This can't be normal ?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

This can't be normal ?

Post by Gunny268 »

Decided to set up and load some 357 mag 130 gr RNFP. Bullets are a non-cannelure (powder coated) type. Also set up the Lee FCD per written instructions as if starting anew with this bullet. First few out of the FCD came out like this. I don't understand what happened here. That the collet crimp was enough to deform the bullet AND leave those nubs on the case mouth. When fired, the cases were trashed. Velocities were approx. 1080 fps. Pressure signs were on the low side - primers still had their rounded profiles / carbon present on the outside of the case from case mouth to about 1/3rd back. ANY AND ALL OPINIONS ARE WELCOME.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler

Re: This can't be normal ?

Post by GasGuzzler »

Whatever caused it is the reason some people hate the pistol FCD. Mine doesn't do that.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

GG...Yes and/but...My 45 Colt FCD produces some awesomely beautious cartridges.
Anyway, I've got a Redding Profile Crimp die inbound to see if I can get this bullet to work out at top end velocities from my 92. I was gifted a box of 500, so maybe I can develop a flat shooting screaming plinker with this bullet.
AND...I'd still like to know what the heck is going on with this 357 FCD.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Looks to me like you need to back out the crimp die a bit ... and not set your bullet deeper than the top of the cannelure.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

mr surveyor...It's not a cannelure bullet. Buddy gave me about a 250-count box of "Bad Man Bullets" for 38 cal. Thought I'd try to make them work. Ya know, free bullets and an experiment in handloading. But the tooling ain't quite cooperating in producing a useable cartridge...YET. Second point. If I back out the die a bit...not enough crimp to keep the bullet from setback and leaves even larger "nubs" on the case mouth. Weird huh?
38-127-RNFP-Polymer-Black.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elkykid

Post by elkykid »

I use the 357 Lee FCD all the time. I also use Badman bullets but the cannelure version.
It looks like you are using a very heavy crimp.
Are you expanding the cases a bit prior to seating the bullet?
Are you seating with a separate die?
Is the bottom of the FCD just barely touching the shell holder when the press is in the up position?
Back out the crimp setting all the way and run a case with no bullet up. See what that looks like.
If all looks good, then a little at a time start adjusting the crimp portion of the die.
Gunny, when were you in? me 72-76 mos 2142
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

All my pistol dies are CARBIDE Lee Factory crimp dies.
That's the one with the knob on top.

Does your crimp die have a knob on top, or not?
It matters.
The Lee FCD does have the knob on top.
But I've seen some CALLED FCD but are really just a collet crimp die.

Other questions...

What powder?
If H110 I do a pretty good crimp.
(Not THAT good, but I do crimp the snot of of them)
H110 has a reputation for being slow to ignite.
Magnum primers help.

What press?
I had some fun with 30 carbine on my Dillon 550
BECAUSE the directions said to run the die down to the shell holder and then 1/2 turn more.
That 1/2 turn was to make the crimp happen, but it STOPPED the ram form coming all the way up.
If that's the case, I'll go into more detail - and the solution.
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

cavelamb...It's a FCD without the knob. My particular method is - Brass is tumble cleaned, then sized and deprimed. Only my revolver brass (or rifle) is then hand primed. I use a Dillon 550 to then bell the case mouth and drop in the powder charge. Next station on the Dillon seats the bullet. When I hit 50 rds I move over to my RCBS Rockchucker with a crimp die. Not the fastest way to do things, but I'm not in a hurry and the method satisfies my OCD.
Powder is some CFE-P. With the 130 gr bullets at hopefully 38 Super (+P ?) pressures, I'm optimistic to get up to or exceed 1400 fps out of a 6 1/2" barrel. Like I said, a fast plinker, but without the full-on muzzle blast.
Just to give you an idea, at full magnum pressures my standard load for 125 gr RNFP out of a 6 1/2" Blackhawk gets 1635 fps (ES=38/SD=16). Same load out of the 16" R92 gets 2154 fps (ES=18/SD=6). Groups from both are almost cloverleafs at 80 yds.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

What is stamped on the die?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
elkykid

Post by elkykid »

My Lee die is the one that has the knob on top. All my other dies are RCBS.
Have you checked the length of your brass? Is it possible that you have some cases that are long in length?