Help! Receiver mounting a Burris Fastfire to a 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
rockat

Help! Receiver mounting a Burris Fastfire to a 92

Post by rockat »

Hi guys,

I have been searching for an eternity for a picture or a post by someone who has mounted a Burris FastFire on the receiver of a Rossi 92 using the Burris Winchester 94 mount. If anyone could post or find a close up photo of the mounting it would be much appreciated. I'm more interested in working out how to mount it to a 92, but some pictures of a 94 would help if someone has done that.

This is one of two photos of that setup I can find and it's from the Burris website. As you can see (sort of), it's mounted on a top eject 94. They give some explanation in the instruction manual, but unfortunately it's pretty limited.

This is the mount that Burris produces for the Win 94. Note that the mount is shown upside down, so the curved portion would actually be straddling the bolt.
This is the photo from the FastFire installation manual:

If anyone has done this exact setup to a 92 I would be eternally grateful and worship you as a god if you could post some photos and tell me how you did it.

I'm asking because I'd really like to do it and I see no reason why it couldn't be used on a 92, it's sort of been done already with the XS ghost rings sights like this:
Image (Pic is from Steve of Steve's Gunz).
Obviously the safety will have to be plugged and made flush, the bolt lugs will have to be taken into consideration and I will have to have the receiver drilled and tapped to suit. I've done some rough measurements with a 92 in my local shop and it should just fit, however I won't be sure until my FastFire, mount and rifle all arrive sometime soon. Also, this will be mounted on a .44 mag 92.

I think I have seen a post or photo of every possible way of mounting a Fastfire to a 92/94 (Marlin, Winchester and Rossi), except this way. Which is strange because while the other solutions might be easier, this one would probably be the best use of the FastFire ,which only has a very small "objective" for lack of a better term.

They can be mounted in the scout position with the Rossi rail and a picatinny mount; or like Steve/Nate Kiowa Jones has done;

or with a B Square mount like AJMD429 from another forum;

or even with Turnbull's custom mount for 1894's (And supposedly 1892's but they only mention it once on the website) which is actually where I first got the idea from. However I'd like a more "clean" mounting solution. If all else fails I'm going to get the Turnbull mount.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers, Rock

P.S.
Now, because I'm sure some of you will ask why I even want to "ruin" a perfectly good lever gun with something like this, it's because I live in Australia. We don't have access to anything semi-auto (except for a few very, very lucky people), otherwise I'd have bought an AR or a Mini 14 or any other number of rifles that would have been far easier to adapt to my purposes. We hunt pigs at night using spotlights from utes (trucks) and I'm usually on the back. I needed something that was fast cycling and had fast target acquisition for shots under 150 meters. My other choice was a Remington 7600 in something like .308, but I already have a bolt action in .308 and I've always wanted a lever :D. The Rossi being nice and light and compact (and about half the price of 7600) is a big plus too.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help! Receiver mounting a Burris Fastfire to a 92

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum Rockat! Very nice indeed. It seems that the mount would rather easy to align with the Locking Bolts in position. All would come down to drilling and tapping two screw holes if the M94 mount will fit on the R92. I could measure the differences in the receivers tomorrow. Mount is not cheap: Amazon Burris FastFire Mount # 410334 ($53)
Michael
rockat

Post by rockat »

Thanks Ranch Dog! That would be much appreciated. Yep,it's not cheap but I've ordered it anyway on the hunch that I can get it to work. I'm fairly sure they 94 and 92 receivers are very similar. If not, I'll return it and get the Turnbull mount which is even more expensive :( With the way shipping is to Australia from the US it was cheaper for me to buy it with the Fastfire and hope that it worked. One way or another I'll get it to work :D
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning and another Welcome Rockat.
I find this interesting as I also live where semi-auto long guns are looked at as sinister and evil.
Do not forget to think about ejection. I am still trying to get a Rossi down here with me in Peru... Maybe this year.
Be sure that mount and sight will permit that empty to clear the receiver into the air somewhere. My 1892 44-40 down here throws the case well to the right but there is some rear dirrectional movement. I do not know how far forward a sight could be mounted on the rear bridge that would not interfere. I guess a feller could make a styrefoam mockup and duct tape it on and see what happens.
I find this interesting... Make for a good home defense tool to repel boarders also.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.

