Ejector spring

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Sosoomi

Ejector spring

Post by Sosoomi »

In my never ending journey to achieve perfection in my R92, :D, I have smoothed the action and followed the hints on Steve's vid!

The, mag spring reduction was wonderful...

I am close, however, having replaced the mag follower I just could not get the spring kit from Steve to fit/work... It just seems too long. Has anyone else run into this!

It seemed to me that the stock spring really adds a lot of resistance to the final inch closing the action, and as you know, launching the empty casings into orbit!

Reduce the stock spring in length, cut down Steve's replacement spring?

Any tips?

Cheers....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ejector spring

Post by Ranch Dog »

My rifles place the brass in a neat little pile where I'm standing and flip it up just high enough that I have the time to catch it. That said, I have a couple of SG springs and thought I would try putting one in to see the change. I noticed what you did, It place the bolt under a lot of tension during assembly so I stopped and removed it and went back with the original spring.
Michael
deadkelly

Post by deadkelly »

i shortend my stock mag spring 2.5" & deburr'd & ran 600 grit wet & dry paper over all the sharp edges & it defenetly felt alot better . but i didn't strip the bolt & change out the ejector spring yet . my rossi has been sent back because it still does not feed . still waiting to get it back .
22 lr, 22 mag, 22 hornet, 22remjet, 204 r, 243, 270/303, 270w, 30/30, 308, 303, 375ruger, 454, .58 zouave, 410g, 20g, 12g, 1 dog & 383 mopar lifes good .
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I noted that with SG's longer spring you pretty much have to assemble the ejector and spring assembly as Steve shows in the video - using the lever and a dummy round or fired case.

But despite being longer, once properly assembled it works great. It's longer, but it's also lighter and eases the closing and prevents the case from being launched 3 feet above the gun.
Sosoomi

Post by Sosoomi »

Ranch Dog wrote:My rifles place the brass in a neat little pile where I'm standing and flip it up just high enough that I have the time to catch it. That said, I have a couple of SG springs and thought I would try putting one in to see the change. I noticed what you did, It place the bolt under a lot of tension during assembly so I stopped and removed it and went back with the original spring.
Ranch Dog...

Did you modify the stock ejector spring or does it just settle down with time?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

No, I did not modify the factory spring. Yes, I think it wears in with use.

...typos courtesy of Tapatalk!
Michael
Airwolf

Post by Airwolf »

I had the exact same problem and like a previous post, it required a dummy round to get everything back together.

I must admit, it was a royal PIA, but once I had it in, it worked like a champ.

I sure hope I don't have to pull the bolt again...
Jeff
Lognut04

Post by Lognut04 »

I bought the Gunslinger spring kit as well and at first thought the ejector spring was waaaay too long, although a lighter spring. After several failed attempts to engage the lever into the bolt while in the receiver with the empty cartridge holding the ejector in place, I finally had to see if it was even possible to use the new spring. I placed the bolt in a padded vice, held the ejector in place with a cartridge and managed to engage the lever into the bolt. After practicing this a few times (and picking the spring and ejector up off the shop floor several times........), I tried the process again with the bolt in the receiver. Amazingly, it went in on the first attempt. The Gunslinger spring works great and drops the casings at your feet.

Oh, I also bought the stainless mag spring and follower from the Smith Shop and they worked perfectly without having to shorten the spring. My experience has only been with a SS .44 mag 24" barrel rifle. That's probably why the spring didn't need to be shortened.
jnewell

Post by jnewell »

I replaced the stock spring with Steve's spring this weekend - the results are very noticeable, and not just in the last inch or so of travel closing the action - which doesn't make sense logically, unless I managed to get the rifle back together better than the Braztech guys did in the first place? :mrgreen: Ejection is still very positive, it just stays within county limits. :lol:
Sosoomi

Post by Sosoomi »

At long last I decided to tackle the ejector spring replacement again.... I was tired of chasing my brass all over the place... Additionally I bought another R92 in 44 mag and just didn't want the same issue with it...

The technique I settled on, incidentally I am certain I read it here (THANKS!) was to insert the ejector pin into the bolt before trying to install the spring. What this accomplished was to hold the ejector collar in place so the pressure from the spring didn't send the collar into orbit. I found if you held the bolt upside down the collar rested in place until I slide the pin in.... I only put the pin in far enough to retain the collar yet be easy enough to remove before installation of the bolt.

Once the collar was in place I slid the spring and ejector into place and held it there with a spent cartridge. Where my third hand came in useful was removing the pin but with some dexterity I popped it out and slid the bolt into the receiver and engaged the casing into the chamber. The rest of the reassembly was uneventful.

As with everyone else's experience...the ejected casings fall to your feet or onto the table if shooting from one....

Am I happy now? YES! Happy, happy, happy!