After Slicking Problems.... ¡Solved!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Sosoomi

After Slicking Problems.... ¡Solved!

Post by Sosoomi »

Disassembly was a breeze.... I deburred where necessary and polished contact/friction points.... I put in the Gunslinger spring kit but at the last moment went with the stock extractor spring....the new extractor spring was finer but much longer....I had enough problem keeping it in place during reassembly... I won't go into that but I am certain most remember their first time.... Haha.... :oops:

So here are my issues....

Nice smooth cycling BUT.....

Loading gate exits the receiver...looks like the carrier is pushing it out (?)

When this happens two rounds exit the magazine and I get a jam....

Ejection is all over the place, strong, just right and weak...not clearing the receiver...

I would love some input!!!
Last edited by Sosoomi on 09 Feb 2013 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: After Slicking Problems....

Post by pricedo »

Don't get too aggressive with the files & stones.
If you take off too much metal it won't grow back.
Remove the burr & smooth .......that's it.
Before filing away on a ridge make sure it's really a high spot and that it's not supposed to be there.
Remote the LEAST amount of metal you absolutely need to......just the amount necessary to solve the problem.
Be extremely careful when deburring & smoothing stress or pressure bearing components.
Just remove the burr.......nothing else !
Too sloppy is as bad or worse than too tight.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Sosoomi

Post by Sosoomi »

That's all I did.... Very light touch..

There are nuances to this. For instance, once I had the bolt stop pin back in...the action was frozen closed... Disassembled...reassembled....still frozen... Solution? Tap the pin in a little farther.... Screw the cover screw in too far and ...frozen again... That was the easy one....

The gate extending out of the receiver is a problem.... Didn't touch that but to remove a burr on the opening... Maybe two strokes....

Is it possible to reinstall the carrier so it is offset?

Before I took it down this all functioned well except it was rough... I am certain it is in the reassembly!
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

My suspicion is that the re-assembly has a couple of flaws.

I'm guessing the loading gate is not properly seated in the recess in the right side of the receiver. If it's too far aft there's nothing to stop it from pushing out of the receiver.

Getting two rounds out of the mag tube would be due to the little arm on the front of the left hand cartridge guide not stopping the second round. It is dependent on the spring that supports it being installed correctly, so you may want to check to ensure it is seated under the end of the arm properly and is curved the right way.

The carrier is a very snug fit where it aligns with the holes for the carrier screws on each side, and as long as the detents are properly engaged, the screws are in the holes correctly, and the carrier is right side up, you can't really screw it up.

The variability in ejection suggests the assembly is not properly installed and is hanging up some where. More on this below.

-----

The trick to getting the ejector, spring and collar assembled along with getting the lever, bolt and lever pin all happily cohabiting in the receiver is to install the ejector, spring and collar in the bolt then use the lever to help align them. Insert the ejector, spring and collar in the bolt, then insert the lever in the bolt to help align them. FInally, insert the lever pin and check the ejector to make sure it all operates smoothly as the lever is rotated though the full range of motion.

To install the bolt, you then hold the ejector assembly in place with a dummy cartridge hooked under the ejector and held against the bolt face. Once you have the dummy round in place, remove the lever pin and the lever and while still pressing down on the dummy cartridge to keep it against the bolt face, install the bolt in the receiver until the round is about half way in the chamber. Once you have it there the chamber will hold the dummy round in place so you can then have both hands free to insert the lever up through the receiver and move the lever and close the bolt as needed to get the pin to fit. With a little rocking on the lever it will be a press fit and a 1 minute or less job rather than 30 minutes of swearing.

