Range trip, then shopping

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
scottz

Range trip, then shopping

Post by scottz »

I took the day off and was at the local indoor range when they opened to try out some new loads in .45 Colt. I had 250gr RNFP over 10gr Universal and 300grXTP Mag over 20 and 21 gr IMR4227. All three loads worked fine. One note, I wasn't using the Rossi today, these were in my 4 5/8" Blackhawk. I think 10gr Universal is my limit for recreational shooting In fact, I'll probably just stick with 8 gr to make the powder last longer. It was really weird after firing off those rounds to pick up the Bearcat and shoot .22LR.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk HD
scottz

Re: Range trip, then shopping

Post by scottz »

Oh yeah, the part about shopping. I stopped off at a little gun store here that seems to be less visited and more likely to have reloading supplies in stock. The 250gr 500 count boxes I bought recently for $63 are now $93. So, back home and online for deals.

The nice folks at Rimrock Bullets set me up with a shipment for 1000 for about $120 with shipping, and even patiently worked with me on the credit cards. I had received several Visa gift cards and they worked with me to use multiple cards for the purchase. I think after my order they're not going to do that again. I will most likely be ordering from them again as long as the bullets work out ok.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk HD
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

dude that's like $3.00 per pound for cast boolits, holy moses.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

runfiverun wrote:dude that's like $3.00 per pound for cast boolits, holy moses.
It works out to $3.36 per pound. There is a time when I'd have just cast my own, but now time is more valuable to me than money, and I just don't enjoy casting the way I used to. So I'm with the OP on this one - $3.36 per pound is worth every penny.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

12¢ a bullet at your bench is good.

...typos courtesy of Tapatalk!
Michael
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

i was selling boxes of 500 for $20.00 not too long ago,and new starline 45 colt brass for 16.50 a hundred and couldn't get anyone to even lok at the brass.
i had new 45/70 for something like $35.00.
i ended up buying a 45/70 just to shoot the brass i have.
i need to get out more and look at what things cost i guess...
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

runfiverun wrote:i was selling boxes of 500 for $20.00 not too long ago,and new starline 45 colt brass for 16.50 a hundred and couldn't get anyone to even lok at the brass.
i had new 45/70 for something like $35.00.
i ended up buying a 45/70 just to shoot the brass i have.
i need to get out more and look at what things cost i guess...
I hear you. I moved, re-painted and generally refurbished the reloading bench the other day and in the process noted several older cans of powder tucked away with prices starting at $8 per pound, then $10, $16, $28 and finally $31. I thought $8 per pound was expensive at the time. Bullets are the same way. A hundred .223 55 gr FMJs used to cost all of $3.99 and feeding a larger caliber with jacketed bullets ran about $7 per hundred. So, it's been about a four fold increase over the 35 years or so that I've been reloading.

Cast bullets have been the big increase. For example I used to buy 230 gr .45 ACP bullets for $70 in boxes of 2000 10 years ago out the door at the LGS, and now they run $70 in a box of 500 - a four fold increase in a decade. I suspect more people shooting and reloading and with the high cost of jacketed bullets, more shooters have "discovered" case bullets as a way to shoot a lot more for less $, which of course increased demand and costs me more money. :?

Along with that SASS has really ruined the economics and availability of .45 Colt. It used to be a quiet, affordable caliber that not too many people wanted and had just enough support to keep components readily available. Now it's hard to ever find them in stock. I want to follow the Chic Filet Cow's lead and rent billboards that say "shoot more .44-40 and .357".