Post by 0369 »

Looking at the two pictures, I see clearance cuts for the lugs in one photo but don't see them in the mounted photo. If need be to avoid the cost of getting the Turnbull, I'd be happy to mill it for clearance for the cost of shipping. I can't compare the 94 and M92 since I've not had a 94 for almost 30 years, but I can be sure it will fit on the 92 if you need som milling done.
lv2tinker

Post by lv2tinker »

Here is a photo of my Winchester 94, Pre 64, 30-30 and my newly purchased Rossi 92 357.

Top Rossi 92:
Receiver Total Width at the Safety=1.073”
Bolt Width= 0.577”

Bottom Win 94:
Receiver Total Width at the locking lug=1.123”
Receiver Width across the top flats=0.905”
Bolt Width= 0.577”

Hope this helps….
Rossi92-Win94-4-email.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rockat

Post by rockat »

Thanks guys!
Missionary wrote:
Be sure that mount and sight will permit that empty to clear the receiver into the air somewhere. My 1892 44-40 down here throws the case well to the right but there is some rear dirrectional movement. I do not know how far forward a sight could be mounted on the rear bridge that would not interfere. I guess a feller could make a styrefoam mockup and duct tape it on and see what happens.
That was my plan. There should be just enough room to mount it, I did a quick measurement on one in my local shop. Hopefully the casing goes to the right or left. I will just have to see what happens when it turns up.
0369 wrote:Looking at the two pictures, I see clearance cuts for the lugs in one photo but don't see them in the mounted photo. If need be to avoid the cost of getting the Turnbull, I'd be happy to mill it for clearance for the cost of shipping. I can't compare the 94 and M92 since I've not had a 94 for almost 30 years, but I can be sure it will fit on the 92 if you need som milling done.
Thanks for the offer mate. Unfortunately, unless you're in Australia it might be a bit difficult to organise :D There are a fer engineering shops near me that can do the work though.
lv2tinker wrote:Here is a photo of my Winchester 94, Pre 64, 30-30 and my newly purchased Rossi 92 357.

Top Rossi 92:
Receiver Total Width at the Safety=1.073”
Bolt Width= 0.577”

Bottom Win 94:
Receiver Total Width at the locking lug=1.123”
Receiver Width across the top flats=0.905”
Bolt Width= 0.577”

Hope this helps….
Thanks so much for that! Even with the difference in receiver width, I might just get away with it because it looks like the mount doesn't go the full width of the 94 receiver. The bolt widths being the same is even better news. It certainly looks like this could be possible now.
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

Hello Rockat,

I hope you can find a way to mount your Fastfire in the way you are wanting to. However if you cannot, please rest assured that mounting it on a Weaver scout rail a bit farther down the barrel is also a good option. I have my Fastfire III mounted thus on my R92 .357 and really appreciate the extra 2-eye peripheral visibility afforded by having the sight farther from my eye. The distance also makes the 3MOA dot appear smaller, closer to a 1 or 2MOA dot, which allows for more precision shooting.
rockat

Post by rockat »

Lostcoast wrote:Hello Rockat,
I hope you can find a way to mount your Fastfire in the way you are wanting to. However if you cannot, please rest assured that mounting it on a Weaver scout rail a bit farther down the barrel is also a good option. I have my Fastfire III mounted thus on my R92 .357 and really appreciate the extra 2-eye peripheral visibility afforded by having the sight farther from my eye. The distance also makes the 3MOA dot appear smaller, closer to a 1 or 2MOA dot, which allows for more precision shooting.
Thanks for the info. I might try this as well just to see how it goes anyway. A quick question, how is the sight picture through the Fastfire with it mounted that far away? Part of my reasoning for wanting to mount it on the receiver was to maximize the field of view.
eudyta63

Post by eudyta63 »

The "field of view" with a red dot or holographic sight is not the same issue as "field of view" thru a regular scope in my opinion.The red dot type optics you want to keep both eyes open and look at the target not the dot.By keeping both eyes open this alone give you the greatest "field of view".I've used an Aimpoint mounted forward and once you get used to keeping both eyes open there is very little if any issues with field of view.