New from San Diego

Tell us a bit about yourself!
855r

New from San Diego

Post by 855r »

I'm new to rossi's and lever guns. I just finished my ten day wait and have a nice new M92 in .357mag. I got this carbine to mix things up for me I've checked out the fourm and you guys are a wealth of information. I plan to do some of the tricks shown and talked about but truth be told the gun feels really smooth now. Perhaps I just don't know how smooth it can be. Here's a picture of it with one of it's gun safe friends. They get along really well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New from San Diego

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome glad to have you nice ar and nice rossi.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
855r

Post by 855r »

Thank you, that was my light weight build I thought I did pretty good, see the pic. I think the rossi has it beat already it feels so "handy" as they say. I also miss spoke it's actually a R92 16" barrel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I liked carrying the M16A1s I was issued as they also balanced well, and when I built a lightweight AR-15 I used a slick side upper, a pencil weight barrel and M16'esque furniture to pay homage to the A1 while minimizing weight and overall length. It weighs in at 5.7 pounds, which is about as light as you can get without going to a polymer upper or lower and still have sights and a sling. It's become the go to survival rifle living in a soft case that easily fits in a baggage and also looks unobtrusive in the back of an SUV.

My 20" Rossi 92 in .45 Colt however weighs in at only 5.0 pounds, balances much better and is way more fun to shoot. :D

My Rossi 92 was much smoother than my Winchester Model 94 Trapper in .45 Colt even right out of the box. However, if you replace the ejector spring with a lighter one, polish the lower carrier detents, the lever detent pin and the surfaces on the bolt where it meets the top of the locking lugs, and thin the extractor spring a bit, you'll find it cycles even smoother. You can also lighten the loading gate spring, replace the magazine follower with a metal one and shorten the mag azine spring so it does not protrude more than 3-4" and you'll find it loads a lot easier. Similarly, you can thin the trigger return spring and get the pull weight down in the 3 pound range without messing with the hammer or sear.

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Right off the hop I see 3 nasty looking lateral cracks in that 92s butt stock that need fixin. :mrgreen:
They'll follow the grain and become longer & nastier with recoil if you don't repair them.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

pricedo wrote:Right off the hop I see 3 nasty looking lateral cracks in that 92s butt stock that need fixin. :mrgreen:
They'll follow the grain and become longer & nastier with recoil if you don't repair them.
Darn. That means I'll have have to mow the grass. :( Those shadows sure do look like cracks though huh?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice I have a bushy M4 configuration ar15 nothing special but very accurate and dependable if I do my part ak's are my SHTF weapons but I have a variety of flavors so I can go to anything that will benefit the current bugout scenerio.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

In that I'm not bugging out in a SHTF situation and staying right where I'm at it is more about keeping others out that's why I have chosen protective rings of claymores. :shock:
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

keep a outer ring of wild hogs instead of dogs. pinned in
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

Model 52 wrote:
pricedo wrote:Right off the hop I see 3 nasty looking lateral cracks in that 92s butt stock that need fixin. :mrgreen:
Darn. That means I'll have have to mow the grass. :( Those shadows sure do look like cracks though huh?
Thank God you explained the "cracks" as shadows! I'm still trying to warm up to buying Rossi's that are, based on what I read here, gonna take some mechanical rework to make work well...and then I thought that I was going to have to worry about the stock turning to kindling. Whew!

Dan