Went Shooting Today!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
MXSENIOR

Went Shooting Today!

Post by MXSENIOR »

After a week of working on my "new" 92. (24" Octagon Barrel Stainless) finally got to shoot it. See my posting a day or so ago on replacing the locking lugs pivot pin as to some of the work that was done. Back to the shooting - am pleased to report that I'm still grinning like an idiot! The gun functioned flawlessly. Only got to run about thirty rounds before I ran out of daylight. It was printing 2 to 4 inch groups at fifty yards, but was pulling about 8 inches to the right. Also, the rear sight kept adjusting itself from the recoil. Should be easy fixes. Any recommendations for for sights for a 58 yr old with fuzzy close up eyesight. I have red dots or scopes on everything else. Recoil was much less than I'd anticipated. Overall, extremely pleased with the weapon except for the work I had to put into it to get it to this point. Will be calling Rossi customer service with a detailed list of things that were wrong when I first laid eyes on it. Click on link for pics.
http://s663.beta.photobucket.com/user/m ... 4%20Magnum
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Went Shooting Today!

Post by akuser47 »

After a little finish work that stock set will be one good looking piece of wood.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
MXSENIOR

Post by MXSENIOR »

I wanted to remove the cross grain file marks but I'd have gone below the metal. Those are from the factory, not mine. I stripped the wood, sanded it as smooth as possible, stained it with an Ebony stain, Finished it off with about 4 coats of Truoil. Any suggestions to make it better??
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I understand I love the finish you have and know what you are talking about I had to leave some marks on mine as well but mine are not as noticable with my finish. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion sorry I don't cause removeing those marks will need heavy sanding and can lead to more work than it is worth it has charachter and looks great anyways so please don't take my comment in a negetive way. I hope someone else will have a sugesstion for the file marks.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

MXSENIOR wrote: Will be calling Rossi customer service with a detailed list of things that were wrong when I first laid eyes on it.
Par for the course. The Rossi CS (probably just a phone extension and not a resourced department capable of actually fixing anything) has heard it all before.
Most of the long time Rossi customers have accepted the repair work and finishing as routine and recognized Rossi CS for the fiction that it is.
When I get a new Rossi in I just grab the tool box and get on with the work.........a well rehearsed scenario believe me.........a lot less frustrating when you just accept reality for what it is.
I quit writing letters to the Easter Bunny and Santa Klaus years ago........same thing with Rossi CS. ;)
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

MXSENIOR wrote:I wanted to remove the cross grain file marks but I'd have gone below the metal. Those are from the factory, not mine. I stripped the wood, sanded it as smooth as possible, stained it with an Ebony stain, Finished it off with about 4 coats of Truoil. Any suggestions to make it better??

Pics please. I really like the ebony stain and have done some stocks with it. Would like to see yours.

A peep sight from stevesgunz.com or Skinner will help for sighting. Or a tang sight. I also like a full buckhorn used like a peep.
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Deleted
Last edited by Deleted User 327 on 01 May 2014 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

"If you don't want to go the tang sight route, there is another, free way to accomplish the same thing. Simply take some black electrical tape and cut out blanks using a hole punch. Then punch a tiny hole in the middle and stick it to your glasses where you sight through them to shoot. The smaller the aperture, the longer the DoF will appear so keep the center hole tiny. Using the glasses below, my DoF is almost unlimited and I can clearly see the front and rear sights as well as the target even though it may be over 100 yds away!

Because the aperture is too close to your eye for it to focus on, the tape spot will appear to be a faint ghost image that doesn't block your vision at all. The center aperture will appear very large because of it's closeness to your eye and you'll just notice that everything inside it is sharp and clear. In addition, because it is so small, it won't interfere or block your normal field of view. This add-on aperture works with progressive lenses as well as regular prescription lens. You don't need any special glasses at all. Just make sure that you keep the center aperture clean and you'll be amazed at the difference.
?
They work great and best of all..................they’re free!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

CO Steve, that there is a very bright idea !! Being of your age group, I am finding difficulty resolving the the front sight these days, especially in late afternoon. I will give this one a try. Back when I was silhouette shooting, I remember some company marketing a small eyeglass aperture that fastened to the stem and swiveled into your eyesight. This seems better, because once properly affixed, it won't be bumped out of adjustment. Thanks !
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
MXSENIOR

Post by MXSENIOR »

I've got some friends coming over Thursday afternoon to do some practice. I will try that out on a pair of my sunglasses. Will update!

“One of the arguments that had been made against gun control was that an armed citizenry was the final bulwark against tyranny. My response had been that untrained, lightly-armed non-soldiers couldn’t prevail against a modern army. I had concluded that the qualitative difference in firepower was such that all of the previous rules of guerilla war no longer applied. Both Vietnam and Afghanistan demonstrated that wasn’t true. Repelling an armed invasion is not something that American citizens are likely to face, but the possibility of a despotic government coming to power is not wholly unthinkable. One of the sequellae of Vietnam was the rise of the Khmer Rouge and slaughter of perhaps a million Cambodian citizens. Those citizens, like the Jews in Germany or the Armenians in Turkey, were unarmed and thus utterly and completely defenseless against police and paramilitary. An armed minority was able to kill and terrorize unarmed victims with total impunity.” – Paul Hagar, “Why I Carry”
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

In the unlikely event of an invasion I may not be able to stop a tank but I'd prefer to die fighting defending my family than be slaughtered unarmed and defenseless like a sheep.
I'd do my damnedest +guns to make sure I wasn't the first person to die that day.
As for the tyrannical regime thing...........we're going to get a little taste of that in the next 4 years.

I wouldn't be feeling very proud of myself if I was one of the gun owners that didn't vote last November.
Some gun owners say they don't get involved in politics or political discussions..........that's gotta be most naive viewpoint I ever heard of..........if you're a gun owner you're involved in politics by definition.

I still use iron sights and take game successfully with them.
It's my object resolution within a foot of my face that's been screwed up since my late 40s...........beyond that 12" radius I'm OK.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA