Maybe a helpful cleaning tip

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
LittleBill

Maybe a helpful cleaning tip

Post by LittleBill »

Given our platform Im going to supppse that many here either shoot cast bullets or want to. Being that it's (used to be at least)
more economical to shoot cast I know I shoot alot of them and intend to shoot cast exclusively in the 454 once I finally get it I thought Id share something that I have just not seen mentioned here and thats a way, a very quick and very easy way to remove any lead deposits from a barrel, if tou het leading at all, and that is by using either a pire copper ChorBoy or in the alternative bronze wool tightly wrapped around a sub-caliber borebrush, I use nylon brushes myself.

Of course the goal is to decipher all pertinent measurements to prevent leading in the first place but barring that leading does still pccur and the way to remove it easily and quickly is by taking that wrapped brush and run it through the bore and watch the lead fly out. As a benefit the chorboy or bronze woll also cleans jist about everything else too.
Hope this helps someone.
CharlieSW

Re: Maybe a helpful cleaning tip

Post by CharlieSW »

Thanks for the tip!
Bazoo

Post by Bazoo »

Copper chore bore wrapped around a bore brush is a great lead removal aid. You have to make sure the diameter of the modified brush is of a diameter that it's somewhat difficult to pull into your bore, and use a light oil like Rem Oil for lube. I use a worn brush of the same size as the bore, but I've also used a smaller brush.

I think the easiest way to remove leading though is to shoot it out by shooting a handful of gas checked bullets. Course... if those are the ones causing leading, chore bore it is.
Cataloging the world's bullets.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Just a word of caution. Check to make sure your copper "Chore Boy" is just copper. Some knockoffs out there use a copper coated steel wool. Easy to check with a magnet if there is steel wool under that copper color.
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

Thats right and thats why I said to use only pure copper chorboy, even though I mispelled it as pire copper above I figured everyone would know what I meant.

A gaschecked cast bullet will take some but not all leading out, it certainly cuts down on it to start with but at their prices, for those who still have to buy them, I jist prefer the chorboy because a 2 pack lasts me over a year, and I shoot mostly 2 times a week. A lube wont hurt buy I dont see it being necessary. Ive had ChorBoy thats tight, not tight and in between and it will work better and faster than anything Ive tried, and no chemicals involved. The small of some of those so-called lead removers is atrocious.

Im glad I could be of some help here.
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

Powder coat!
No leading problem then.
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer