New from San Diego

Tell us a bit about yourself!
855r

Re: New from San Diego

Post by 855r »

I'm going to try to get to the range tonight. Fridays are pretty busy there but with ammo prices as they are I'm hoping there will be room for me. Can't wait to shoot the rossi! What do you guys think about barrel break in. Have any of you ever done the fire one round, clean barrel, shoot two rounds clean barrel, shoot three rounds clean barrel ect, ect, any real advantage to that?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

855r wrote:I'm going to try to get to the range tonight. Fridays are pretty busy there but with ammo prices as they are I'm hoping there will be room for me. Can't wait to shoot the rossi! What do you guys think about barrel break in. Have any of you ever done the fire one round, clean barrel, shoot two rounds clean barrel, shoot three rounds clean barrel ect, ect, any real advantage to that?
I'm a cast bullet shooter so don't worry about it.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
855r wrote:I'm going to try to get to the range tonight. Fridays are pretty busy there but with ammo prices as they are I'm hoping there will be room for me. Can't wait to shoot the rossi! What do you guys think about barrel break in. Have any of you ever done the fire one round, clean barrel, shoot two rounds clean barrel, shoot three rounds clean barrel ect, ect, any real advantage to that?
I'm a cast bullet shooter so don't worry about it.
When I was a kid that would be a months worth of allowance money (that I split a cord of wood a week to earn) in ammo just to break in the barrel.
Good luck on shooting your Rossi........my fingers are crossed that you won't experience any "pit stops" before that rifle is running smoothly.
For some of us "barrel break in" turned out to be the least of our problems. :shock:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
855r

Post by 855r »

Well got back from the range awhile ago. All in all not to bad I think for a shake down. The only weird problem was when cycling 38spl sometimes the fresh round would pop out with the fired case. I found that if I went slow with the lever it would not happen. The .357 went through the rifle no problems. The other weird thing and it was ammo related was I had some old aluminum cased .357mags could be blazer I really don't know. Anyway I fired one off no problem. Recharged and fired and it was the closest I've ever been to a fire from a bullet in my face my Dad was all alarmed and concerned. Upon inspection the case had split and a hold burned through near the rim. I thought that was a fluke so I chambered another. Same darn thing happened so I threw the rest away at the range. When I bought my gun my father was with me and bought a 20" in 44mag. He went with me and that rifle runs pretty good but kicks like a mule. After ten rounds I was done with it, and so was he. Here's some pics from the indoor range. I will try some of the suggestions spoken about in the reply above to improve the gun and might even cut the ammo tube spring tonight feeding this rossi was taking a toll on the ol thumb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

855r wrote:Well got back from the range awhile ago. All in all not to bad I think for a shake down. The only weird problem was when cycling 38spl sometimes the fresh round would pop out with the fired case. I found that if I went slow with the lever it would not happen. The .357 went through the rifle no problems. The other weird thing and it was ammo related was I had some old aluminum cased .357mags could be blazer I really don't know. Anyway I fired one off no problem. Recharged and fired and it was the closest I've ever been to a fire from a bullet in my face my Dad was all alarmed and concerned. Upon inspection the case had split and a hold burned through near the rim. I thought that was a fluke so I chambered another. Same darn thing happened so I threw the rest away at the range. When I bought my gun my father was with me and bought a 20" in 44mag. He went with me and that rifle runs pretty good but kicks like a mule. After ten rounds I was done with it, and so was he. Here's some pics from the indoor range. I will try some of the suggestions spoken about in the reply above to improve the gun and might even cut the ammo tube spring tonight feeding this rossi was taking a toll on the ol thumb.
My .45 Colt Rossi has a fairly generous chamber and that may or may not be the case in your .357. It sounds like the aluminum cases rounds were not handling the expansion required to seal the breech, so that could be a factor. It could also be that they just did not age well.

I've found with my .45 Colt and hot loads that it's a lot more comfortable to move the butt out a bit farther so it's actually on the upper arm just outside of the pocket in the shoulder. The curved butt plate fits your contour much better there, and it also provides a bit more give under recoil. In that position a 100 or so rounds per session is non-painful.