flat shooter

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
grandad

flat shooter

Post by grandad »

G,Day guys (never here of any gals here)
tried out the new reload today 125g winchester jhp. AR2205 19g.
open buckhorn sights. fine bead at 25m spot on, at 50m a bit more foresight right on at one hundred a full bead right on, groups got larger but a pig would be in trouble,generall this is fairly flat trajectory. conditions sodden heavy rain gave up but had a good morning.
Competition called of. Last month comp called off just after start some old fella had a heart attack and died right there.
Grandad
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: flat shooter

Post by Ranch Dog »

grandad wrote:Competition called of. Last month comp called off just after start some old fella had a heart attack and died right there.
You fellows play rough!
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning Flat Shooter
I await to read what a 125 will do to a pig... not metalic. More whitetail deer have bben wounded with too light weight 357 bullets in Illinois than I care to help track. The 180's do a good job and the 158' s seem OK. But 140's and less just do not have enough mass to get through a whitetail except a nice broadside shot through the ribs. A 10 pound pig has to be equal to a 200 pound + white tail doe for toughness.
But on steel... no problem. Happily you do not have to track those down for the feed later in the day.
Been starting our church service at 7 am as the people wanted and we like it.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

A full 1/16" bead at 100 yards is about 4 MOA. That is pretty flat shooting for a pistol cartridge.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I've become enamored with heavy hard cast lead bullets as very efficient killers of big game animals after having witnessed their performance last fall on elk & moose.
I don't know how heavy a cast bullet could be fired from a Rossi 92 in 357 Mag that would cycle through the action yet leave enough powder space for a sufficient charge of propellant to make it effective.
I guesstimate around 180 - 200 grains for a 357 Mag hard cast flatnose as the basis for an optimum performing load.
No doubt LIL'GUN would be a good powder to start load development with.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
grandad

Post by grandad »

well this month comp was a washout with heavy rain yuk.
hunting bullets. use 158g JHP Over 17g AR2205 around 1700fps.range 100m,you will find with our pigs,invariably have been wallowing and have dried mud on their shoulders and sides. have seen a few .223 -243.that can not get thru this let alone the hide.standing pig head shot ok. these are tough critters and even worse at close quarters.prefered cals.are usually .270,.308.
Grandad :roll:
grandad

Post by grandad »

Missionary wrote:Good morning Flat Shooter
I await to read what a 125 will do to a pig... not metalic. More whitetail deer have bben wounded with too light weight 357 bullets in Illinois than I care to help track. The 180's do a good job and the 158' s seem OK. But 140's and less just do not have enough mass to get through a whitetail except a nice broadside shot through the ribs. A 10 pound pig has to be equal to a 200 pound + white tail doe for toughness.
But on steel... no problem. Happily you do not have to track those down for the feed later in the day.
Been starting our church service at 7 am as the people wanted and we like it.
Mike in Peru
Mike hi. our Baptist church had a missionary over there,small world. Re:bullet weights you are right in .357m i load up 158g JHP
At 150m you can usually bowl over a 80kg pig. usually use a 308 but have got into these levers. Have since aquired a rio grand 30-30. a 150g at 2300fps will pull up most pigs at 150m. In chanel country and flat cropland it is hard to get a shot much over that.
big difference is the competition shooting i do, this is all open-peep sights, but it is amazing how well you can shoot open sights when you have to .
Regards Grandad