#5 Smacked with R92 454 Casull!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Smacked with R92 454 Casull!

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Casull is making up for all the grief it gave me at the start. On only it's sixth shot, it just smacked a large boar digging up my yard at 1:00 am!

While I was out at work, each night a hog worked my yard immediately around my home. It flat tore it up. From the pattern of it's routing, it appeared to be always downwind of my home wherever a shadow was being cast from the various yard and landscaping lights that are on. At 10:00 tonight, my ranch dog and I went out for a check before bed and durn if a hog wasn't 20 yards from my house in the shadow, tearing things up. It was immediately downwind of us as we quietly can around the corner of the house and was gone with the warning from its keen nose. My dog and I conferred and decided if it liked shadows so well we would give it all we had so I shut every light off and the ranch house complex slipped into pitch black. I stayed up for 45 minutes, the dog went in and went to bed, I probably had should of listened to her.

My dog came and nudged me at a little before 1:00 am so I got up and went to a window that would give me a view downwind of the house. I didn't see anything immediately so went and got the binoculars, my dog would not get me up without reason, and started studying the night. There it was, out about 50 yards digging some deep holes. I dressed quickly, slipped out around the house with the shadows and wind now at my advantage. I also slipped off my shoes at the first step in the yard as the grass was very crunchy and there was not enough breeze to cover the sound of footsteps. With that I was able make it to a point where I could get a clear shot without hitting my yard fence or anything else important. I took a standing, quartering to me, shot at what a few minutes later would measured at 47-yards. Even though it was pitch black out there, the Weaver Scout had no issue defining the hog against the yellow grass. The 290-grain TLC454-290-RF at 2095 FPS really cracked this beast and he went straight down in the hole he was digging. The bullet hole on the forward part of the hog is the entry hole, I like what a large meplat does to a critter, it looks like a 2095 FPS golf ball hit him!
hog_130213.jpg
I turned the lights back on so you could see the "hunting blind" setup. I wish the picture was better as all the little dark spots in the yellow grass are divots that you could almost set a 5 gallon bucket in. What the hogs are hunting is a little "native" green onion, similar in appearance but smaller to a green onion you would buy in the store for your salad. This onion is about 1/8" in diameter and about 3" long and they remove about "3 gallons" of dirt for one! :evil:
hog_130213_02.jpg
All I got to say is... +guns

Oh, my dog went back to sleep and I've got to get up at 4:30 to take my dad into the hospital for some surgery he has scheduled on his rotator cuff. Going to be a long day with little sleep but it feels really good getting a beast down with the 454. When it came together, this rifle really came together. Sighted-in in five shots and a dead hog in the sixth!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: #5 Smacked with R92 454 Casull!

Post by Rooster59 »

Nice job RD. It's hard to get along without a good dog and a good Rossi!
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

Looks like a big one, any estimates on weight?
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Thanks, that was a great report with dog and gun working out flawlessly!

Sent from some beach on Kauai HI
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:Looks like a big one, any estimates on weight?
About 185# I would guess.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

It was a long and arduous road to the success story pictured on this thread. The challenges that 92/454 presented that you overcame turned you (RD) from a gun tinkerer to a full fledged Rossi 92 gun smith. :mrgreen:
I have yet to hear of any of the so-called 92 experts even mention the front end of the Rossi 92 (forearm & forward) where a myriad of problems were found (by you).
A proper tune-up/slick up should deal with the WHOLE gun.........you're well documented & illustrated experiences on this forum experiences taught us that.

I'll eventually get around to stress relieving my Rossi 92 forearms but I'll get the real walnut butt stocks & forearms from Precision & do them up real nice.
If I'm going to fit & finish I'll do it on walnut.
The guns are shooting so good I hate to mess with them & if the 92/454 stock was going to split it would have by now.

Congrats on the hog.........it's a big one.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Congrats on the hog.........it's a big one.
Funny thing about this hog is that I only saw it a few minutes in the dark, both before and after the shot, as I hit the bed to be back up early to take my dad in for his surgery. I never rolled it over or moved it. While in the hospital my wife called me to let me know that there were buzzards and coyotes in the yard so I told here to turn our dog out and I would handle it. I called my friend and "right hand" man, Joe, and asked if he would go remove the hog (my dog ended up being very disappointed).

With your post I just told Joe I thought the hog weighed 185 and he looked at me a little funny. He said "I wish, I'm the one that had to drag it off and I think it weighed something over 250." We muzzle the hog with a strap to tow them off with the Mule and he said that he had to use four wheel drive to keep it going so I guess I was wrong about the weight.

On Friday, I finally got all the holes filled in my yard with my front end loader and a blade on the tractor. The damage from a couple of days his handy work was extensive. It took about 2 1/2 hours of tractor time to patch everything.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Give RD Sr. my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
We all have our health problems from time to time.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA