Shopping List for Lee Hand Press Reloading Needed

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Lostcoast

Shopping List for Lee Hand Press Reloading Needed

Post by Lostcoast »

I am thinking of getting into reloading in a step-by-step way via the well-liked Lee Breech Lock Hand Press. If anyone could let me know what I will need for this particular press to start reloading pistol and rifle ammunition I would greatly appreciate it. I am thinking of initially reloading .357 mag, 44 mag, and .30 carbine. Heck, I may even end up casting my own .357 and .44 mag bullets as well!

A happy new year, everyone.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shopping List for Lee Hand Press Reloading Needed

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm going to try to keep up with this topic create a list of the suggestions offered in list form below not only for locoast but for others that might be searching for the same material. It would be nice to receive input concerning this list, remembering this is the basics, and after a period of time create a new topic that is locked in this forum as this is a very common question.
  • Beyond the Press
    • Dies
    • Powder Handling
      • Powder Funnel
      • Powder Measure Kit (Dippers) - very basic tools for use with off maximum loads
      • Scale
      • Volume Dispenser - typically used with volume handgun cartridge reloading
    • Case Conditioning Tools
      • Chamfering/Deburing tool
      • Primer Pocket Cleaner
      • Case Trimmer
    • Case Priming Tools
      • Press mounted primer, or
      • Hand priming tool
    • Bench Tools
      • Reloading Manual
      • Note pad
      • Calipers
      • Loading blocks
[hr][/hr]
Lostcoast wrote:I am thinking of getting into reloading in a step-by-step way via the well-liked Lee Breech Lock Hand Press.
Have you chosen the hand press because of limited space or some other need? Just curious as with this many cartridge considerations the Lee four hole turret is a much better choice. Die setup is an important consideration, consistent setup between any given lot of ammo. With the hand press you are going to be removing the dies with each stage. With a turret press you set them up on a turret plate once and they don't change.

Besides dies, the typical stuff for the basics are a scale, calipers, loading block, case trimmers, camfering/deburring tool and a primer pocket cleaner. The toughest thing to get right now is primers and powder.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I've successfully loaded 375 H&H Magnum ammo with the 2 handled Lee hand presses.
Slower than molasses in January but will do the job.
If you are loading a coupla boxes of hunting ammo a year it's really all you need.
Infinitely superior to the original Lee Loader which is still used by the odd old die hard.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Lostcoast wrote:I am thinking of getting into reloading in a step-by-step way via the well-liked Lee Breech Lock Hand Press. If anyone could let me know what I will need for this particular press to start reloading pistol and rifle ammunition I would greatly appreciate it. I am thinking of initially reloading .357 mag, 44 mag, and .30 carbine. Heck, I may even end up casting my own .357 and .44 mag bullets as well!

A happy new year, everyone.
I have a Lee Breech Lock Hand press I use at the range or at events on occasion. Now you will nee d the dies of course for listed calibers and I suggest the Lee dies also since they are inexpensive compared to others and they work great. Now I recommend picking up a Lee hand primer but if not they have a primer system to do one primer at a time using the hand press. I found that aggravating to say the least. Now for a little smoother and faster setup get enough extra breach locks adapters for your dies and once set lock the dies down. Either get a stand alone powder dispenser or a set of the Lee dippers and a funnel that fits in the top of your powder thru expander dies with the pistol dies. I don't see much of a need for a brass sizer for the pistol round but do for most rifle brass. I've also found the fastest shipping and lowest prices on Lee equipment at their Factory outlet store https://fsreloading.com/

My current bench setup
IMG_0367_sm.jpg
Lee Cast Turret
Lee Classic Cast1_sm.jpg
Lee Classic Cast2_sm.jpg
Lee Classic Cast Press setup to load 12 ga brasss shot shells.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice clean setup, which I really like. I see you have added the Inline Fabrication handle to your press. What do you think?
Michael
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Pepe Ray »

WOW!!!
Joe you shouldn't show off in front of us "Po boys". I get drool all over my 'puter.
I'd intended to jump in and commend Michael in his advice to the Nooby but youve opened up a wish list.
not much different than the old Sears-Roebuck catalog we'ed see at Christmas time.
Thanks Joe.
Pepe Ray :mrgreen:
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

pricedo wrote:I've successfully loaded 375 H&H Magnum ammo with the 2 handled Lee hand presses.
Slower than molasses in January but will do the job.
If you are loading a coupla boxes of hunting ammo a year it's really all you need.
Infinitely superior to the original Lee Loader which is still used by the odd old die hard.
So now I'm an "odd old diehard"? :)

Actually, I only use mine now on a rainy day to wax nostalgic. But it is fun. The Lee Classic Cast 4-hole turret press is my primary press and has been for a few years. The Classic Cast single stage press would be great now that they offer the breech lock setup. Almost makes the turrets unnecessary. Almost.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen! Very inspiring.

Ranch Dog, I got interested in the Lee Hand Press based on a bunch of user reviews that I read where people raved about it and in some cases even preferred it to their turrent presses. I also wanted to enter the reloading world in a way that would not entail a big financial investment up front. But man I'm going to need to wait until the current hoarding craze is over in order to find powder and primers! By the way, how much do the bullet molds cost that you use for your .357 home cast reloads?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Lostcoast wrote:By the way, how much do the bullet molds cost that you use for your .357 home cast reloads?
I was selling the bullet molds for $60 each, these were the Lee Six Cavity molds. These probably will not be available until the next catalog year through the Lee dealers but they should be quite a bit less.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Lostcoast wrote:... But man I'm going to need to wait until the current hoarding craze is over in order to find powder and primers!
Now would be a good time to start making small purchases of the equipment that fits your budget as it becomes available so that at the midpoint of the Presidential term you can dedicate funds to the component purchases. This hording is not a new thing, especially over the last two decades. You will find me buying my components, enough for 50K cartridges, at this point. I have never had any problem with the planning and purchases including last year. Plenty of components, just have the funds to buy them and have an understanding of what you need. I have two shoot factory ammo in my handgun training and need 2500 rounds of it a year. I make those purchases in the same period for 5K rounds without issue.

Once you start reloading, plan on shooting at least twice what you are now. This is where a good software program, it could even be a simple spreadsheet or database, can help you keep track of inventory needs. I use TMT's Precision Load Records as I know the guy that writes it and it features an inventory system that makes my two year point purchases easy. Of course the digital record keeping is more than just about the inventory, it is about keeping track of what you are doing so that you do not need to repeat any unnecessary shooting and can repeat what works. No doubt important with the cost of components.
Michael