New (to me) M92.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
vedearduff

New (to me) M92.

Post by vedearduff »

Hello the camp.

I just purchased a second hand M92 in .45 Colt. It's the 24" rifle and is blued.

I've not had a chance to get to the range. While looking it over, I noticed a missing screw on the left side of the receiver. On the exploded view, it's key number 65. I've e-mailed Steve (Steves Guns) about getting a replacement. I suspect that I should hold off on the range trip until I have replaced the missing screw.

Once I get a chance to shoot some photos, I'll post a few.
Vernon in Indiana

Hirams Rangers
NRA
NMLRA
NCOWS
Sosoomi

Re: New (to me) M92.

Post by Sosoomi »

That, I believe, is a plug screw. You remove it and drift a pin out from the right side before removing the lever. It's only function is to fill the hole the pin comes out.

I am certain others will chime in here but if it were mine I'd shoot it while waiting for the screw to arrive.

Cheers
vedearduff

Post by vedearduff »

That fits with the part description on the parts list.

If I get a chance to get to the range before I get the screw, I just may do so. Thanks for the reply.
Vernon in Indiana

Hirams Rangers
NRA
NMLRA
NCOWS
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum vedearduff! Yeap, that is what it is. There is very little danger of the Lever & Breechbolt Pin from coming out. You should be able to call Rossi for the part. If your rifle is not a Braztech, PM me and I will give you a serial number to use for the part.
Michael
vedearduff

Post by vedearduff »

Thaks for the information. My rifle is from Braztech, I'll contact them.
Vernon in Indiana

Hirams Rangers
NRA
NMLRA
NCOWS
vedearduff

Post by vedearduff »

I finally made it to the range. Still no photos, I should be able to shoot a few tomorrow.

I put 100 rounds through my Rossi at 50 yards. POI coincides with POA at this range and I'm getting 3 to 4 inch groups (5 shots per group) off hand. This was with Winchester Cowboy loads.

I'm sorry it took so long for me to update this post.
Vernon in Indiana

Hirams Rangers
NRA
NMLRA
NCOWS
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

vedearduff wrote:I finally made it to the range. Still no photos, I should be able to shoot a few tomorrow.

I put 100 rounds through my Rossi at 50 yards. POI coincides with POA at this range and I'm getting 3 to 4 inch groups (5 shots per group) off hand. This was with Winchester Cowboy loads.

I'm sorry it took so long for me to update this post.
Do you mean "off hand" as in "standing"? If so, that's pretty good shooting regardless of the gun for a non match shooter. If you mean "off hand" as in holding the gun in hand over some form of support, it's still good accuracy, but the rifle should be able to deliver a bit more.

If I shoot over the top of my range bag or similar field expedient rest with tang sights at 50 yards I can normally get my 20" .45 Colt carbine to put 2 or 3 shots in one ragged hole with a couple fliers opening it up to one and a half to two inches center to center, and I'm happy with that.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I've seen off hand groups of 4' - 5" shrink to 2"- 3" groups or less just from a couple of lessons in breathing control.
Off hand shooting is a blend of rifle/load and shooter capabilities.
When I range test a rifle I like to do it on a bench rest or sand bags to eliminate the effects of shooter error as much as possible in order to get a base line of what the rifle & load combination can do.
I practice off hand shooting once I get my load recipe to where it needs to be to maximize rifle/load accuracy & effectiveness (velocity) for the particular bullet I'll be shooting in the context of the type of hunting I'll be doing.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
vedearduff

Post by vedearduff »

Model 52 wrote:Do you mean "off hand" as in "standing"? If so, that's pretty good shooting regardless of the gun for a non match shooter. If you mean "off hand" as in holding the gun in hand over some form of support, it's still good accuracy, but the rifle should be able to deliver a bit more.

If I shoot over the top of my range bag or similar field expedient rest with tang sights at 50 yards I can normally get my 20" .45 Colt carbine to put 2 or 3 shots in one ragged hole with a couple fliers opening it up to one and a half to two inches center to center, and I'm happy with that.
Thanks for the comment.

Yes, I do mean standing. To me, off hand means standing and unsupported. If I were hunting, I would take advantage of any support I could find. This trip was purely for function testing the rifle. I will be shooting from the bench, using a rest, when I shoot for accuracy.

My primary use for this rifle will be hunting and as a truck gun. I will be adding a Ruger Old Model Vaquero or Blackhawk as a companion revolver for my Rossi. I have an SAA clone in .45 Colt, but the rifle can handle loads that will disassemble the SAA clone.

Thanks again.

Edited to add a quickphoto of my M92. Here is an overall shot.
Vernon in Indiana

Hirams Rangers
NRA
NMLRA
NCOWS