Are SWC safe in a .357 '92?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
DonP

Are SWC safe in a .357 '92?

Post by DonP »

I'm going to be reloading some .357 and .38 special this weekend for my new Rossi '82, 20 inch barrel.

I usually load 250 Gr LRNFP or JHP for my 45 Colt version with no problems, but can't find any .357 RNFP bullets in 125 or 158 Grains for the new one.

Are Semi Wad Cutters safe for a tube mag?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Are SWC safe in a .357 '92?

Post by Ranch Dog »

I want to say that my Marlin 1894C Owner's Manual said not to use SWCs in the tube but I remember no such warningto in the Rossi Handbook.

I'm out in the field waiting for dusk and hogs but will check those sources later tonight or in the morning.

...typos courtesy of Tapatalk!
Michael
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

Semi wad cutters generally have a point that is about a flat as a round nosed flat point, and it's certainly flatter than a plain round nosed bullet. None of them are problematic in a tube magazine.

What you need to avoid are spitzer bullets with there narrow point.

Now...whether a SWC will feed reliably in your Rossi is another matter and you may need to play with the OAL and crimp to get them to feed smoothly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My thoughts exactly. The flat on a SWC is no different than most of the meplats of my bullets. The Marlin Handbook does state no SWC or RN bullets in the tube. I did a google search but could not find any SWC magazine tube KABOOMS.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
The SWC warning seems to stem from the angle of the nose of the bullet when the round is laying at the angle they take up in the magazine. Lay two bullets end to end on a flat surface and you will see how the bullet nose does not lay flat but the edge of the bullet nose will be against the primer.
Now if the worst possible situation happened that edge might set off the following primer.
Can it happen ? I have shot alot of 357 mag SWC bullets out of my Marlin. Matter of fact a Lyman SWC 170 grainer is my favorite and most accurate with 12.5 grains of 2400. This mix is 50/50 so not hard. But possibly with a very sensitive primer under all the worse possible conditions all happening at once it may fire.
But then a meteor may hit me today while I am on my 175 Yamarhammer headed down town to change money.
Not real high on my list of worries.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Another question might be what is the actual result of a primer detonating in a magazine tube and not inside a tight chamber? I have to wonder if there wouldn't be just a lot of burnt and unburned power to clean up and not the dreaded chain fire episode that a lot has been written about but not necessarily about actual events but more likely just theory. Anyone actually have experience with a primer going off in the tube, or know anyone who has? And what was the result? I won't be putting this to the test anytime soon but suspect that lawyers have a lot to do with this warning just as they have with a lot of other highly unlikely events that, due to shear numbers of people out there can potentially occur in our lives.

Sent from some beach on Kauai HI
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I shoot 158 grain SWCs in my M92/357 all the time.
They have a flat nose.
What's the big deal :?:
If you've deburred & slicked up your 92 properly they should run just fine.
Might have to play with your hand loaded ammos COAL a bit to optimize the feeding efficiency through your particular 92s action.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I have shot alot of ultrmax swc factory reloads I had from years ago couple hundred through my rossi and my vaquero to get the brass so I can mke some .38spec. reloads and never had leading or any issues I do not know what they used but the powder was very dirty. But these were still better than anything I was unfortanate enough to have bought from florida's amer corperation worst ammo ever. Badd brass terrible annealing .223 casses 8 out of 10 new in box had split case necks from a merc there .45 ammo I got was bulged and just aweful. waste of money on that but I think i will continue swc in my rossi and other .38 and .357 guns.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

pricedo wrote:Image

I shoot 158 grain SWCs in my M92/357 all the time.
They have a flat nose.
What's the big deal :?:
The lawyers involved are probably more concerned about something odd like this 155 gr .45 caliber SWC. It's getting pointy enough that it could be an issue:

Mostly, just use common sense.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

When I first got my 92, I loaded and shot about 500 158gr SWC just fine in it. My Marlin on the other hand doesn't want to feed a SWC for anything.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR