Tune the Rossi R92 at nearly zero cost

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Sharps40

Re: Tune the Rossi R92 at nearly zero cost

Post by Sharps40 »

While I had it apart I took out the very stiff ejector spring. It's .045 wire at .24 od.

Using some Brownells spring stock, same od, similar coil spacing but .035 dia wire, I cut a length with 1/2 turn less coil. Creating a dead coil on each end effectively shortens the spring one more full coil. After polishing the spring ends it was assembled and functioned. Good ejection (and lots easier to reassemble) and noticeably easier to close.
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Sorry Steve..... :)
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Mag spring length of 1.3 to 1.5 times the length of the mag tube provides ease of loading with best dirty gun reliability. 1.5 times is the best all around choice for a shorter spring
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

I don't care much for steves, or skinners similar for marlin, bolt mounted peep sights. They are pretty much sling swivels sold at $66+ last I looked. Coarse threads for not very helpful range/load adjustments and in the case of steves, no windage.

But, if you look around, for $10 or less, way back when, and still available now, there was a grand option.

Marbles Adjustable Front Sights. Windage and tons of elevation. And suits the rifle better than picatinny rails, dot thingies or perhaps even a scope.....

First, center the rear sight. Thoughtful of Rossi to provide a rear sight centering reference mark.
14.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sharps40 on 19 Jan 2024 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Factory front sight provides limited adjustment and is too short (rifle shoots high with light bullets, it'll be worse with fast heavies)
15.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Very old Marbles NOS adjustable front sights marketed by a long defunct company, Original Sight Exchange.
16.jpeg
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

With both front and rear adjustable for windage and elevation, and the ability to split settings between front and rear, I'll be able to put the gun dead on with about any load and/range.

If you're going to have sights, the movement on target should be something less than "1 1/8" off hi or low". That's a wide miss on a small target, finer is better. (Had a sling swivel fan boi get a bit engaged arguing that even if the swivel had 32 TPI that would provide a point of impact only 1.125 high or 1.125 low, "well within the capability of the rifle"......Thanked him for his mathematical proof of the less versatile nature of said rear sight and moved on.)

I no longer burn time reloading, so, it'll pay to have adjustability against the fact I'll never be quite sure a particular load is available.
17.jpeg
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Math said to start here with the current hunting load, Underwood pn 125, 158g bonded jhp.
18.jpeg
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Old front overlaid on new for reference.
19.jpeg
Sharps40

Post by Sharps40 »

Guess I'll spend the $50 odd saved on something else......Thanks Marbles and Math Wiz....