Parts fell off!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
exdetsgt

Parts fell off!

Post by exdetsgt »

At the range last week I shot about 50 rounds of mixed 38/357 through my relatively new Rossi M92. Rifle worked fine and was quite accurate at 100 yards. Handed it to Captain Ed, our Arizona Ranger's firearms instructor and he said that it seemed to want to hang up with 357 ammo but never actually did. As it was getting dark we hung it up. Today I decided to clean the Rossi and notice a hole where a screw should be. It would be the screw furthest forward on the right. I shined my brightest flashlight in the hole; no threads.

Then I consulted the manual and learned that the missing screw holds the right cartridge guide in place. The guide is of course threaded. The guide is also missing, along with the screw. Parts #48 and #49.

Perhaps that accounted for Captain Ed's complaint?

Can I just call Rossi Monday morning and order the parts, or must I ship the rifle back? I just learned, from reading other posts, that I also need to supply the serial number when ordering parts. It is K311916. Is this a newer model?

In any event, Locktite is in order. I understand there are two different kinds of Locktite; which one should I use?

Any information would be most helpful.
Deleted User 547

Re: Parts fell off!

Post by Deleted User 547 »

Blue loctite. The rest I'm sure some more seasoned members will chime in on.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes, just call them and get the parts. If it is a brand new rifle I would be after them to send you the parts without sending the rifle in. I wonder where the guide went?
Michael
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

The right side cartridge guide also holds the cartridge stop and spring, so if it's gone what holds the next round in the magazine?

Are you sure it's really missing or just loose and misaligned?
lv2tinker

Post by lv2tinker »

This link shows the feeding guides:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 126115a16e

If yours looks like this, then everyting is probley OK. Just retighten the screws on "both" sides of the receiver and your good to go.
The "missing" screw your refering to on the Right side of the receiver is most likely the punch pin hole used to drive out the Lever-Breech Block pin when removing the bolt and there is no screw in that one.

Check out this link.
Disassemble and Reassembly of the Rossi m92 and Bolt: http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=543
lv2tinker

Post by lv2tinker »

Model 52 wrote:The right side cartridge guide also holds the cartridge stop and spring, so if it's gone what holds the next round in the magazine?

Are you sure it's really missing or just loose and misaligned?
Don't you mean the "Left" cartridge guide?
exdetsgt

Post by exdetsgt »

Thanks, lv2tinker. I looked at the pictures and then opened the rifle. The right cartridge guide is clearly there, so I guess the unthreaded hole really is for a punch pin.

However, the schematic diagram in the manual shows the guide screw going into that hole (the highest and most forward of all on the right side).
I guess what I should do today is take it back to the range and see if it cycles properly.
exdetsgt

Post by exdetsgt »

Won;t be going to the range today. 35 mph wind that will worsen in the afternoon.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The parts diagram in the R92 manual is wrong. I believe the unthreaded you mention is the punch access to the Lever & Breechbolt pin (64).
receiver parts_01.jpg
The carrier screw actual goes into the hole immediate below and aft of the magazine port. The Right Cartridge Guide screw uses the hole immediately above the port.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
exdetsgt

Post by exdetsgt »

Ranch Dog -

I really appreciate your post w/diagram. I could not reconcile the diagram with the reality of the Rossi M92 in front of me on the table. Now I know why, and there's actually nothing wrong with my rifle! That's good news.
Don't know if it will do much good, but I'm going to call Rossi in the morning and point out the error.