Stupid move by a newb

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Buttie

Stupid move by a newb

Post by Buttie »

Hello all, This is my first post here and I need help fixing a problem I caused. I have a SS Rossi M92 in .357. I'm trying to keep it from eating my brass and bought the C530 spring to upgrade the rife. Well I'd only striped this rifle once a few years ago and "thought" I remembered how do do it. Well I didn't.

So I pulled out all the screws out of the receiver and and started to take it apart and that's when the trouble began. Where I'm at is the bolt is stuck closed. I tried putting the screws back in and no joy. Can anyone help me out with the stuck bolt?

Also any pointers on developing loads for this rifle?
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Stupid move by a newb

Post by runfiverun »

if your gonna take it that far down you start by removing the stock and taking the pressure off the trigger.
anyway there's a DVD out there called 'complete Winchester 92'.
it walks you through taking one down and reassembling it properly in clear concise words and zoom in's.
you can find it at www gun video dot com.

depends on what twist rate you got as far as loads go.
older ones handle 180gr. bullets just fine.
most of the newer ones do their best with 125's.
I shoot 158's in mine on top of Herco powder at about 1400 fps.
I have no reservations using this load for anything up through 300 lb. deer within reasonable ranges, and it corresponds to my sight ramp.
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

Here's a quick video of the steps to disassemble & reassemble your rifle if you need a jog to the memory:

If your bolt is still locked up, the first place I would check is the pin that gets driven out at about the 0:50 point in the video. It connects the lever to the bolt. If it came partially out, it can bind in the receiver and keep the bolt from opening. Also, it's possible that the small filler screw which keeps the pin from falling out could have been over-tightened and is now binding against the bolt.
Buttie

Post by Buttie »

The pin is on the bench.
oldfogey

Post by oldfogey »

Looking at your post sounds like you pulled all the reciever screws with the bolt closed and now you can't get the bolt to move etc. Several thingscould be happening there. If you pulled the cartridge guide screws either the right or left cartridge guides could have moved out of position and are keeping the bolt from moving. If you pulled the loading gate screw and the loading gate is loose in the reciever the gate could prevent the bolt from moving. Sounds like you may need to take a trip to a gunsmith familiar with these rifles
Buttie

Post by Buttie »

oldfogey wrote: 06 Nov 2023 10:53 Looking at your post sounds like you pulled all the reciever screws with the bolt closed and now you can't get the bolt to move etc. Several thingscould be happening there. If you pulled the cartridge guide screws either the right or left cartridge guides could have moved out of position and are keeping the bolt from moving. If you pulled the loading gate screw and the loading gate is loose in the reciever the gate could prevent the bolt from moving. Sounds like you may need to take a trip to a gunsmith familiar with these rifles
Thanks, I'm thinking of shipping it to Rossi.
Cassy

Post by Cassy »

When you replaced the ejector spring, how did you hold the ejector and collar in place while sliding the bolt back in? They must be held in place until the lever pin is reinstalled.
oldfogey

Post by oldfogey »

Cassy wrote: 07 Nov 2023 01:33 When you replaced the ejector spring, how did you hold the ejector and collar in place while sliding the bolt back in? They must be held in place until the lever pin is reinstalled.
He hasn't replaced the ejector spring.....he can't get the bolt out and You can't replace that spring without taking out the bolt
Buttie

Post by Buttie »

oldfogey wrote: 06 Nov 2023 10:53 Looking at your post sounds like you pulled all the reciever screws with the bolt closed and now you can't get the bolt to move etc. Several thingscould be happening there. If you pulled the cartridge guide screws either the right or left cartridge guides could have moved out of position and are keeping the bolt from moving. If you pulled the loading gate screw and the loading gate is loose in the reciever the gate could prevent the bolt from moving. Sounds like you may need to take a trip to a gunsmith familiar with these rifles
Thanks, I'm thinking of shipping it to Rossi.
Buttie

Post by Buttie »

oldfogey wrote: 07 Nov 2023 13:07
Cassy wrote: 07 Nov 2023 01:33 When you replaced the ejector spring, how did you hold the ejector and collar in place while sliding the bolt back in? They must be held in place until the lever pin is reinstalled.
He hasn't replaced the ejector spring.....he can't get the bolt out and You can't replace that spring without taking out the bolt
That's my dilemma.