A new rifle followed me home (updated with range report)

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

A new rifle followed me home (updated with range report)

Post by Model 52 »

I mentioned in another thread that there's a gun shop about thats about an hour away that's heavy on lever actions and it occurred to be I had not visited them in awhile. And it reminded me I was looking for a color case hardened rifle in .45 Colt. So I drove over there.

To put things in perspective they usually have a couple racks of lever guns with about 10 guns per side, and normally two racks per caliber with .30-30, .38-40, .357, .44-40, .44 Mag, .45 Colt and .45-70 well represented by Uberti, Winchester, Henry, Marlin and Rossi. There is also a couple racks of .22s and usually a few .22 Magnums, and that's not counting the several racks of collectible lever guns. It's lever gun heaven.

I noted that a few Winchester 1892 carbines in .45 Colt as well as a rifle, but they were all in the $1,200 plus range and none were color case hardened, other than a Model 94 Trapper, and I already have one of those from the first year they produced them. I also noted some gorgeous Uberti 1873s in .45 Colt as well as a couple 1866s, but they were again in the $1,000-1,300 range and I prefer the much stronger Model 92 action.

However I also saw two 1892 rifles in .45 Colt with case hardened receivers. The first was a Rossi with a 20" octagon barrel, and a case hardened receiver (52203) with wood that actually looked pretty decent. It was also smooth by "out of the box" Rossi standards and function tested well with the half dozen snap caps I brought for the occasion. The salesman noted what I was doing in terms of a very thorough inspection and then commented that they sent more Rossi arms back than any other make and there quality control just wasn't. Still, I don't mind a project gun and if it has no fatal flaws I'll take one home and I told him as much. I noted however that it was very muzzle heavy and I noted Rossi's octagon barrel is pretty thick for a .45 Colt. I'm big on balance and handling and it lost serious points there. The second rifle was a Chiappa 1892 Takedown for only $50 more than the Rossi. It had "NRA" in gold on the receiver, which was not a plus for me as I'm not real big on commemoratives of any type, but it was not too over the top. And after cycling the action, I knew it had just been sold as it was butter smooth and on close inspection the workmanship was superb inside and out.

It was also a 24" rifle and I was looking for a 20", however the balance and proportions were so much better than the 20" Rossi rifle. It had also obviously been in the shop awhile as it was a new in the box Armi Sport Chiappa imported by KBI with their Charles Daly brand on it and KBI and Charles Daley have been gone for just over 3 years now.

In any case, as soon as it got home, one of my .30-30s was left wondering where it's tang site went and my Springfield M6 survival rifle got booted from it's usual case, but the 1892 is now ready to go shoot tomorrow.

Sorry for the poor quality of the first picture - it was getting toward twilight. I'll post a better one tomorrow...

Last edited by Model 52 on 12 Feb 2013 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

Re: A new rifle followed me home today

Post by 0369 »

I like the take-down feature and it looks good to boot!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I have a Chiappa 92 in 44 Mag.
It was a treat visually, functionally and ballistically right out of the box.
Beautiful furniture, butter smooth action and accurate without palming a single tool.
I stripped it apart and not a single burr or speck of dirt.
Whoever hand made this rifle obviously gave a damn about the quality of gun going into the box.
Quite a pleasant change from rehabilitating Rossi rejects to own and shoot a gun like the rich folks do.
Only problem of course.......the price......with tax over $1200. :shock:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

That was exactly what went through my head - no need to order new springs, followers, plug screws, clean cosmoline out of it or refinish the stock, polish the action, etc. etc.

$1200? I feel pretty good about $750 out the door then.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Model 52 wrote:That was exactly what went through my head - no need to order new springs, followers, plug screws, clean cosmoline out of it or refinish the stock, polish the action, etc. etc.

$1200? I feel pretty good about $750 out the door then.
My Chiappa 92 is a fancier Takedown model & brand spanking new.
You lucked out at $750 believe me.
I'm not big on commemorative models either......I like the NRA but not splashed all over my rifles receiver in big bold print. :mrgreen:
Mine has no markings, was case hardened with an octagonal barrel, no lawyer safety junk & could have been John Wayne's gun.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, that is a great deal!
Michael
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

Great, now I want a takedown model. That woulda been perfect for me last year when I traveled down to Florida for my first pig hunt.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: A new rifle followed me home (updated with range report)

Post by Model 52 »

I put 60 or so rounds through it this morning and about the same through my 20" Rossi.

The trigger pull on the Armi Sport / Chiappa is fantastic, although I may need to increase the spring pressure a bit as I had two light strikes out of the 60 or so rounds with W-W primers.

Accuracy wise, it doesn't shoot bad, but it's not what I'd consider great and it won't shoot with my 20" Rossi. My Rossi will more often than not hold the outer edges of the 9 ring on an A-23 at 50 yards with the occasional 8, although the large bullet diameter clearly helps. :D

Now it's not an entirely fair comparison as both loads that I shot in it were developed for the Rossi, so it's at a clear disadvantage. I'll have to play with it some and see if I can find a load it likes. I suspect it's going to have some sweet spots in terms of resonance, but over all will be a lot pickier than my Rossi.

The first group looked superb for the first 3 shots, then they started to string a bit in elevation. :( At least it was on target at 50 yards. (I co-witnessed the sight picture in the tang sight before removing the rear sight, so being on the paper was a pleasant surprise, but not a large one.

It has some clear preferences for how it's held as if it rested too far forward on the fore arm, it will string vertically.

If rested just in front of the receiver, it tends to string horizontally.

I noted the forearm was slightly loose after putting a couple dozen rounds down range, so I'll look into that this weekend and see if we can snug things up a bit.

I am also wondering if there is some change in relationship between barrel and receiver as things heat up that could be causing some of the horizontal stringing, and aggravated by the tang sight, as the groups seemed to keep wanting to print to the right and while there was a full value crosswind it was not all that strong, maybe 3-4 mph.

I did note that the large flat on the top of the barrel starts to create some significant mirage after 3 shots or so, and that is probably not helping the accuracy. I'll bring an extra louver from a venetian blind next trip to stick on top of the barrel.

In any case, the hopes of a not have to mess with it purchase are pretty much lost as I'll need to do something about getting it to shoot a little more consistently.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Model 52 wrote:I am also wondering if there is some change in relationship between barrel and receiver as things heat up that could be causing some of the horizontal stringing...
Fore end cap screw making contact with the underside of the barrel?
Model 52 wrote:In any case, the hopes of a not have to mess with it purchase are pretty much lost as I'll need to do something about getting it to shoot a little more consistently.
Ahhh... but that is were the fun is! Interesting that the Rossi went toe to toe with it though.
Michael
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

Yes, I've been impressed with the Rossi's accuracy.

I have not had the forearm off yet.