480 Rossi

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 480 Rossi

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:Since I haven't got all my equipment for casting yet, what equipment do you like to use to size bullets and seat gas checks for that 375? I think I saw that its designed for hornady gas checks, so I'll hunt down some of those as well.
I special ordered a Lee Lube and Size Kit at .478". Buckshot on the Cast Boolit forum makes them as well.
Michael
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Ranch Dog wrote:
357cyrus wrote:Thanks. Did anyone ever find or hear of a set of replacement sights that fit the 480 and its different barrel taper?
I just went out and remeasured everything between all the cartridges from 357 Mag to 480 Ruger and the barrel taper is the exact same. I had some issues with the scout scope installation because the mount holes ended up being drilled about about 1/2" aft of where they should be and resulted in the base not matching the taper. That little change was huge but does not apply to your concern.

What needs to be remembered is the significant amount of drop of such a huge bullet. That in itself is very impressive!
I think the only difference in Rossi barrel blanks is whether they're round or octagon. Makes it easier to have all the same parts when assembling them. I know that my 357 octagon is one heavy, thick barrel.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Congratulations on your find cyrus.

You guys must have shoulders of granite. I'm sticking with my 45LC 92! If I need more than that I've wandered of course a looooong way.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:You guys must have shoulders of granite. I'm sticking with my 45LC 92! If I need more than that I've wandered of course a looooong way.
I feel my 480 Ruger does not have the felt recoil of my 45 Colt. I think a lot of it is the stock design used in both the 480 Ruger and 454 Casull.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I've never handled either of them. Didn't realize there are differences.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Rooster59 wrote:Congratulations on your find cyrus.

You guys must have shoulders of granite. I'm sticking with my 45LC 92! If I need more than that I've wandered of course a looooong way.

Jeff
It's not that bad guys.......it's all in your mental attitude.
My wife (128 pounds & holding) can fire my 16" barrel M92/44 Mag all day long Image sometimes emptying a Winchester "white box" (50 rounds) of full power ammo in 1 session at the range. +guns
Her own hunting rifle is a modified Remington model 7 (the original version with the 18 1/2" barrel) which weighs just over 5 3/4 pounds scoped that has dropped deer & moose while parked against her shoulder.
I formulated a rather robust hand load for her model 7 pushing the 180 grain Nosler Partition bullet........she'll put 5 of them in the black circle (1" diameter) of my home made targets at 100 yards.
One day last spring at the range she fired the M92/454 a few times and asked after shooting a magazine tube of ammo down range without batting an eyelid, "that was fun, let's try the full power loads". I replied, "they WERE the full power loads !"
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

I'll have to let you know how it compares to the featherweight 12 gauge I grew up chasing deer with. At least this 480 has a recoil pad!
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***