454 Casull Scout

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 454 Casull Scout

Post by Arktikos »

These Rossi 92's are best described as diamonds in the rough! I have a feeling I am going to get to know the inner workings of mine quite well over time. Good that mine is cycling 45 Colts in the 1.650 range well now (and quite possibly longer) so that opens up I my using the gun right now with colt brass for 335 gr cast at +p levels, which is something my 45 colt 1894 can't feed. I think my plan now will be to proceed cautiously on getting it to feed the 454 Casull cartridges over the next year.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I "terminated" Rossi CS years ago...........I wouldn't let those numbskulls within 10 feet of any of my guns. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I am excited to find a wizard in 7.62x39 but love the rg and scout rifles.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

My Amadeo Rossi M92/454 hasn't had anywhere near the problems some of the new Braztech R92/454s apparently have that probably wouldn't have passed my pre-purchase hands-on inspection.

My basic Rossi Regimen clean-up/tune-up and recently the addition of a thick & very attractive leather stock cover to protect me from getting beat up by the butt stock has resulted in a 92/454 that is great and will digest without a hiccup just about any 45 LC or 454 C ammo I feed it.

I marvel at people who still buy these things on the internet sight unseen and spend the next 3 months rebuilding a gun that should have been thrown in the REJECT BIN at the end of the factory assembly line and if the truth were known probably had been returned by plural previous customers as defective. But then again there are people who still smoke cigarettes........no accounting for the vagaries of human nature.

One thing for sure most of you would make me look like a hung-over, ten-thumbed cretin in a stripping/reassembling a 92 contest cause you've done it so many times.......I like to leave the guns that need a lot of work (REBUILDING would be an appropriate word in many cases described on this board) on the rack so I probably won't (and have no intentions of) getting anywhere near as proficient.........I much prefer tree stand/shooting bench time to work bench time & having a working gun in my hand rather than a tool.

I apologize for being a bit presumptuous and perhaps have an advantage over some members in that I have upwards of 3 dozen hunting rifles in my safes and don't really NEED to buy a gun that I haven't checked personally and that I'm not reasonably sure is sound.

I know how to deal with fix-it problems but I don't invite them by tempting fate.

I think the totality of the body of evidence contained in this forums database about the experiences & observations of members including the sites proprietor would indicate that we really need to be more diligent in regards to pre-checking our Rossi rifles BEFORE we buy them.

Rossi QC & CS quite frankly both STINK. :mrgreen:

But go ahead and knock yourselves out guys.....Image......as long as your having fun........that's the main thing........great entertainment reading the play by play by the way..........thanks. :mrgreen:

**Rossi rule of thumb: "An ounce of inspection is worth pound of cure"
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
I marvel at people who still buy these things on the internet sight unseen and spend the next 3 months rebuilding a gun that should have been thrown in the REJECT BIN at the end of the factory assembly line and if the truth were known probably had been returned by plural previous customers as defective. But then again there are people who still smoke cigarettes........no accounting for the vagaries of human nature.

I think the totality of the body of evidence contained in this forums database about the experiences & observations of members including the sites proprietor would indicate that we really need to be more diligent in regards to pre-checking our Rossi rifles BEFORE we buy them.

Rossi QC & CS quite frankly both STINK. :mrgreen:

**Rossi rule of thumb: "An ounce of inspection is worth pound of cure"
Well I feel really dumb now after reading this because I didn't buy mine sight unseen but from a local vendor where I had the opportunity to give it a once over but didn't bring anything to cycle through it.. Still all and all as luck would have it I have a great cycling 45 colt out of the deal but with a stronger tighter chamber that doesn't bulge the brass like my Marlin does. The truth is that I don't really know for certain that my gun won't cycle 454 Casull length cartridges, just a suspension is all based on RD's photo. When I get home I'll try them out.

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Someone stuck a course Dremil grinding cone in that chamber and ground away until the cartridge fit. Whoever did this should have been immediately terminated!
Absolutely disgraceful.........somebody will lose half their face and their eyesight some day because of the obvious lack of diligence and ethics and just plain "not giving a damn" as demonstrated by this example.
This crosses the line from SHODDY to DANGEROUS ! :evil:
One of Rossi CSs finest moments...........but definitely not a singular occurrence........and the perpetual optimists still wonder why I don't bother with them.
I don't bother with them (Rossi CS) cause THEY SUCK ! :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:I am excited to find a wizard in 7.62x39 but love the rg and scout rifles.
I'm not much on bottle necked, rimless cartridges but the 7.62 X 39 Wizard barrel does attract me. With both my 308 and 338 Marlin Express rifles gone, I'm down to the 35 Rem in this type of cartridge.
Arktikos wrote:Well I feel really dumb now after reading this because I didn't buy mine sight unseen but from a local vendor where I had the opportunity to give it a once over but didn't bring anything to cycle through it.
Well don't feel dumb about a local purchase, nothing to feel wrong about that as you have somebody to work with. I bought mine from a Davidson's dealer through Gunbroker sent to my FFL that does not have issue about returning things. I did take three cartridges with me for the once over all with my TLC454-290-RF bullet seated in them sized at .452". The 45 Colt slipped through at 1.59" without issue. The Casull cartridges where seated at 1.65" and 1.75". The 1.65" was fine but not the 1.75". At purchase I wrote the failure of the longer length fit off based on the Round Flat Nose with a Wide Meplat of my bullet, not that uncommon. Once into the rifle, through a camber cast, I found that the rifle would support the bullet's nose profile at a 1.800" overall length placing it .005" off the lands so in that I was going to dress the Cartridge Guides, that is what I would take it to.

