Rossi's New R95 Lever Action

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
barracudadave67

Re: Rossi's New R95 Lever Action

Post by barracudadave67 »

The street price on the new R95s is around $ 750.00-$800.00. Thats still a little much in my opinion, but it woudnt stop me from getting one.
As for as the leversize goes I like the big loop. In my advanced age, my hands won fit into Size XL, I have to buy 2XL in mens gloves, and are not that easy to find, in that size. In the north woods of northern Wisconsin deer hunting can, and does get real cold. Last year opening day was -14* F, so I don't like taking my gloves off. The big loops work. I have one on my Remlin Mod 336 ,30-30, big loop, with 16.5 inch BBL.
I m saving my dinaros for the regular R 95.

Dave
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

You won't find me hunting (or doing anything else) in -14* weather. If it were a necessity, I would likely not use a lever action. It is nice that Rossi is offering a variety.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

man,, I hope that retail price is in Brazillian dollars.
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

I just purchased a used Rio Grande in 45/70. Never knew till this weekend that they even existed. I have big loops on almost all my lever rifles. I don't operate them like a regular lever, just slide your hand forward then back. Almost like a pump action, easily done and quick. Plus I just love the looks of the big loop lever.
Deleted User 5571

Post by Deleted User 5571 »

Brought this one home a week ago, added a set of XS sights for my old eyes and it's a great little trapper. The action is slick as can be. As far as the big lever goes, it's OK. It's not as big in your hand as it is in the pictures, I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I've contacted Rossi in hopes of getting a standard lever for it. I think that would suit me better but I can live with this one. Length of pull is about 14", that's too long for my arms and I'm going to chop it down and put on a standard buttplate instead of the thick factory soft one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

Rossi has sure put me in a pickle in the past year.

I've been diligently working on a "scaling back" program for well over a decade now - moving stuff I really like but don't use. My small battery is quite fit, trim and manageable now and I'm enjoying it, but then Rossi's 92 look a lot better* than those before the retooling. Then, they brought their (old) Smith-based revolvers back, and now this 95, which is THE most appealing (to me) lever 30/30 I've seen in all my years.

I'm set up for the 357 Mag (and Max) and the 30/30 with Contender Carbines, but quality repeaters in both, but especially the 357 Mag, make a lot of sense too. Honestly, the only thing stopping me (merely slowing me down, really) from adding a 92 and 95 back into my small battery is current pricing - WOW!

If Rossie were to chamber the 95 in 38-55 or the new 360 BH (both legal for deer in my state), I'd be selling furniture to finance one.

*MY 357 Rossi 92, bought in 08 or 09, pretty much had to be completely rebuilt right out of the box. It had almost everything wrong with it that could be wrong, but the bore and chamber were better than many custom barrels I'd bought for more than the whole 92 cost me. BY the time I was done it was exquisite and my brother has it now but won't let it go.

This new 95 really, REALLY pushes almost all the right buttons for me, but I don't NEED one, so I am trying to avoid it. But, man, I have all the stuff! In fact, the PERFECT bullet too - an RDO 311165RF, which I think I bought directly from Michael, used, and it shoots the most gratifying groups from my Contender Carbine.