R92 Scope Rings

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
BasMstr

R92 Scope Rings

Post by BasMstr »

Just bought an R92 in 357, got a Crossfire II Scout scope on the way. Looking for suggestions on scope rings. My rifle has the picatinny rail with peep sight. Any rings out there that ya’ll would recommend that are basically “see through”? Or would quick detach be a better option for this rifle?
Nashville Stage

Re: R92 Scope Rings

Post by Nashville Stage »

They seem like a neat idea, but I would advise against getting see-through rings (the type which has holes underneath the scope so you can still see the iron sights). I do a fair amount of rifle instructing with Project Appleseed, and see a lot of varieties of rifles & sights come through. A handful of folks have had those rings freshly mounted on their rifles. The vast majority of them hate the rings by the time the first day is over.

The problem that you run into with those rings is that the scope is placed very high to accommodate the see-through aspect. Your cheek can't rest on the stock because your eye has to float *way* up high to see through the scope. You often wind up with the worst of both worlds; a scope which turns out to be a pain to use, iron sights which no one uses because you've got a nice scope sitting there, and the weight and bulk of a scope that's sticking out rather far from the rifle.

Quick-detach rings are fine if you can keep the hight reasonably low, but extra hight is the price you pay compared to regular rings.

Personally, I like to use regular rings and just keep a torque screwdriver in my bag for when I want to attach a scope to the Pic rail of one of my rifles. I'm reasonably careful and consistent when attaching scopes, and don't really have issues with misalignment when re-attaching. But to each their own; those are simply my preferences and my $.02. :)
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I haven’t posted pictures since the forum returned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Here’s the old string without the pictures:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6710&hilit=Picatinny
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

There was one more picture that needed a skitch more compression, but my compression utility refuses to compress an already compressed picture. Sorry.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

BasMstr...wouldn't the rear peep obstruct you sight picture thru a QD low mounted scope? I've observed that a "see thru" scope mount also requires the addition of a cheek pad on the stock for proper sighting.
BasMstr

Post by BasMstr »

Nashville Stage wrote: 14 Dec 2023 22:26 They seem like a neat idea, but I would advise against getting see-through rings (the type which has holes underneath the scope so you can still see the iron sights). I do a fair amount of rifle instructing with Project Appleseed, and see a lot of varieties of rifles & sights come through. A handful of folks have had those rings freshly mounted on their rifles. The vast majority of them hate the rings by the time the first day is over.

The problem that you run into with those rings is that the scope is placed very high to accommodate the see-through aspect. Your cheek can't rest on the stock because your eye has to float *way* up high to see through the scope. You often wind up with the worst of both worlds; a scope which turns out to be a pain to use, iron sights which no one uses because you've got a nice scope sitting there, and the weight and bulk of a scope that's sticking out rather far from the rifle.

Quick-detach rings are fine if you can keep the hight reasonably low, but extra hight is the price you pay compared to regular rings.

Personally, I like to use regular rings and just keep a torque screwdriver in my bag for when I want to attach a scope to the Pic rail of one of my rifles. I'm reasonably careful and consistent when attaching scopes, and don't really have issues with misalignment when re-attaching. But to each their own; those are simply my preferences and my $.02. :)
Been a few years, but I’ve used them in the past. Of course, none of those were mounted on picatinny rails, so definitely gonna be higher. I’m just curious if anyone has used them on these rifles.

Appreciate your input!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Here’s that fourth picture:

IMG_3930.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.