92 Triple black thoughts...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Unit59

92 Triple black thoughts...

Post by Unit59 »

I own a 92 blued 357 16", and a 92 stainless 357 16", and I thinking about adding a triple black in the same caliber. What say Yee?
1. I know it's a matter of personal choice, and.
2. A new rifle is never a bad thing, so.
3. I like short 357's, so what say Yee?
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: 92 Triple black thoughts...

Post by Gunny268 »

I see no down side...I have two 92s in 357 and it works out well. My 2 granddaughters can burn thru a couple of boxes, each, of 38 Spl (my reloads) on a weekend visit and not break the bank.
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

We have a pair of Rossi R92s in 357 Magnum.
One stainless and one blued (black!).
Love them both.
I use my 180 grain Hornady XTP for hunting pig.
Wife like the 38s.
There is really no down side here. :)
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

It fills some gaps, yes? All weather stock, Picatinny rail and threaded barrel . . .

I put Pic rails on a lot of my firearms so I can mount any optic and sometimes an aperture. The Triple Black already has the aperture.

I’ve found threaded barrels to be most useful for linear compensators. But they give you the option of brakes or suppressors.
Unit59

Post by Unit59 »

The threaded muzzle is definitely a plus and the finish, well it's different for sure. I think I just like the fact that's it's different than most lever guns seen today, but still very functional in it's own way. My only negative with the rifle is the large loop, but that can be remedied if needed and most likely I'll just leave it be and get used to it, maybe even like it. I'm going to order it while it is available to me as 92's seem spotty with their availability for some reason. One week there here and the next all gone forcing prices up even further. Hopefully in a few days it will be at my FFL ready to go home.
dmk

Post by dmk »

HarryAlonzo wrote: 03 Sep 2023 11:44 It fills some gaps, yes? All weather stock, Picatinny rail and threaded barrel . . .
Isn't the stock wood, painted black?
Unit59

Post by Unit59 »

Rossi's website says wood with a cerakote finish, I believe the wood is painted black with a black speckle finish on it.
Unit59

Post by Unit59 »

I picked up the triple black this morning and it's an impressive looking lever gun. Stock is wood with a thick rubber butt pad, threaded muzzle and rear sight is windage and elevation adjustable, front sight is an elevated gold bead. The finish and fitment on the rifle is good, all screws are tight and the lever moves freely without restriction. I like the rear sight setup with the Williams peep sight as it looks very functional and correct on this rifle. I'm going to clean it up and give it some lube and take it out early next week and run some rounds through it, this is going to make an excellent truck gun.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Mazeltov! Please give us a range report when you can.
Unit59

Post by Unit59 »

Triple black had it's first range visit today and it did well. Ammo was 125gr 357 and 158gr 357, I shot 20 rounds of each starting with the 125gr. At 50 yards the sights were perfect for windage right from the start, but 2" high. I lowered the rear peep almost as far as it goes and it's pretty might right on target, maybe a tad high. The 158gr had almost an identical point of impact, just a bit more punch to them. The rear peep sight worked well for me even being attached to the barrel just in front of the receiver, my eyes adjusted easily to them. The rifle is a very soft shooter with the 357's and I didn't even try 38's. All 8 rounds went into the mag tube fairly easily although I did smooth out the loading gate harsh edges beforehand. I have no issues with the rifle as it worked well with the 40 rounds I ran through it, cycled them all perfectly and smoothly. I didn't shoot for accuracy but average a 2" group most of the time which is acceptable to this old shooter. Next time I'll stretch it's legs a bit more and try at 100 yards.