Love/hate Rossi 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Love/hate Rossi 92

Post by runfiverun »

the ammo is part of the machinery in a 92.
I feed mine the proper bullets and can operate them upside down or sideways or fast or slow or stop and catch the empty then feed the next round.
MoMan

Post by MoMan »

Yeah, I found that RNFP will feed through all of my R92's (.357/.45lc/.44mag). I've loaded and shot other bullet profiles, most without any hiccups, including SWC, and 240gr Keith style SWC (in my .44mag).
Being as I do not hunt with my R92's, and use them just for range guns, I prefer the LRN, because they just function through every gun I put them through.
MO

Member: Kentucky Regulators G.C./LaSalle Sportsmen's Club/NRA
COSteve

Post by COSteve »

I just found that Rossi Rifleman is back up and I'm happy to rejoin after the break. I had to re-sign up and get the admin to approve me so this is my first new post but I was a previous member here.

I've had my 2 Rossi .357 Mags, a 20" carbine and a 24" rifle, since I got them new in 2009 and out of the box they both preferred ammo that was at least 1.500" OAL. As I only have fed them handloads, it's no problem giving them what they want and after fooling around with .38 Spl brass sorting for a few years i now only load in .357 Mag brass. They love Berry's and RMR RNFP plated as well as Zero JSP both in 125 and 158 grn.

I did tweak them using Steve's Gunz kit and videos which I found very helpful. After that they've run slick as snot ever since. Both are among my favorite long guns to take almost every time I go out.

BTW, I use to use H110 as my full power powder but a few years back found that Lil'Gun gave me about 10% higher velocities while producing a much lower peak pressure that's much more kind to my brass so it lasts longer. Ballistically, my 158grn Zero bullet out of my 24" rifle produces a whopping 2,005 fps with 18.0 grns (Max load) of Lil'Gun vs 1,822 fps with 16.7 grns (Max load) of H110.

Now Lil'Gun is all I use for full power loads I use for shooting at bowling pins at 200 and when I'm on, 300 yds with my tang and globe equipped rifle. I use Unique for medium to low plinkers in my carbine, however, I added one of Steve's bolt top peep sights with another target aperture to increase the sight radius as well as the precision and I can poop the 200 yds bowling pins with it too.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Welcome back COSteve. Wondered why we haven't heard from you (at least in here) for a while. Looking forward to some more of your input. As for loving/hating the R92s... it's a complicated tool that maybe, or maybe not, has to be tweaked to get the best performance out of it. Always makes me think of that tag line from one of our members here. "A gun is not really yours until you void the warranty." Brother ain't that the truth.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome back to the fold!