Did NOT bring enough ammo to the range!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Did NOT bring enough ammo to the range!

Post by Arktikos »

Just the second time out with my new Rossi 454 Casull, brought a hundred rounds of various ammo I loaded for my Blackhawk and Marlin, both 45 Colts. Anyway, the Rossi performed flawlessly with everything I had put into it. What a fun little gun to shoot! I had some 200gr with 7.1gr of Titegroup which I never could shoot in my Marlin because of the powder burn it would leave across my cheek! Just not enough pressure with that light bullet to seal that huge chamber. Not a problem with the tight chambered Rossi! I tried out some 325gr Beartooth GC with 18.2 gr of LilGun, nice! I even was able to feed some 335gr WFN (I'm talking .375" wide flat nose) that were 1.675" COAL, fed perfectly.. Those would only feed in my Marlin in my dreams.. It seemed to group pretty good with everything especially considering the buckhorn sight isn't that great for my tired eyes. I was getting about 2" to 3" groups at 50 yds but believe those will tighten up with the tang mounted peep I plan for it. Anyway, not much point to this post other than to say with just the second time out with this gunI am totally satisfied thus far with the Rossi. I don't need to replace the ejector spring as it only launches the brass about 12 to 24 inches on average (just enough to catch it with my left hand) or if I lever it slow it will often leave the empty brass just sitting on top of the receiver, tipped 90 degrees vertical. About the only negative I have is I might want to look into lightening up the trigger just a bit. Now the next hurdle is to see how it does with 454 Casull length rounds. +guns
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
357cyrus

Re: Did NOT bring enough ammo to the range!

Post by 357cyrus »

Sounds good! Don't worry too much about yr eyes. I've got 20/20 visions, my front sight painted hunter orange, rear sight painted baby blue, and I'm still thinkin they need replaced. :shock:
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Deleted User 547

Post by Deleted User 547 »

100 rounds seems like a warm up!
:-)
apache67

Post by apache67 »

I don't think I ever take enough ammo. I always leave wanting more :D
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Awesome! Good to see another 454 in play here on the forum.

...typos courtesy of Tapatalk!
Michael
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Glad you got a 454 too! Triggers on both of mine a darn good, and both feed colt cartridges as well as 454's. With full house loads, my trapper is really lively, needs a firm hand on the front end or she will jump out of it, the 20" not so bad. Enjoy, the fun has just begun! DP
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I have read a fair amount of bad stuff about Rossi, particularly the 92's that I just sorta braced myself for something to be wrong with the gun, even though I did get to have a look at it first and it seemed fine, I am new to Rossi and just figured I missed something. I have been wanting one of these for a long while, probably after reading about them from a Paco Kelly article so when one finally came up locally I was ready to take the chance. Anyway I am sure other people have had problems, but I wonder how many good ones are out there as well that we just don't hear about? Still need to see about feeding the longer cartridges, just wont know until my 454 Casull brass gets here but thanks to Ranch Dog figuring it out, I believe I can handle that issue myself..
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:Still need to see about feeding the longer cartridges, just wont know until my 454 Casull brass gets here but thanks to Ranch Dog figuring it out, I believe I can handle that issue myself..
I suspect that your rifle will be fine. I think I just received the bad apple is all.
Michael
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

Yes, the problem is not that Rossi makes bad rifles and carbines as on average they do not. Rather the problem is that they do not catch the small number of bad ones at the factory and correct them before they ship. You'll hear about most of those while happy campers won't be as vocal.

Mine was just fine and a pleasure to shoot.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Model 52 wrote:Yes, the problem is not that Rossi makes bad rifles and carbines as on average they do not. Rather the problem is that they do not catch the small number of bad ones at the factory and correct them before they ship. You'll hear about most of those while happy campers won't be as vocal.

Mine was just fine and a pleasure to shoot.
I believe that is right. It will likely always be one of those makes that will be in the category of inspect first before buying, but really I wouldn't want it any other way as that is the very thing that makes these still AFFORDABLE guns, and are, at least with my gun, well made and a great value under the constraints of the money being charged. If I wanted one that was guaranteed perfect, there are alternatives and of course will fully expect to pay more. The older pre Remington Marlins were also a nice balance between QC and price and were also affordable. I have seen their price rise some while the quality dropped on the new ones, maybe a sign of the times...