In the process of starting this work and removing the butt stock I found the crack. No one is going to let you remove a stock before purchase.

I received the new parts yesterday, the Guide Stops Left and Right, and YES they are common to all the cartridges. They have a basic cut in them but it is obvious that they are dressed by hand during assembly by the operator. No doubt that is a time and experience factor in this work and is why one rifle will work and another will not. Until these become specifically machined parts, it is the luck of the draw. Do not base the performance of your rifle on what I have seen on my rifle. Every rifle is comparing an apple to a orange when it comes to cartridge feed.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:One of Rossi CSs finest moments...........but definitely not a singular occurrence........and the perpetual optimists still wonder why I don't bother with them.

I don't bother with them (Rossi CS) cause THEY SUCK ! :mrgreen:
Exactly.

It makes it hard to defend Rossi but I don't bother doing that. I defend the Rossi Rifleman, the fellow that can take a simple machine and make it work, and that is what this forum is dedicated to promoting... the individual who decides to own and shoot the firearms. All this stuff is simple as long as it is not issues with fixed internal components such as I experience with the Circuit Judge series. Those issues involved "guts' that cannot be changed so no since in messing with it. The R92 stuff is simply scratching an itch. It bothers you at first so you address it. If a new one surfaces, you address it without really thinking about it.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote: Well I feel really dumb now after reading this because I didn't buy mine sight unseen but from a local vendor where I had the opportunity to give it a once over but didn't bring anything to cycle through it.
Arktikos, don't feel dumb about not checking your Rossi rifle out.
Life is a live & learn experience.
Now if you keep making the same mistake over & over again you have my permission to kick yourself in the fanny. :mrgreen:
I take my little Rossi kit with me each & every time I go Rossi shopping......small but very powerful Maglite flashlight, assorted dummy rounds, take apart cleaning rod & cleaning brushes/patches.
Before approaching the gun rack I ask the clerk/salesperson if I can check out a gun or 2 or 3 & explain what I am going to do and that the "rounds" I have are dummies. If he/she says no I figure there is something they don't want me to see/find (perhaps the gun's been returned before & they're trying to dump it) & the deals off.
With 3 dozen rifles in my safes there is no gun that I NEED to buy right away & regardless I don't need defective (perhaps unsafe) junk.
Rossi shopping is like mushroom picking........they all look the same at first glance but some you can take home & others you leave right where they are & only a thorough inspection will tell you which is which.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
Arktikos wrote: Well I feel really dumb now after reading this because I didn't buy mine sight unseen but from a local vendor where I had the opportunity to give it a once over but didn't bring anything to cycle through it.
Arktikos, don't feel dumb about not checking your Rossi rifle out.
Life is a live & learn experience.
Now if you keep making the same mistake over & over again you have my permission to kick yourself in the fanny. :mrgreen:
I take my little Rossi kit with me each & every time I go Rossi shopping......small but very powerful Maglite flashlight, assorted dummy rounds, take apart cleaning rod & cleaning brushes/patches.
Before approaching the gun rack I ask the clerk/salesperson if I can check out a gun or 2 or 3 & explain what I am going to do and that the "rounds" I have are dummies. If he/she says no I figure there is something they don't want me to see/find (perhaps the gun's been returned before & they're trying to dump it) & the deals off.
With 3 dozen rifles in my safes there is no gun that I NEED to buy right away & regardless I don't need defective (perhaps unsafe) junk.
Rossi shopping is like mushroom picking........they all look the same at first glance but some you can take home & others you leave right where they are & only a thorough inspection will tell you which is which.
Yeah, making the same mistakes over and over is the definition of stupidity or maybe that's supposed to be insanity. The guy I bought this gun from locally sells guns out of the garage of his home and the lighting wasn't that good so a good flashlight will be on my list of stuff to bring along next time along with a variety of dummy cartridges to cycle. My next Rossi will likely be another 92 in 357 so I will have a leg up on knowing what to look for. I was pretty charged about this 454 so probably leaped before I looked but to my credit the wood is solid, the bore looked fine (borrowed his bore light) and as Ranch Dog indicated in the post above this cartridge guide will be the luck of the draw as to who did the hand fitting. Until I get back to Alaska and try some Casull rounds i won't know for certain if they will work or not. Anyway as always good information on this site. My hats off to you guys with the experience!