Rossi RP63, 357 Magnum, Notes, Thoughts, Basic Tuning and Grip Options

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Sharps40

Re: Rossi RP63, 357 Magnum, Notes, Thoughts, Basic Tuning and Grip Options

Post by Sharps40 »

Work is completed. The Rossi RP63 is ready to wear a myriad of commonly available grip panels. Time to order that very nice Taurus 856 factory boot grip for $9.99 from ShopTaurus.

I suppose I'll order two Ameriglo Orange Dot/Tritium front sights at the same time and shortly have both these revolvers configured the same from grip to sight to trigger pull.
13.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Update, a deep cleaning seems to have cleared up the slight extraction stickiness with the heavy loaded 357 Magnums. I fired it straight from the box without first wiping out the cylinders or barrel. So, in my excitement, seems i created an issue that really wasn't.
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Having both this and the Taurus 856 I can say the same basic adjustment was done for both (spring and minimum polishing) and the Rossi is hands down the smoother and lighter feeling action. I'll have to play with 856 to find the difference. Id thought it'd be the lighter and smoother. Perhaps it's in the rebound. The Rossi being better geometry with a straight push over the Taurus with an angle push.
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Very shallow and narrow rear notch opened to pick up light on either side of the front sight.
14.jpg
15.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

New Taurus Ameriglo front sight does not rock or wobble. New pin pushed in neatly with no mushroom using a b-square sight pusher.

16.jpg
17.jpg
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Some gaps to fill and the new 856 grip in place.
18.jpg
19.jpg
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Grips compared.
21.jpeg
22.jpg
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

The Rossi front sight was used to make the filler. The tail cut off, trimmed .48 inches long and flattened on the underside. A snug push fit with the thumb. Once the groove and sight tail were cleaned, they were painted with 609 locking compound and pressed back into place. 609 was flooded over the top and allowed to wick into the joints. The excess wiped off. Upon hardening, it expanded into the joints locking the new serrated filler into place. It takes about 350 to 500F (soldering iron works) to break the bond so it should stay in place nicely. Could also drill and pin or use epoxy or solder into place. Could even just fill the mortise with black colored epoxy. IF it pops out I'll holler back.....don't think it will though.
23.jpg
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

No parts were "bent" to achieve the results.
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

I just fired my RP63 sxs with my new Colt King Cobra.

Rossi has a better/wider trigger pad. It feels better on the pull and although the pull is slightly heavier than the Colt, it feels lighter.

Colt has a better brass bead front sight than the RP63 came with from the factory, but not as good as the newly installed Ameriglo Orange/Tritium on the RP63.

The Colt factory grip (Hogue) is too long an narrow, same as the RP63 (Hogueish) factory grip.

The Rossi is easier to hang on to with full house loads (Underwood 158g bonded #125) with its newly installed Taurus 856 boot grip. Both are less slap, less sting and less torque with full house 357 loads than my skin ripping Ruger LCR with 38 Special +p loads.

Both guns hit on the sight with 148g LWC and 125g FMJ +P at 7 yards

Both guns hit 2 to 4 inches high at the same range using 357 mag 125g JHP and the Heavy Underwood 158g bonded load noted above.

The Colt has a shorter trigger pull but the Rossi moves back smoother (and its subjective, the Colt is nothing if not smooth).

Both triggers have a wall to stage at, the Rossi wall is a bit easier to break over than the Colt. (This may only be feel due to the wider RP63 trigger)

The Colt has a prettier finish.

The Colt rear sight is very usable as is, the RP63 rear sight had to be opened up to be as quickly usable.

Double taps with both are equally easy to accomplish.

Both guns are equally loud.

Both guns are filled with MIM parts, on the Rossi the MIM circles are hidden, Colt left the MIM circle exposed on the trigger. (The MIM circle shouldn't be exposed at the Colt Price Point, JMHO though.)

The Colt front sight is easier to change and its square bottom (mortise and tenon) profile means you can easily make a sight up from stock or likely modify another makers to fit.

Soooooo........

The Colt King Cobra needs a grip and front sight. Both are inbound.

Once the updates are made to the Colt, I am sure that.....

I like both equally the same. Naturally the Colt will get a high end floral carved holster but it'll be carried regular with the Rossi. The Rossi is probably what will be on my hip when I'm working though, scratches on it should "cost" less than on the Colt.

In the final analysis, glad I bought both. IF forced to sell one, it'd be the Rossi, simply because the other is a Colt and a Colt Snake gun has always been on the Bucket List.