Question about ammo.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Pustic

Re: Question about ammo.

Post by Pustic »

@pricedo, I'll look for some and try it out. :)
Am I paranoid? Nope, I'm heavily armed!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I want one in stainless so badd. Nice rifle
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Pustic wrote:10-4, :) The next time I see some somewhere, I'll pick up a box or two, try it out, and save the brass for reloading. :)
I'd check the brass for length before I went to reload it. I've heard tell that some of the leverevolution brass is shorter than standard to make up for the extra long bullet nose.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Clinebo

Post by Clinebo »

44-40 Willy wrote:
Pustic wrote:10-4, :) The next time I see some somewhere, I'll pick up a box or two, try it out, and save the brass for reloading. :)
I'd check the brass for length before I went to reload it. I've heard tell that some of the leverevolution brass is shorter than standard to make up for the extra long bullet nose.
I know for sure the 45-70 cases are shorter. Not sure about the 45 Colt though..
If you reload stuff a few with Unique for plinkers or some 2400 for more power. I load 255 gr RNFP lead pills and shoot them in my '92 and my Ruger Vaquero. The factory Remington loads I bought were pretty mild. But I got them to build up my inventory of brass. I bought some nickel plated Starline cases before the big crunch came. Glad I did. Now everything is sold out, or backordered til May/June.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Clinebo wrote:I know for sure the 45-70 cases are shorter. Not sure about the 45 Colt though.
You could call them if you need to know, they are very quick with answers. It would not surprise me if the brass was short.
They use to be my favorite line of brass but in that everything I shoot is levergun, all the brass was cut short at the get go to accommodate their bullets so I switched.
Michael
Pustic

Post by Pustic »

I just ordered 200 Starline .45 LC brass from Track of the Wolf a couple of hours ago. They have plenty, they might also have .45-70. :)
Am I paranoid? Nope, I'm heavily armed!
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I've found the odd couple of short cases in one of several 100 round bags of Winchester .45 Colt brass, and I've wondered if they have wandered in there from shorter brass produced for FTX loads.

There is no cannelure on the .452 caliber FTX, but the case would need to be short enough to stop before it reaches the shoulder on the FTX bullet, while still keeping the OAL short enough to feed in any rifle or carbine (under 1.60 OAL). It's possible shorter brass is needed to accomplish that.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

It wouldn't surprise me if the Win brass was just a flaw for those two 44-40 Willy. Win brass has had enough junk in it for me to only buy Starline brass for everything but 35Rem.

I thought all the FTX brass was Frontier or Hornady marked.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

Does Hornady actually make their own brass or does some one else make it with their head stamp?
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I don't know. I remember asking about that when the first 30-30 LE ammo came out and a couple boxes I bought were head stamped Frontier. A highly experienced reloader told me Frontier is some of the best to be had. I just don't remember whether he said the production schedule forced Hornady to buy some Frontier as a substitute or if Frontier ran out of brass stamped for Hornady. FYI, the 30-30 LE brass is std length.

My earlier reply might be a half truth. Regardless, it is unlikely Win is making brass for Hornady LE factory ammo and I know of no one with LE length empty brass in their product catalog. Even Hornady.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver