cleaning 357 chamber

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dpowers92

Re: cleaning 357 chamber

Post by dpowers92 »

Buy bronze wool pads. Fine or Medium.
Take a cleaning brush tip, wrap several pieces of the bronze twine around the brush (tightly) and scrub. A couple of passes will take care of any lead build up (if your shooting cast this work great).
oldfogey

Post by oldfogey »

So yesterday the tool arrived....only took a couple of days. As advertised it has a threaded stud(8/32) on the nose to attach to a cleaning rod and a screwdriver slot on the back end. You turn the tool to make it work and it only cuts in one direction. If you're working from the muzzle with a cleaning rod you turn it to the right and if working from the breech with a screwdriver you turn to the left. Just screwing around yesterday I opened the action and pushed it in the chamber and even at a slight angle I was able to turn it using a long slotted screwdriver. That's most likely the way I'll use it. Now I just gotta find some time to go get the rifle dirty so I can try it out
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

oldfogey...After using the Slixprings scraper I still prefer to use a chamber brush to get the last of the crud out. I haven't had to use it in a long while due to loading only 357 brass for the rifle. Here's hope it all works out as well for you.
COSteve

Post by COSteve »

Gunny, you're right, using .357mag brass makes it a lot easier as there is no crud ring to clean and you also get the added bonus of not having to sort the .38 vs .357 brass.
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

AS I said in another thread just now, for lighter loads I use a 357 case loaded with non-magnum type powder like CFE Pistol or Bullseye.
We call them 357 Specials!
Solves the crud buildup nicely.
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer
bluetick

Post by bluetick »

Here's where a bore snake can be put to effective use. Then you don't have to be shoving a cleaning rod into the barrel from the muzzle end.
"Staan vas en hou jou lyn. Dis hier waar ons hulle kan keer!"
COSteve

Post by COSteve »

bluetick wrote: 21 Feb 2024 06:58 Here's where a bore snake can be put to effective use. Then you don't have to be shoving a cleaning rod into the barrel from the muzzle end.
I use bore snakes all the time in my arms to clean out lite stuff but I've found that their wire bristles are not large enough in diameter to scrub out the chambers. I've even tried a .40 cal snake in my .357 but it wasn't as effective as the method I spoke to above.
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

Just get a brush that fits the chamber well to begin with and then wrap it with spure coppet choreBou and work it with a drill motor. Throw a little lube or clp on it if you want but it remives any lead and carbon.
Me, I shoot mostly 357's so I dont worry too much about it.
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

Just make sure it's really copper and not copper washed steel!
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer