Question about modifying RD VMD Calculator

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Question about modifying RD VMD Calculator

Post by joec »

Here is my questions on this. Now I've not programmed since windows XP with Access but not with Excel since Windows 3.1. Now I sent an email to Ranch Dog's about this but thought I would ask here in case any excel programers out there. Now I love his VMD Calculator but have run into a few loads out of range of the double disk system. Now I am assuming with longer screws you could use a triple disk setup also. Besides that I have the old discontinued Lee Micro Disk which will also work as not only stand alone but as a second disk. I also have a couple of Lee Micrometer setups and would gladly give one to any one that can do this. I would simply like to add the micro disk, micro meter and a triple disk setup. Now it would also include using a micro disk, micrometer in conjunction with the double disk as well as the triple disk setups. I have the instructions on both in PDF format I would gladly send to anyone that wants to give it a try.
Joe
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Question about modifying RD VMD Calculator

Post by joec »

After further review I see the old Micro disk is the same as Lee's standard disk except not having the lowest setting which I can't image most would need. The Micrometer would be a bit confusing since a slight twist of the exact mark might make a bit of difference. So with that said I would still like to see a 3 disk stack using the standard disks. I discovered some time ago and can get closer using two disks set at smaller sizes that one disk set higher. It really gives you more control with some powders.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:After further review I see the old Micro disk is the same as Lee's standard disk except not having the lowest setting which I can't image most would need.
I actually use this more than any other disk. I load the 25 ACP, 32 ACP, and 380 Auto with this disk shooting at least 5,000 rounds of ammo across these cartridges annually. It is unfortunate that is disk is not available any longer.
The Micrometer would be a bit confusing since a slight twist of the exact mark might make a bit of difference.
My results with the Adjustable Charge Bar have been very good when it used as the only measure. It is repeatable and consistent. Once in a stack, it is the opposite as the oval shape of the adjustable opening just doesn't fill good with round shape of the standard disks.
So with that said I would still like to see a 3 disk stack using the standard disks. I discovered some time ago and can get closer using two disks set at smaller sizes that one disk set higher. It really gives you more control with some powders.
I've never worked with a three disk stack. My only concern is that in the interval that the dispenser is dumping, a full charge not be delivered. That said, I went back through the worksheet and made some adjustments to a the triple disk feature. It has not been fully tested so use is at your own risk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

That was my hesitation on a three disk setup too. Not sure the hopper orifice is sufficient to fill three cavities fully and consistently.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:
joec wrote:After further review I see the old Micro disk is the same as Lee's standard disk except not having the lowest setting which I can't image most would need.
I actually use this more than any other disk. I load the 25 ACP, 32 ACP, and 380 Auto with this disk shooting at least 5,000 rounds of ammo across these cartridges annually. It is unfortunate that is disk is not available any longer.
The Micrometer would be a bit confusing since a slight twist of the exact mark might make a bit of difference.
My results with the Adjustable Charge Bar have been very good when it used as the only measure. It is repeatable and consistent. Once in a stack, it is the opposite as the oval shape of the adjustable opening just doesn't fill good with round shape of the standard disks.
So with that said I would still like to see a 3 disk stack using the standard disks. I discovered some time ago and can get closer using two disks set at smaller sizes that one disk set higher. It really gives you more control with some powders.
I've never worked with a three disk stack. My only concern is that in the interval that the dispenser is dumping, a full charge not be delivered. That said, I went back through the worksheet and made some adjustments to a the triple disk feature. It has not been fully tested so use is at your own risk.

Thanks Ranch Dog I will gladly test it out shortly. The smallest caliber I measure is for 9mm Luger as I load nothing smaller than that.
Joe
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Oh and I found a minor type error in both your original and this one. You have IMR4198 as MIR4198 not a big deal but found it looking for the powder. I also added Black Powder to mine mostly for the scoop sizes for loads that I use wads (45-70 and Shot shells).
Joe
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Well I had to modify one set of the spacer for the double disk by removing the tabs from one side so I use two spacer. Now one that was done I loaded up some pryrodex and tested it. It was as close as the double disk but one does have to work a bit slower on that step. I just held it a second or so longer than normal. I dumped the first 5 rounds back into the hopper before I started weighing it and found it was with in +-.2 grins which is about what I get now with the double disk. Oh and I went from the smallest holed disk first, middle one followed by the largest disk for this test not really worrying much about what I was actually measuring. I ran into an out of range problem trying to load the bottom for IMR 4198 using 38 gr from Lyman's with a max limit of 40 gr.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think the limitation will be the volume of the baffle in the bottom of the hopper. If the drop is greater than the volume staged for the drop, there will be issues.

Posted via Tapatalk!
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:I think the limitation will be the volume of the baffle in the bottom of the hopper. If the drop is greater than the volume staged for the drop, there will be issues.

Posted via Tapatalk!
I will see when I actually work up a load which hopefully I do this week end. Meanwhile here are some pictures of the finished modification to the disk and how it works.

Close or not feeding powder
IMG_0557_sm.jpg
Opened or feeding powder to the case
IMG_0558_sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ok I just ran athe test using IMR 4198 which is a stick powder. I ran 10 dumped rounds before starting to measure between the two test settings. First I set the VMD program first to give me a 38.2 gr load and got 10 throws at exactly 38 grs. I then set up for 42 gr and when set got 41.8 gr for 10 throws. Not a single .1 gr divination between any of them. Oh and this was checked using an RCBS beam and also on a Hornady GS-2500 electronic. So the baffle is not going to be a problem at least based on this test unless it is larger than anything I measured.

Now as far as I can see in how it functions once it is on the disk sliding forward stops the flow so if the holes in the disks fill then move that is what handles the volume not the baffle unless I am not seeing something moving into position.
Joe