Damn 92's breed like crazy

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Tazman1602

Damn 92's breed like crazy

Post by Tazman1602 »

OK, you guys are bad bad bad. I bought a Rossi 92 a few months back just to see if I could make "the piece of junk" work.............and I did................and I got extremely good at it so I have two now. One is a 24" barrel case hardened model that I just love, the other is a big loop 16" barrel that I love more for carrying.

The problem? Wife shot my 16" saddle ring carbine .357 and REALLY liked it so I had to buy her one and in the process a 20" barrel .44 Mag fell into my cart! So far I have four Rossi's that cost about the same as two Marlins of the same caliber. After springing and smoothing my rifles I have had ZERO issues with feeding and function.

If anyone has any advice on the .44 Mag lever Rossi please post, I don't have any experience with these and don't know what issues I may run into if any.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Damn 92's breed like crazy

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I loose more guns due to Mrs Willy shooting them than I care to think about. She had my 1892 for a while there, but I convinced her that the Marlin 1894C would be a better gun for her than my 1892's ol' heavy 24" barrel. Then I had to fix up the Marlin for her. But I got my Navy Arms back unlike the other dozen or so guns that she's shot of mine.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tazman1602 wrote:OK, you guys are bad bad bad
+1
Michael
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Tazman1602 wrote:OK, you guys are bad bad bad. I bought a Rossi 92 a few months back just to see if I could make "the piece of junk" work.............and I did................and I got extremely good at it so I have two now. One is a 24" barrel case hardened model that I just love, the other is a big loop 16" barrel that I love more for carrying.

The problem? Wife shot my 16" saddle ring carbine .357 and REALLY liked it so I had to buy her one and in the process a 20" barrel .44 Mag fell into my cart! So far I have four Rossi's that cost about the same as two Marlins of the same caliber. After springing and smoothing my rifles I have had ZERO issues with feeding and function.

If anyone has any advice on the .44 Mag lever Rossi please post, I don't have any experience with these and don't know what issues I may run into if any.

Art
Yah, that's kinda how it works, they do grow on ya real quick! I'm down to 5 of em from six, one went back to it's first home. :( My 44 is an older one with out the safety that has feed anything factory or hand loaded to factory length with out issue. She did have the mag tube back out of the receiver when firing, had to go to a longer screw to hold it on. Also had the butt stock crack, easy fix. This one came to me used, not sure how rough she had been treated before. Enjoy them, they are a joy to carry and use. DP
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Geez man they are just FUN to shoot, VERY accurate with the proper bullets, and fun to work with once you are used to their quirks. Both of the news ones are supposed to be coming in tomorrow and I can't wait to try out the .44 mag. Already have ejector springs and mag followers from Stevesgunz but the gunslinger spring kits I normally put in are backordered now. At least I found 500 rounds of .44 mag for a decent price.

I might not be able to get any more .223's for the mini's and AR's but I can cast all day for these guns......................

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

OK Guys both rifles came in yesterday. I took the .44 mag and installed the metal follower from Stevesgunz and modified the mag spring accordingly and de-gunked it. Still waiting for the backordered Gunslinger spring kits. *Evidently* the .44 Mags don't have the feeding issues I have to correct with the .357's. After degunking I put five down the tube with ZERO feeding issues.

Wifeys 16" barrel .357 will be getting the treatment tomorrow albeit without the Gunslinger springs which are still backordered. Both rifles were EXTREMELY sticky with thick, heavy grease. I gave her my already gone over 16" barrel big loop lever to cycle and then let her try her new one right out of the box. Her comment was; "This is a %@*&$ as it sits -- you ARE going to make it like your big loop rifle, right?" Well of course I am!

I'm still going to put the Gunslinger springs in both -- I like the reduced trigger pull they give, just don't know why the .357's seem to have feeding issues that need to be corrected while the .44 mag was good right out of the box. Even the stock ejector spring on the .44 mag doesn't throw brass into the next county like the out of the box .357's..........go figure.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
---Theodore Roosevelt
Deleted User 547

Post by Deleted User 547 »

Very nice! I'm still waiting on my .357. I may order the spring kit early so it's there once I get mine out of "jail". Also, pics or it didn't happen :-)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tazman1602 wrote:OK Guys both rifles came in yesterday.
You are the man Art, two at once. I don't know if I'm brave enough to face that!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

A popular saying among big game hunters is, "The work starts after you pull the trigger".
For seasoned Rossi Riflemen the work starts after you open the box.
But in retrospect sitting back looking at my 4 finely tuned Rossi leverguns I wouldn't have had it any other way.
There's a sense of accomplishment & pride associated with a gun YOU the owner had a MAJOR hand in building/rebuilding.
I'll bet that if all us Rossi Riflemen members who own for instance 20" model 92/454 rifles stood them together side by side after we rehabilitated & customized them to our liking no 2 of them would be identical.
That's because we put some our own unique personalities into our finished guns.
I personally think that is a good and positive thing.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:A popular saying among big game hunters is, "The work starts after you pull the trigger".
For seasoned Rossi Riflemen the work starts after you open the box.
But in retrospect sitting back looking at my 4 finely tuned Rossi leverguns I wouldn't have had it any other way.
There's a sense of accomplishment & pride associated with a gun YOU the owner had a MAJOR hand in building/rebuilding.
I'll bet that if all us Rossi Riflemen members who own for instance 20" model 92/454 rifles stood them together side by side after we rehabilitated & customized them to our liking no 2 of them would be identical.
That's because we put some our own unique personalities into our finished guns.
I personally think that is a good and positive thing.
+1 Well put..
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!