when I had it apart last week. One thing I didn't do was take the inner magazine tube apart and clean it out. I'll try that next but this really isn't much of a problem anyway, more was just curious if it was an idiosyncrasy of the 92's to do this..
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:
pricedo wrote:My 92s all cycled effortlessly after my strip/clean/deburr/lube regimen.
I did manage to remove gunk and did clean up one burr when I had it apart last week. One thing I didn't do was take the inner magazine tube apart and clean it out. I'll try that next but this really isn't much of a problem anyway, more was just curious if it was an idiosyncrasy of the 92's to do this..
There was a lot of hardened gunk in the Rio Grande that had to be wire brushed out of the receiver.
In situations where guys don't strip & clean their guns from the getgo this stuff dissolves in the new oil and becomes a grinding compound which will prematurely wear the "guts" out of the action.
Rossi must have warehoused that gun in a Florida bayou near their new location.
There was a lot of stuff in the magazine tube of the RG too & if left in it will work its way down into the action.
I was glad to see after the clean-up that there was in fact very little rust & the metal was clean with no pitting.
The 92s were much cleaner than the RG but I'm glad I got rid of the crud & the burrs.
I'm going to strip & clean my guns every year right after the hunting season.
You get so you can strip & reassemble a 92 or RG levergun with one hand tied behind your back.
I don't have to think about what to do next any more it's all "muscle memory" like swimming & riding a bicycle.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA