454 Casull Scout

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 454 Casull Scout

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:Woah! That's got to be a hard hitting combination.. How was it on the shoulder? Great hearing about your 454 getting put through its paces!
Not bad at all, not as bad as the R92 45 Colt at 35.0 KPSI. Butt stock makes all the difference. I wouldn't want to shoot it with a scope without the synthetic cheek piece, I think it might readjust the jaw!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Arktikos wrote:Woah! That's got to be a hard hitting combination.. How was it on the shoulder? Great hearing about your 454 getting put through its paces!
Not bad at all, not as bad as the R92 45 Colt at 35.0 KPSI. Butt stock makes all the difference. I wouldn't want to shoot it with a scope without the synthetic cheek piece, I think it might readjust the jaw!
+1
The very attractive thick leather butt stock cover that fits over the recoil pad on the 92/454 & covers 2/3 of the butt stock sure attenuates the effect of recoil in the cheek weld & shoulder weld contact areas & enhances the appearance of the gun 200% .
That gun is NOW a pleasure to shoot without the "Mike Tyson sucker shot" the square wooden stock comb gave me right in the cheek when using heavy loads.
You also get 5 cartridge loops to store emergency ammo right on the gun in case you lose your rucksack in a creek or wherever.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I'm anxious to try out some Casull loads when I get back home.. I'm going to try a box of factory loads first and if they don't feed due to the oal being too long I will probably send it back to Rossi or Davidsons for adjustment as I am nervous about performing the work myself if I don't have to. . If the factory rounds do feed then Rossi will have met its obligation and then I will try some cast bullet hand loads in the 300gr+ range. If they don't feed then I'll have to deal with that myself.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: 454 Casull Scout ......FIRST THINGS FIRST

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:I'm anxious to try out some Casull loads when I get back home.. I'm going to try a box of factory loads first and if they don't feed due to the oal being too long I will probably send it back to Rossi or Davidsons for adjustment as I am nervous about performing the work myself if I don't have to. . If the factory rounds do feed then Rossi will have met its obligation and then I will try some cast bullet hand loads in the 300gr+ range. If they don't feed then I'll have to deal with that myself.

Do the basic stripping & clean-up/tune-up first before sending the gun anywhere or doing anything else..........we all know what that is by now without me having to reiterate it ad nauseum.........that will make all the difference in the world as to what ammo will cycle through the gun & what won't.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:I'm anxious to try out some Casull loads when I get back home.. I'm going to try a box of factory loads first and if they don't feed due to the oal being too long I will probably send it back to Rossi or Davidsons for adjustment as I am nervous about performing the work myself if I don't have to. . If the factory rounds do feed then Rossi will have met its obligation and then I will try some cast bullet hand loads in the 300gr+ range. If they don't feed then I'll have to deal with that myself.

I would do the work myself. From what I have seem here and sat TaurusArmed.net, Rossi's response to OAL issues is cutting excessive chamber relief some being real hack jobs.

I will be getting my text/pictures up soon..

Posted via Tapatalk!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Making the chamber too "sloppy" with a cartridge that generates 60K+ psi chamber pressure like the 454 Casull can be hazardous to your health.
I've seen with my own eyes a couple of real botch jobs returned by Rossi CS.
That was back in the old Amadeo days but I suspect that not much has changed.
I'd return the gun for a refund if it was defective before I let Rossi CS deal with it.
If I can't fix em I want my money back.
Apparently Popeye has 2 sons working at the Rossi factory in the CS department and they're even dumber and stronger than he is.
If you're really strong you don't have to be smart you can just bend & pound stuff into place. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:

I would do the work myself. From what I have seem here and sat TaurusArmed.net, Rossi's response to OAL issues is cutting excessive chamber relief some being real hack jobs.

I will be getting my text/pictures up soon..

Posted via Tapatalk!
Be making another PDF of that! Thanks for forging ahead for us of the more intimidated ranks.. :mrgreen:

pricedo wrote:Making the chamber too "sloppy" with a cartridge that generates 60K+ psi chamber pressure like the 454 Casull can be hazardous to your health.
I've seen with my own eyes a couple of real botch jobs returned by Rossi CS.
That was back in the old Amadeo days but I suspect that not much has changed.
I'd return the gun for a refund before I let Rossi CS deal with it.
To be clear You won't catch me doing any chamber work! This would strictly be on the receiver cycling mechanism but it sounds like I could do it myself as long as I force myself to not get in a hurry.

No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Nice looking bullet you have drafted up, Michael! I haven't had any issues with the butt stock and my cheek, may be since only iron sights on both so far. They are for shorter ranges and with my new glasses, I can actually see sights again!! :geek: I have been lucky in that everything I've put in both of my 454s has feed fine. +guns DP
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Nice looking bullet you have drafted up, Michael! I haven't had any issues with the butt stock and my cheek, may be since only iron sights on both so far. They are for shorter ranges and with my new glasses, I can actually see sights again!! :geek: I have been lucky in that everything I've put in both of my 454s has feed fine. +guns DP
+1
My Amadeo Rossi M92/454 has been a great gun........swallowed anything I've thrown into it. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:I'd return the gun for a refund if it was defective before I let Rossi CS deal with it.
If I can't fix em I want my money back.
I'm with you on that. I would not hesitate to send handgun back to Braztech Customer Service, they have plenty of experience with that work but I would not send them a levergun or any long gun. Plain and simple for me based on what I have observed. I by my Rossi's from a dealer that allows returns or Davidson's which he accepts as well.

I thought about returning this rifle but had already seen where another of the same lot had the same issue. I thought I could figure it out and did. It seems that the pre 2012 rifles were trouble free but have noticed that blued rifles available later in 2012 are not. May be I can start a correspondence course for the Brazil Customer Service mechanics and certify them in long gun repair!
Arktikos wrote:Be making another PDF of that! Thanks for forging ahead for us of the more intimidated ranks.. :mrgreen:

To be clear You won't catch me doing any chamber work! This would strictly be on the receiver cycling mechanism but it sounds like I could do it myself as long as I force myself to not get in a hurry.
Yes, we have got to have a forum sponsor maintenance manual that we keep adding to and can be saved or printed through a PDF. I have all the Adobe software but just need the time to get it done. I've set a personal deadline to have it done by the end of the year.

The work is in modifying the Cartridge Guide, Left (44) & Right (48), really not a lot to it. They are inexpensive parts, common to every cartridge the rifle is chambered in. I have a test mule sitting here that I will work on next week and it is from the most troublesome cartridge that I have observed through the posts here, on TaurusArmed.net, and the Levergun Community; the 357 Mag. I think I can have it shucking Large Flat Wide Nose bullets in a matter of minutes.

I think what is happening back in Brazil is that they must have a bin of these parts unmodified for specific cartridges, the installer grabs one is responsible for the individual shaping of the parts within a maximum time period and that is why cartridge feed is so inconsistent between individual rifles of the same lot. One of the two 357 Mag rifles sitting here, both within a few serial numbers of each, will swallow anything that you give it the other only 38 Spl. One the poor rifle, the chamber mouth is the same but the Guides have basically not been touched. Someone was either in a hurry or didn't have enough experience to work with the allowed timeline and the other did. Braztech's Customer Service response to a returned rifle with the feed issue is to hack away at the chamber mouth until it fits. Here is an example of their work they sent back to the customer.If you send your Rossi rifle back to Customer Service for feed issues this is what you should expect in return!
Rossi_CS_Repair.jpg
Someone stuck a course Dremil grinding cone in that chamber and ground away until the cartridge fit. Whoever did this should have been immediately terminated! Here is the KaBoom that is following each shot in this 357 Mag. A chamber taper of 3° or less would be acceptable if you wanted to address the issue at this point but this work is ridiculous!
Rossi_KaBoom.jpg
The dealer replace the rifle for the customer and the rifle was returned to Rossi.

Here is a picture of how short the cycle is for a cartridge at the Casull's Max overall length of 1.75". This cartridge has been moved forward to the point that the lever has stopped with normal force. You can see how inconsistent the Cartridge Guide Left has been shaped and that became an issue one I moved the rim cuts further aft as on being a straight line created slop that required shims to tighten the fit up. The shims have to be applied to the right side because of the spring behind the left side. The cut for the rim to was extend aft just past the point that the rim is now stopped.
gs10.jpg
These parts should be duplicated on a machine rather than hand fitted as they are now. I'm all for hand fitting but it is not being consistently applied on the assembly line.
dpe.ahoy wrote:Nice looking bullet you have drafted up, Michael! I haven't had any issues with the butt stock and my cheek, may be since only iron sights on both so far. They are for shorter ranges and with my new glasses, I can actually see sights again!! :geek: I have been lucky in that everything I've put in both of my 454s has feed fine. +guns DP
The stock is a perfect fit for open sight shooting but I suspect raising your cheek a tad for looking through the scope is going to really rattle your teeth.

I think there is an issue with the feed on 454 Casulls produced later in 2012.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael