Brand new stainless .44 mag w/20" barrel

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
williamc

Re: Brand new stainless .44 mag w/20" barrel

Post by williamc »

The locking lugs on my 92 look to be carbon steel that is nickel plated on top. Same for the loading gate.

Hard chrome plating is only .0002" thick, so it doesn't affect function. The hardest part would be finding a vendor that would do such a small order.
Rossi 92 - 16" Stainless .44 Magnum
williamc

Post by williamc »

OMG! WHAT A FUN GUN TO SHOOT!!!

Finally got to the range today with my new 92. What a hoot! All shooting was done at 25-30 yards with my .44 special plinking load (240gr LSWC, 4.4gr Trail Boss, CCI primer). I still can't find components to load .44 mag.

With this light load the rifle was a pussycat. All the ammo cycled well, with just 2 or 3 the slight hangups in feeding (which resolved themselves as soon as I let up on the lever). Sights were great, with the exception that the elevation adjustment was sliding under recoil. I'm going to file a notch into the flats to keep that from happening. The rear sight was almost all the way down, which should be perfect if I want to take shots at much longer ranges.

The cycling was very smooth now that I'm using fresh rounds (not the beat-up dummy rounds I'd been practicing with). It's amazing what hundreds of break-in cycles will do to the action. I'm not sure that it even needs any work. There was very little signs of case scratching and almost no marring of the case head. I'm still going to clean things up a bit, but I feel comfortable that I'm not going to damage my precious brass.

As a bonus, I can squeeze in 12+1 rounds of my .44 special LSWC load!

All in all, I can say that I'm completely thrilled with my purchase. I brought other guns to the range today, but they stayed in the bag with no hope of seeing the light of day. I can't wait till I can go to my favorite outdoor range and do some damage on a box of clay birds (my favorite plinking target) and do some shooting at longer ranges.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great! Nothing it! Those other guns will get a little bit out of use with the new fellow making all the noise!
Michael
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

pricedo wrote:
Arktikos wrote:That is a nice looking gun!
+1

Indeed it is. :mrgreen:
I'm not impressed with the cheap Rossi nickle plating that sheds like a snakes skin.
What did Rossi expect would happen around an impact area like the face of a trigger hammer :?: ...........I guess they just didn't give a damn as usual. :x
I prefer the "blue" models cause they stay blue......we hope. :shock: +corn
I thought these guns were made from Stainless steel, not plated ...they sure look SS, but the magnet tells another story.
Can you link me to some of these sheding issues ?

In my line of work we use a lot of SS, nothing is plated...I never thought these parts would be plated..

Thanks
Last edited by golfish on 06 Feb 2013 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
williamc

Post by williamc »

Most of the gun is stainless, especially in critical areas (receiver, barrel, bolt, lower tang, lever). It's the other, smaller pieces that are plated.

Check out the first post of this thread for a picture of my hammer that is peeling.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

weconway wrote:Most of the gun is stainless, especially in critical areas (receiver, barrel, bolt, lower tang, lever). It's the other, smaller pieces that are plated.

Check out the first post of this thread for a picture of my hammer that is peeling.
Thanks weconway...most of your pix don't load for me so I can't see the peeling hammer...
If its SS, its a low quality...a magnet doesn't lie.
mlw270win

Post by mlw270win »

Very nice, Congratulation!!
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

Arktikos wrote:That is a nice looking gun!

+1 Super looking gun!!

Dan
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

Ranch Dog wrote: Your whitetails or critters must be more tolerate of noise than mine as I might as well not be hunting if I rattle the action to load a cartridge. In a calm wind, a feral hog can hear the click behind cocking the hammer, between 75 to 100 yards. I know this form personal experience. Their response to anything not natural is not like a deer but more like a turkey but quicker... FLEE!
They aren't, and your points are well taken. For me it probably comes down to the ratio of white tail hunting versus all the other stuff I do with it, and with pretty much any of my Winchesters, easing the hammer back is about as much as I can ever get away with.

I think a separate thread would be a great idea as the topic is definitely worth discussion.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Model 52 wrote:I think a separate thread would be a great idea as the topic is definitely worth discussion.
I do to and will start it later this afternoon/evening... performing a major tractor maintenance interval right now. I do not think there is one "right" answer as it must meet the situation or you just end up not using it.
Michael