Love/hate Rossi 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Yogi

Re: Love/hate Rossi 92

Post by Yogi »

Mine just will not feed swc's period but will feed just fine with rnfp. Might take her apart this winter and do a little adjusting.
Deleted User 5571

Post by Deleted User 5571 »

I have three in .357, none of them like SWC's, but RNFP's work perferfectly in them. I replace the ejector spring with a spring for a Miroku 92, it makes a world of difference in smoothing them up and dropping the empty's close, I get the springs from Numerich.
Bazoo

Post by Bazoo »

My buddies gun was stock, and it would send the empties into low earth orbit. I was trying to see if I could get it to jam up, working it slow then fast. It printed a respectable group too with my handloads. I was actually pretty surprised it fed the 38-150-SWCs though.
Cataloging the world's bullets.
Deleted User 5571

Post by Deleted User 5571 »

My 92's like to be worked vigorously, going slow can make them malfunction. Lever like you mean it. :lol:
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

Yogi wrote: 06 Dec 2023 07:55 Mine just will not feed swc's period but will feed just fine with rnfp. Might take her apart this winter and do a little adjusting.
Strange. Mine feeds SWCs in both .38 and .357 smooth as silk.
Czy_Horse

Post by Czy_Horse »

My new 24" SS Rossi doesn't like the semi-wad cutter style bullet I have in either 38 or 357.
No issues with 130gr LRNFP in 38Spl and 125gr Winchester JHP's, 158gr Campro TCFCP or 158gr Hornady FP-XTP's in 357Mag.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

My 92 just don't like "pugnose" bullets. No real issue with SWC's, but I tend to stick with RNFP or HP RNFP. I bought a small 250 ct box of the pugnose with the hope of them being a nice fit with the Rossi, but I've been wasting primers to shoot the dang things up in my revolvers.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

Are you manipulating the lever with authority? Dont baby that thing. If you have experience with leverguns Im sure you already know this. If you dont, work that thing.

Im sympathetic to your plight but at least you have the gun, I bought my 454 about 4 months ago and I was just informed that I wont get a replacement for another 6 to 8 weeks.

The one I do have feeds any and everything, including SWC's in both 38 and 357, go figure. Seems theyre be more commonality between these things.

Have you inspected the mouth of your chamber? Due to the design of the '92 and the rounds they were DESIGNED to fire straightwalled cartridges require some creative tweaks to cycle reliably. My 357 had had the chamber mouth reamed a bit too much and bulges hot 357's, perhaps yours needs a little more of a "funnel" for lack of a more technical term. Think of a forcing cone in a revolver. As was said OAL plays a role here though I found that too short was an issue but not jam inducing. Like others, mine will feed anything.

The 454 I did have would have cycled a beercan I think.
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

You know I hear this all the time about use the lever with authority. I have twelve lever action rifles. I can work the levers with authority or as slow as I like ( because I don't like throwing the brass on the ground and then searching for it, I reload) never matters on any of them. So I am always very skeptical about this. I feel that if the gun is working like it should it does not matter. Even my 454 Casull.
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

I have no feed problems with wither of our R92s.

Wish I could get my hands on one that is haveing trouble.
See what's going on there.
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer