New M92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.

New M92

Post by 0369 »

I picked up a 20" round barrel 92 in 45 Colt on Thursday. It's been on my gun bucket list for a while and the oportunity presented itself. I've been infatuated with 45 Colt for years for it's versatility and ease of reloading. I decided to try my pet load for my Cimarron Thunderer today for the first load through it which is a Lee 255gr. FRN on top of Unique. To my surprise, at 50 yards, it shot dead center as it came from the factory in between 1 and 1 1/2".
Needless to say I'm quite happy with it so far except for the rear sight. I've never liked open sights so it will end up with an aperature rear. Great forum and glad I found it.
Lostcoast

Re: New M92

Post by Lostcoast »

Welcome to the forum, 0369! Glad you're having a good time with your new Rossi.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

yep a stainless .45lc lever and SA revolver is on my bucket list still. someday soon.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Post by 0369 »

AK user, I had an offer on an AR that I couldn't refuse so my list ia getting smaller. For some rrason my 45 Colt collection keeps getting bigger. I guess I should get a 357 M 92 now to have a couple companion sets.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome 0369!
Michael

Post by 0369 »

Thanks for the welcome! My first experience with Rossi was a 22/410 youth combo for my daughter, which was $69 new. I think it may have been mis-marked since I see them going for $160. Then, I got my boys the 243/20 combos and the older boy has taken turkey and deer with it. My wife liked them and bought herself a 22/20 youth combo a few years ago so with the quality seen I didn't hesitate with the 92. I absolutely love the 45 Colt round and seem to have an affliction with buying them. I wanted to get a 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt but they're scarce nowadays so it remains on my gun bucket list.
As of tight now I only cast the Lee 454-255 RFN and they drop at .454" and 262 grains. I'm not sure of the hardness or if 262gr. is normal, but they work for me and I water quench them and lube with liquid Alox and have yet to see any leading. I load as cast at .454". I may oreder a hardness tester, just to be more consistant with my alloy, but for now I'm not having any problems. I mix 20:1, pure lead and bags of hard shot(I'd have to look at the bags to see exactly what it is) and like the results. I came across the shot in a good deal when buying out a former handloader. I'll run out this year and will have to come up with a new plan. I got my lead supply when I used to work in demolition and grabbed about 100 pounds per week of pure lead. Even that is going fast with myself, my wife, 2 daughters, and 2 sons all shooting cast with me.
My wife and older daughter shoot 38spl, my younger daughter and sons shoot CZ82s, and I shoot several different cast/gun cinfigurations. We all love it!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It is always great to see fellows getting the kids involved and what a great buy on the rifle!

I think your alloy mix is on target for some good shooting!
Michael

Post by 0369 »

Ranch Dog, you should see the assembly line we get going when they all get involved! I don't use progressive presses, just a couplt of turret single stages and a couple O-frames. I do all of the casting for now but may let the boys start sooner or later. They've watched and learned but I'd rather be on the receiving end of an exploding melt(if it ever happens) than one of the kids.
I really don't feel like messing with gas checks right now, so would I have a problem with a 300+ grain 45 Colt at max in the 92 without a check? If not, I may make a mould or open one up for a plain base.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

0369 wrote:I really don't feel like messing with gas checks right now, so would I have a problem with a 300+ grain 45 Colt at max in the 92 without a check? If not, I may make a mould or open one up for a plain base.
It depends on what "max" you are referring to. At the SAAMI 14.0 KPSI not at all, but most guys I know are pushing the 92s and 94s at 35.0 to 40.0 KPSI so, yes, you would a gas checked design.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

0369 wrote:Ranch Dog, you should see the assembly line we get going when they all get involved! I don't use progressive presses, just a couplt of turret single stages and a couple O-frames. I do all of the casting for now but may let the boys start sooner or later. They've watched and learned but I'd rather be on the receiving end of an exploding melt(if it ever happens) than one of the kids.
I really don't feel like messing with gas checks right now, so would I have a problem with a 300+ grain 45 Colt at max in the 92 without a check? If not, I may make a mould or open one up for a plain base.
I don't like the idea of molten lead and lead vapor being around indoors since lead like mercury is a cumulative poison that is difficult to purge from the body once absorbed.......... but that's just me.
If I do ever cast bullets the equipment will be in the outside shed open to the outside air and the climate in the winter is not amenable to that.
I bought a bunch of HSM "Bear Load" ammo on sale for my 45-70s that is powerful & accurate so I don't see myself messing with molten lead in the short term
at least.
I also buy lead bullets for other calibers already made & boxed.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA