Dry fire

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
DEDmeat

Dry fire

Post by DEDmeat »

So the manual says that dry firing is bad for the M92. Anyone had one for years that can attest to this?
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Dry fire

Post by Model 52 »

I suppose the concern would be the firing pin impacting the pin that retains it in the absence of a primer impact to stop the forward motion.

I have no idea how that plays out in the real world over a period of years of snapping in with one.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Usually if the manual says that something is bad, I tend to believe it.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
MT Gianni

Post by MT Gianni »

Snap caps can be bought or made with an eraser in place of a primer if needed. My shooting mentor told me of a man that shot competetively @ Camp Perry for years. On one occasion he had to rebuild the trigger/firing pin group as he had fired it over 20,000 times adn never put one down the bbl. That would do a lot for trigger control and sight picture but most of us do not need to do that. Rest assured that dry firing will damage your rifle and is better not done.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I dry fire fire a levergun about 20- 50 times with a snap-cap in the chamber to break in the sear when I get a new gun & to reset my "muscle memory" of the "trigger break" on THAT PARTICULAR gun before a hunting trip.
The difference in trigger pull/creep when going from one gun to another can throw that critical first shot off & I reset my muscle memory to the trigger characteristics of the specific gun I'll be hunting with home in front of the TV well before the moment of truth by dry firing it 20 - 50 times with a snap cap in place..........this is also a good work out session to practice your breathing & trigger control in general.
Better to work out bugs in your technique in front of the TV rather than when your X-hairs are on the shoulders of a B&C level game animal. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yes do not it will cause needless wear on the bolt enternals from the firing pin imppact no need to easy to buy caps or make a dummy round into a snap capp I have used a piece of rubber hose heater or fuel cut large enough after drilling through the primer pocket to force the rubber deep into the case and keep it in place works well and cheap.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I've got about 60 guns in my safes inclusive of handguns so $3.00 for a real ;) snap-cap isn't going to "Chapter 11" me. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
DEDmeat

Post by DEDmeat »

The manual also says not to disassemble the gun but there's a sticky on the subject. Hence why I asked. That being said, thank you to everyone for your answers.