Rossi 454 Casull Update

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dpowers92

Rossi 454 Casull Update

Post by dpowers92 »

Previously I've had problems with the Rossi 454 casull splitting cases. This was limited to the Hornady Handgun Hunter 200grain casull ammo.

Ordered some more ammo:
Magtech 454 Casull 260sjsp.
Big Grains 454 Casull 300 RNFP 1600fps. (LAX brand ammo...probably not rated for the casull pressures). Copper plated bullets.
Cheap plinking ammo/25$ per box.

LAX Big Grain
454 Casull 300g. Rossi 92 20"
Results from the 50 yard range.
Feeding, and ejecting was relatively smooth.
Accuracy exceptable at 50yards.
The rounds tend to shoot high at 50yards ; even after adjusting the 2moa red dot sight. This could be a function of of my hold or the gun.
Relatively harsh recoil but softer than Hornady 240xtp mag.

Magtech 454 casull 260 SJSF
Accuracy was very good.
Soft recoil. Actually fun to shoot.

Total for that days range trip was 30 rounds of 454 Casull.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jstanfield103

Re: Rossi 454 Casull Update

Post by jstanfield103 »

Glad it is doing well for you. I did not have any problem with the Hornady, but I will not buy it again for this rifle. I have hand loaded some hard cast coated bullets about 350 rounds for it. Never had a rifle that shoots a round fast enough to cause leading. but after 10 rounds I do see traces of lead in the rifling. It cleans out easy enough, but I will slowly get rid of these rounds and then purchase some gas checked hard cast bullets. Boy that 454 is definitely a thumper I believe even more so than my 45/70. Love the rifle.
dpowers92

Post by dpowers92 »

For my first time reloading 454 casull. I'll be using Hornady 300g XTP-Mag. Readily available components and data.
After a little bit of practice I'll probably switch to Hardcast or cheaper 452. diameter alternative.

I've done some work on relieving the forearm wood to metal contact. And lightened the trigger pull between 3.5 and 4lbs.
So hopefully I can find a round that will give me a 2-3 inches at 100yards. Satisfactory accuracy under hunting conditions.
MoMan

Post by MoMan »

jstanfield103 wrote: 24 Jan 2024 03:28 Boy that 454 is definitely a thumper
Yeah, I bet it is!! I'd love to have 1, but my 'Ol' bones couldn't handle it. My .44mag with my stout reloads are about as much as I can handle anymore!!
MO

Member: Kentucky Regulators G.C./LaSalle Sportsmen's Club/NRA
dpowers92

Post by dpowers92 »

So after 150 rounds of 454 Casull and 200 rounds of 45lc.
I discovered that my for arm screw is being bent under recoil. When installing, the screw goes in straight but comes out being slightly (noticeably) bent.
The easy fix would be to deepen the channel the screw sits in.
Anyone else have this issue and what was your fix?
Czy_Horse

Post by Czy_Horse »

I've had and still have issues with Rear Band Screws.

-With my son's Remington made Marlin 336 30-30Win. He was 'lucky' to get thru a box of shells before the Rear Band screw broke. At that time, the replacement screws where few and far between. I sold it off and bought him a Marlin 336BL 30-30Win with a Forend Cap.
-My made in 1955, Marlin 336RC 35Rem, the Rear Band screw hasn't broke yet, but it's bent enough I can't remove.

If the steel, heat treating and tempering of the steel used for the screws is not correct, they will either bend or break. IMO, the Rear Band is a design flaw that should have disappeared from lever action rifles years ago.

About all you can do is contact Rossi. See if you can talk them into a couple replacement screws from different lots.