Pigtail Safety?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Pigtail Safety?

Post by Rooster59 »

Thanks for the tip. I thought I had read that somewhere but couldn't find the reference since the first time. That would work with the plug but is there a way to resolve the wobbling issue with the actual safety and still make it usable?
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:Thanks for the tip. I thought I had read that somewhere but couldn't find the reference since the first time. That would work with the plug but is there a way to resolve the wobbling issue with the actual safety and still make it usable?
Going to need to think about that. The barrel on the plug of your rifle needs to be a slightly large diameter on. My initial thoughts go to my friend JB Weld to increase the diameter. It would take a bit of sanding to reestablish the needed diameter and redrill the hole in the plug but it could be done.

I've started to use a chainsaw sprocket lube pump to pack the cavity with grease. I hit the the two dimples that catch the BB on each side of the plug. It makes it slicker than snot. I wonder if just filling it with grease would tighten it up?
safety_lubing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I'll have to try putting it back in and see where a remedy might be applied. It seems to me like the detent was pretty weak on mine too but that might be solved by stretching the spring a bit. The sloppy bore to safety plug fit will probably take some shimming of some sort, either Stag beer cans or JB.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Pigtail Safety?.....would you bet your life on it?

Post by pricedo »

Rooster59 wrote:I removed the safety on my 92 Puma but not because I don't like them. It fit so loose in the bolt it would barely stay put sitting still much less when being carried where something could brush against it leaving me with a false sense of security. If I knew how to remedy that issue it would be put back. The plug I bought from Steve is just as loose as the safety.
An even worse scenario would be discovering that the loose pigtail had engaged itself or a failed fix had jammed the firing pin just at the point you could count the individual capillaries in mamma Grizzlies eyes with the next sound being the sickening dull click of the hammer bottoming out instead of the lifesaving bang.
Before you could even think of disengaging the safety & re cocking the hammer those bone crushing jaws would have removed everything above your Adam's Apple.
If I had a R92 with a really loose pigtail safety I would have my gun smith/welder friend remove it. I saw a rifle he did last year & you'd never know it ever had a safety.

Where I sometimes carry a defensive rifle I wouldn't want my life depending on a Krazy Glue or pop can "fix" holding on a junk safety especially on a hard kicking 454 Casull model rifle.
If I was RD I'd need to figure how much damage a wounded 300 pound hog or Nilgai could do if the crappy safety failed and locked up the firing pin of the rifle just at the wrong time.
If a piece of hardened glue, JB Weld or pop can blocks the firing pin you might as well be holding a plastic fly swatter in you hand.

I wasn't aware that the pigtail safety was so junky but if Rossi is anything it is consistent when it comes to due diligence or more precisely the lack thereof.
Instead of jury rigging an "Iffy" safety with an equally "iffy" fix I'd remove it entirely.
That safety is "an accident waiting to happen" at the wrong time.
Never tempt fate by betting your life on tied/glued together junk not failing when dealing with critters with nasty dispositions & big sharp teeth & claws to back them up.

I have to thank old Amadeo for not putting a junk safety on any of my 3 M92s.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with all six of the safeties on my rifles. One member has an issue with a loose safety and brought it up for discussion. There is no reason to start flailing away at Rossi!
Michael
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I agree there's no call to start bashing Rossi.

On the other hand, while I would not call my safety out and out "loose", it was easy enough to move that it could be readily moved by contact with brush, the sleeve of a coat, etc. That was one of the primary reasons I removed mine. If I have a safety, I want it to stay where I put it, until I intentionally put it somewhere else.

The good news is that it's easy to remove and replace with a plug if you don't like it, and it's relatively low profile if you want to keep it. So to each his own, and it's a potential win from what ever perspective you choose to take. I wish more companies would design those choices into their products.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I prefer safeties if they are available. All but two of my lever guns have safeties. Only a '62 Marlin 336 and a Browning BL-22 didn't come with one. The Marlin CBS and the tang safety on my SxS are very easy to use and can quickly be checked visually. The Rossi safety is a little less ergonomic to operate "from the driver's seat" versus the other styles. It took me a lot more concentration to learn to quickly identify if it was on or not. Twisting clockwise or counter clockwise with my right hand off the rifle seems a bit awkward.

Regardless, I wish I could figure a way to make it operate better so I could reinstall it and use it confidently. Maybe the upcoming snow storm tomorrow will give me justification to fiddle with it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't know how loose is loose but I wonder if you could find an thin coil spring that the plug could slip through and then fit into hole... There is always a fix, Rossi owners seem good at finding something that will work.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

When you remove it, be very careful not to loose the BB. If you can, pack the gap with grease as that will keep the BB from rolling out and off. I also put a small magnet right where the BB is resting as that will pick it up as well. When it is out and if you have a caliper, mic the diameter. In the meantime, I will look at the one I have in my parts bin (I think I have one???)
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If I ever buy another 92 clone (not likely.....I think 5 is sufficient) I'll assess the safety on that particular gun and decide whether to keep it or not.
My 3 x Amadeo Rossi M92s (no safeties) & 2 Chiappa Puma 92s (no safeties) cover the whole spectrum of 92 shooting from 357 Mag to 44 Mag to 454 Casull (which will also shoots 45LC).
I don't see myself needing another 92 so the Braztech R92 safety is likely to remain in a practical sense a non-issue to me.
It'll make interesting reading to see how they work out for you guys. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA