45LC fACTORY AMMO.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Gabby

45LC fACTORY AMMO.

Post by Gabby »

i PLAN TO GET A NEW ROSSI 92 IN 45 LC. does anyone deer or hog hunt with factory ammo. I don't reload yet and understand the caliber has great potencial if handloaded. So if anyone has any info to share on factory loads and their real performance I'm all ears,
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 45LC fACTORY AMMO.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Gabby wrote:i PLAN TO GET A NEW ROSSI 92 IN 45 LC. does anyone deer or hog hunt with factory ammo. I don't reload yet and understand the caliber has great potencial if handloaded. So if anyone has any info to share on factory loads and their real performance I'm all ears,
I cannot offer specific advise but I would think if your hunting is within 50 yards, a good heavy lead bullet at the SAAMI spec would do it fine. At least it use to be the norm. There is the Buffalo Bore stuff but I hardly think it is worth the cost. If you feel you need more punch, I think Double Tap's 335-grain WFNGC +P would be the ticket. At $1.26 a cartridge, it is half the cost of the BB ammo. This is a good gas checked bullet so I imagine it would perform very well in the R92.
DT_45LC_335WFNGC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

PMC used to offer a +P load for the 45, if you find any of that, grab it. It was a jacketed load but very effective. The straight walled cases are one of the best to learn on, IMO, just use dies with carbide inserts to do away with case lubing and cleaning off the lube after. The old 45 had some serious smack a hundred years ago, still does. Enjoy! DP
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

The double tap sounds like a good bet if you are buying rather than making ammo. My Nosler 250JHP load goes around 1550fps from my 16.5" carbine. Double Tap says their standard pressure 250JHP Nosler goes 950fps from a 7.5" revolver. Their 255SWC hard cast +P load goes 1775fps from a 16.5" carbine.

Their prices look in line with Winchester silvertips with much more energy. If the cartridges are for a good condition R92 it should handle them.

That Double Tap 335 dpe.ahoy mentioned is probably a shoulder thumper in my carbine. 1605fps with a 335gr cast bullet gives 1920 ft lbs of muzzle energy. Hogs won't like that one bit. That's 10% below the muzzle energy of Winchester's 300HP 45-70 load.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver