M92 38/357 Range Report

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
MG2112

M92 38/357 Range Report

Post by MG2112 »

Range Report Rossi R92.

This is the first time I ever shot a lever action rifle. I purchased my Rossi R92 38/357 20in blue around Christmas 2012. I did some feeding
test and gave her a pretty good cleaning before shooting. Rails were well lubed with 3 in 1 oil.

I used 50 rounds of RWS Sport 357 Magnum 158 Grain Full Metal Jacket ammo . Outdoor range with a target @ 50 yards. Clear day
in the high 40’s with little or no wind.

I will start from the beginning of my session and go from there.

With no idea where to place the rear sight so I put it in the middle notch. It was just me and the range officer so he acted as a spotter for me.
A silhouette target (see pic) was @ 50 yards and I was missing the target high. I was sitting in a chair with my R92 resting on my shooting bag on a table.
I adjusted the rear site by sliding it back towards the stock. I was not sure If I should have my sight alignment in the lower “V” or the upper “V” – hope that makes sense.

To make things more challenging I discovered my front site came loose about half way through my box of ammo.
After every shot I had to adjust it to center. Sometimes I forgot to center the front site and missed. Now the front site
is completely off. A little loctite can fix that.

I think towards the end of my 50 rounds I started to make some good hits.

The good: Great gun to shoot. My R92 did NOT have a single problem feeding .357 ammo. I have seen reports of some Rossi
unable to feed .357. Not mine. Not one single issue. Only one FTF (I hit the safety by mistake) but not one FTL and/or FTE.
I really like this gun and feel I spent my money wisely. I would buy it again given the chance and look forward to shooting
her again. Recoil was noticeable but not shocking. Being my first lever action I had little to compare it to. I will give some
38spl a run next time.

The bad: Front site came loose then completely off. I can glue it on or have it replaced cheaply.
It will take the shooter, me, a while to get used to a lever action with iron sights. Once I get her sighted in at 50 yards I think the gun will be accurate.
This is the first 50 rounds I EVER shot out of a lever action. Very little bad to report. Hopefully I can shoot better next time but I had a great
time and look forward to the next range visit.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o63 ... 35831e.jpg
Last edited by MG2112 on 12 Jan 2013 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: R92 38/357 Range Report

Post by akuser47 »

Glad to hear she handle the .357 round well. you may need to add a liitle to the bottom of the front sight then tap it into place what I have done for friends on other rifle with this same issue was got some JB weld and added a very little amoun to the base of the sight and test fit you can always remove it with light sanding to get it to fit tight so I let it cure on the base of the front sight then I go in and start test fitting it usaully if done correctly little is needed to make a solid mount Loctite could work if the fit is tight enough it may not though if it is a sloppy cut dove.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

That's good to hear..maybe Rossi is listening.

FWIW, I had the same issue with my rear sights, although not as bad. I could move it side to side very easy. I had to replace them anyways because the gun shot so high. The new marble sights fit very well

Did ya try any .38sp rounds?
MG2112

Post by MG2112 »

Nope. Only 357. I had 38spl with me but did not have time to shoot it. What type if site did you use?
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

MG2112 wrote:What type if site did you use?
You probably know the details of my gun so I wont bore you with anymore. I installed both of these sights (perfict fit) the day before I sent the gun back to Florida for repair, I have not had a chance to use em.

My gun shot great at 50-75 yards using .38sp but thats with the rear set as low as it would go. .357 shot 10-12" high and I had no more adjustment. The front had to go taller and the rear didn't fit well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/655240?cm_vc=S014

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/132532?cm_vc=S014