.357m lead projectiles

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
grandad

.357m lead projectiles

Post by grandad »

does any one have any experience with 125g lead projectiles. is it necassary to lubricate. any leading problems.
load is 125g lead 20g AR2205 Around 2000fps.
Grandad
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: .357m lead projectiles

Post by Ranch Dog »

grandad wrote:does any one have any experience with 125g lead projectiles. is it necassary to lubricate. any leading problems.
load is 125g lead 20g AR2205 Around 2000fps.
Grandad
There is a lot answering this question, there is no simple answer as the information is kind of thin. What matters is how well the bullet fits the leade, step, and throat. I can take a pretty good guess and suggest that it doesn't fit if it is for the R92 as there is just not enough lead, read length of such a light weight projectile. Cast lead bullets need to be lubed.
Michael
grandad

Post by grandad »

Thanks for reply mate.
i did not think this was going to be simple.
best shooter in our club uses this load, albeit from a Marlin 20" baarrel, his theory being to use lighter projectile,increase velocity and flatten the trajectory.
i will get a box lighter projectiles to prove theory one way or another.
even with 158g the trajectory is not all that bad.
competition is over 25m 50m 75m 100m.
for this i do not alter sights,simply go from fine bead to higher bead.
I will let you know how i get on.
your comment re lead i take as length of throat.to that end i am controlled by overall length of cartridge.
Or.do you mean length of projectile which i can understand (i like long bullets)
Regards Grandad
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

grandad wrote:your comment re lead i take as length of throat.to that end i am controlled by overall length of cartridge.
Or.do you mean length of projectile which i can understand (i like long bullets)
I'm talking about total fit to the chamber. Lead bullets do not perform well if there is much airspace around them and they are unsupported.
Michael
grandad

Post by grandad »

Thanks for reply.
have been advised to fit gas checks to lead bullets, will find out more today.
Grandad
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

gas checks are not really necessary.
the pistol caliber lever guns should do 1600+ easily with a plain base.
for 25m-100m shooting you don't need warp speed projectiles,13-1400 fps will shoot flat enough you won't notice..
for even the levergun silhouette games [25-100m] i have shot scores in the 30's with 158 gr cast bullets in the 38 special case,poking along at less than stellar speed.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Had to go back and re-read the posts as I was wondering why the light weight boolits...
Have been shooting lever carbines many yeras..actually my first center fire was a Marlin flipper lever. One thing I know for sure is the recoil of pistol loads in a carbine is very easy to handle. On an average of 300 + fps gain over revolver velocities with even low pressured loads accuracy far out weighs flatter trajectory at 100 yards. With a mild load of a powder like 2400 there is going to be so little recoil but probably significant accuracy gain with a 150 + grain bullet.
But then I would try the 125's also. That is the fun of realoding.. the quest to find that golden load for your particular chamber.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Airwolf

Post by Airwolf »

I have been using 125G SWC's for years with good luck. Leading is due to excessive velocity when using cast bullets.

Use hard cast bullets and keep the muzzle velocity below around 1600 fps and you will be fine.
Jeff
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Airwolf wrote:I have been using 125G SWC's for years with good luck. Leading is due to excessive velocity when using cast bullets.

Use hard cast bullets and keep the muzzle velocity below around 1600 fps and you will be fine.
Leading is usually blamed on velocity and velocity usually has the least to do with it. Leading is usually caused by the worng choice of the wrong alloy for the pressuring being applied to it.

Here is an excellent article on Leading, it's causes and corrections: Leading -- The Cast Bullet Nemesis by Glen E. Fryxell.
Michael