Along with this there is no need to remove the screw from the left hand locking lug at all, as you can assemble the left lug and pin in the lever along with the right lug outside the receiver and then insert the whole thing up into the receiver as a single unit. This also helps with getting the lever pin properly aligned as it reduces the extraneous movement the lever can make.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Model 52 wrote:I'm guessing the loading gate is not properly seated in the recess in the right side of the receiver. If it's too far aft there's nothing to stop it from pushing out of the receiver.
I agree with Model 52. The gate (actually called a "Cover") is put in place, the cover screw started (55), and then with a finger it is held with a slight pressure against it as it is offset into the receiver while the screw is tightened.
Getting two rounds out of the mag tube would be due to the little arm on the front of the left hand cartridge guide not stopping the second round. It is dependent on the spring that supports it being installed correctly, so you may want to check to ensure it is seated under the end of the arm properly and is curved the right way.
Also with Model 52 on this. In that you have had the rifle apart, it is very common not to have installed the Cartridge Guide Left (44)/Cartridge Stop (45) and Cartridge Stop Spring (47) correctly. It should look like this...
4445_01.jpg
I have found it easiest to compress the spring and hold it with a large tweezer set or similar tool, have an appropriate punch the screw hole and thread it through the spring and guide. Spring tension will hold it in place and then the assembly can be moved it place with light finger pressure and held while the punch is removed and the screw installed.
4445_02.jpg
Check the spring action of the Cartridge Stop (45) before you proceed any further!
45_01.jpg
The carrier is a very snug fit where it aligns with the holes for the carrier screws on each side, and as long as the detents are properly engaged, the screws are in the holes correctly, and the carrier is right side up, you can't really screw it up.
It is very common to install the carrier upside down, I have done it myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I do not use the cartridge in the bolt face trick to seat the lever into the bolt. I've found it takes too much pressure to close the bolt in order to seat the pin. With the receiver horizontal, I simple keep my finger on the Ejector (32) with one hand, while the bolt is about half it's travel. Then with the other hand I move the lever up into position but never place any forward pressure on the lever. I use a finger on the "lever supporting hand" hand to slowly slide the bolt forward, again, never placing forward pressure on the lever. As the bolt is closing the I remove my finger off the Ejector and use that finger to help slide the bolt forward. As the bolt is resting against the slight compressed Ejector, I rotate the receiver vertical with the muzzle against a pad on the bench, and hold downward (forward) pressure now against the lever while slide the Lever & Breech bolt Pin (64) into place. Takes me about 45 seconds to install a lever this way and I never fight anything. I have a fellow coming by to help me with some tractor work and I will get him to take some pictures of this. I'm always by myself so, with both hands occupied, it is tough to take any pictures.

I have bought a couple of the SG Ejector Springs and have not used them. They are longer than the Braztech spring in use and look lighter than this current spring. Even though they are lighter, it feels than they have more tension when compressed (probably due to the length) and make the above mentioned work tougher. With a complete take down and polishing parts, I have yet not had a Braztech R92 that could not make a neat pile of ejected brass stand at my feet with the current Ejector Spring.
Michael
Sosoomi

Post by Sosoomi »

Success!

Thanks guys for the advice....

Here's what was the problem.....

I broke the gun down again and removed the loading gate and spring..... It looked to me the spring was mis-shaped and that was why the gate was pushing out of the receiver. I straightened the spring, reassembled and voilà....disappointment....

The rounds from the magazine would get hung up about 10° off the line of the chamber and could not be chambered.

In the end I discovered that the spring had to be bent enough so that the rounds arriving from the magazine would clear the back of the gate, allowing them to be chambered cleanly. That puts the edge of the gate about 1/2 way through the thickness of the receiver.

What did I learn?

Other than the above, I used the empty casing method to retain the extractor...may not be everyone's choice but worked well for me. Practice makes perfect....

I can strip and reassemble that damn gun in under five minutes...haha

How the spring got bent in the first place? Probably operator error whilst reassembling at the bottom of the learning curve...strangely I never did remove that part during the slicking process.

Now... My RG 3030 SS is next!

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Sosoomi wrote:Disassembly was a breeze...
Usually is. :mrgreen:

Then comes the FUN part........reassembly. :shock:

Look MA :!: .........I got 5 left over parts :!: :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA