Rossi 95 Spikehorn?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Deleted User 5571

Rossi 95 Spikehorn?

Post by Deleted User 5571 »

My new 95 trapper with the soft buttpad had a length of pull that was 14", that's just too long for my short arms. I ordered a Marlin 336 but plate because I fuigured it would take less work to fit, and chopped the stock to the same length as a Marlin Spikehorn. Much better, more pictures after I get the final fitting done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Rossi 95 Spikehorn?

Post by Gunny268 »

Pictures...YES. Also please specify finished length of pull. I'm definitely interested.
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

I made a comment on your other post in another forum. I cut all mine down to 12.5" LOP. Can't wait to see your finished project.
Deleted User 5571

LOP will be 12.75, I cut the stock for a 12.5 LOP and the buttplate will add about about 1/4". Hopefully I will fit the buttplate today and post pic's.
Deleted User 5571

This morning I moved the sling stud up one inch, it was too close to the toe for my liking. And I thought it might interfere with the bottom butt plate screw. I looked around and found a grub screw in my parts box that fit the hole, not elegant but a little tru oil will make it look better. This gun will work for a living and I can overlook that minor scar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

You might want to buy some 1/4" walnut rod and drill it out and glue a plug into the hole. Tape around it and sand it as flush as you like and then stain it. Might really look good. I did that to my MTR when I removed the rear swivel stud.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Each man likes his steak a different way but that is not a minor scar to some of us. I have 60+ year old guns with no marks that obvious. I do like you doing what you want to make it the way you want it's just not in my DNA ... of course I don't buy new guns either.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Deleted User 5571

I purchased this one new because it has no collector value, I can use it how I need to without worrying. It's not jewelry it's a tool, I don't have any use for a safe queen.
Last edited by Deleted User 5571 on 03 Dec 2023 06:18, edited 6 times in total.
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

GasGuzzler,
Yes differences is what makes the world go round, but I am only 5'5" tall or short depending on how you want to say it. So most factory rifles with the 14" LOP is like holding a 8' 2x4 on your shoulder. After some practice and mess ups you get pretty good at cutting them off. So sometimes moving that sling stud is a must. Hate to do it, but to enjoy your firearm and to comfortably shoot it is a must for me.
Deleted User 5571

Ha, Yeah I'm a 5'5" type myself, I understand. I've chopped several over the years and usually take the effort to plug the stud hole properly if I have to move it. LOP is important for good shooting and I have to shorten them for my use. This one will be a near daily carry on a four wheeler around the place, I'll take care of it but it won't be babied like my 92's. It's not a beater but a honest worker. I gave my Marlin 336Y to my niece and gave my Winchester 94 trapper to my son I need another short 30-30.
Well the postal service gremlins got me and my new buttplate didn't show up. But the day wasn't a total loss, I replaced the plastic magazine follower with a stainless one.