454 casull 92 accuracy

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
LittleBill

454 casull 92 accuracy

Post by LittleBill »

What kind of accuracy are you folks seeing? Was it what you were expecting? What ranges are you shooting at? Factory ammo or handloads? If youre sending handloads what bullet weights are you loading? How hot or mild are you loading to? Cast? Jacketed?

Ive heard/read that a somewhat common issue is the frontsight dovetail being a bit too deep and affecting the bore a little, mine has this issue and so far I havent seen better than 3" +/- @ 50yds. Oddly enough 100 seems to be no worse. Now Ive nowhere near exhausted my available load combinations but Im starting to get frustrated. I dont normally fire factory ammunition because I have so much reloading supplies I just cant justify it.
45Colt though does just fine, fine enough for me anyway but I bought this gun specifically for the horsepower, I like it. I really dont want to scope it but with my eyesight I may have to. I shoot my Henry BigBoy 44mag just fine and my 16" Rossi 357 is a literal tackdriver with anything I load in it so Im wandering about the 454Casull models or more specifically I guess the 454 cartridge. So what are other owners seeing?

After having to return my first 454 because it was garbage that even they couldnt repair I got a replacement that is , besides the barrel issue, a really nice sample. The action is just superb after a bit of tuning and tinkering and Ive totally refinished and reshaped the wood. For what these things cost I really dont want to send it back to rossi AGAIN and wait another 18 weeks for a nee barrel like I had to wait for the replacement rifle.

As you can seen its a bit different from that ugly red they come with,

Or so I think. That combined with the really nice and solid action along with the horsepower available in such a small, light and very handy package makes it a quite desirable gun to me at least, I jist dont relish the thought of being short a rifle again for 3+ months. Im hoping the barrel will settle down and really start to shoot with some accuracy or I eventually stumble upon a good accurate load for it, like I did with the Henry BB I own but I am really curious as to what other owners are seeing with theirs.