Buy a 20" to have it shortened and threaded?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dmk

Buy a 20" to have it shortened and threaded?

Post by dmk »

I have really want a threaded lever action for a long time to shoot 38 specials suppressed. However, the Rossi Triple Black and Henry X series are out of stock everywhere. Plus I don't want the big hoop lever, black furniture and special sights that they come with. So I'd end up changing a bunch of stuff on it anyway, which would make the cost higher than it already is.

I've been looking at the standard 20" Stainless R92 and it's half the price of the Triple Black or Henry X. They are in stock right now at many places online, plus it already has the wood furniture, buckhorn sights and standard lever that I want.

Does it make sense to buy the 20", have a gunsmith shorten it to 17", thread it and buy a 16" carbine mag tube from Rossi (which is available for about $20)? As far as I can see, the front sight and barrel band would have to also be moved back. Am I missing anything else?

I don't want to buy a 16" carbine to start with, because then the mag tube would also need to be shortened which is more work, and I lose one round of capacity.

Give me a sanity check here. Thanks.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Buy a 20" to have it shortened and threaded?

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Based on this limited information, I would judge you to be sane. But I suggest that you seek the opinion of a mental health care professional.

The only thing you might be missing is that any machinist will want to have the barrel removed for threading. I have never removed a Rossi 92 barrel from the receiver, so I don’t know the level of difficulty.

I’m a fan of the Rossi stainless, but I would bet the alloy is less than friendly for the machinist. But there’s enough meat on it for them to find out before they get in too deep.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

dmk wrote: 18 Aug 2023 11:39Plus I don't want the big hoop lever, black furniture and special sights that they come with. So I'd end up changing a bunch of stuff on it anyway, which would make the cost higher than it already is.
Same feeling here.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
dmk

Post by dmk »

HarryAlonzo wrote: 18 Aug 2023 22:24 Based on this limited information, I would judge you to be sane. But I suggest that you seek the opinion of a mental health care professional.
:D Good point. There probably are many other factors to consider. :P

HarryAlonzo wrote: 18 Aug 2023 22:24 The only thing you might be missing is that any machinist will want to have the barrel removed for threading. I have never removed a Rossi 92 barrel from the receiver, so I don’t know the level of difficulty.

I’m a fan of the Rossi stainless, but I would bet the alloy is less than friendly for the machinist. But there’s enough meat on it for them to find out before they get in too deep.
I hadn't considered SS being a problem. I'd be ok with a blued gun though. This is why I'm asking before I buy the gun. 8-)
dmk

Post by dmk »

GasGuzzler wrote: 19 Aug 2023 05:51
dmk wrote: 18 Aug 2023 11:39Plus I don't want the big hoop lever, black furniture and special sights that they come with. So I'd end up changing a bunch of stuff on it anyway, which would make the cost higher than it already is.
Same feeling here.
Yeah, I really wish the mfgs would just make a standard classic lever action carbine with a threaded barrel. It seems mfgs today always have to over complicate things.
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

This is deep into gun smith territory.
Any smith that can cut and thread a barrel can also shorten the mag tube.
But is this a realistic thing to do?
Or a sweet dream?
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer
dmk

Post by dmk »

cavelamb wrote: 19 Aug 2023 07:53 But is this a realistic thing to do?
Or a sweet dream?
I've seen pictures of lever guns that people say they have had it done.

When a threaded Henry X series is $1,000+ and a Rossi Triple Black is $900+ and then on top of that I'd need to change out the stupid big hoop lever, black furniture, top rails and sights, this may actually be the cheaper way to go when I can get a standard Rossi 20" for $550-650. So that gives me a $400-600 budget for the gunsmithing.

The trick is finding a gunsmith willing to do it. They must be out there somewhere, because people have had it done.
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

dmk wrote: 19 Aug 2023 08:05
cavelamb wrote: 19 Aug 2023 07:53 But is this a realistic thing to do?
Or a sweet dream?
I've seen pictures of lever guns that people say they have had it done.

When a threaded Henry X series is $1,000+ and a Rossi Triple Black is $900+ and then on top of that I'd need to change out the stupid big hoop lever, black furniture, top rails and sights, this may actually be the cheaper way to go when I can get a standard Rossi 20" for $550-650. So that gives me a $400-600 budget for the gunsmithing.

The trick is finding a gunsmith willing to do it. They must be out there somewhere, because people have had it done.

But did they do it for someone else, or for themselves.

$400 is probably not going to cover this kind of work.
Might have to bump up your budget a bit?
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have no use for stainless...or the other things mentioned. I have no use for a can or a scope on a lever. I am not you. Do your thing.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
JRexA

Post by JRexA »

By all means do it.
But I would just shorten the existing Mag Tube.

Should be easier, than shortening and threading the Barrel.
Happy Shooting from Greenland
Jesper Rex