Rossi 92 Walnut Stock source

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Rossi 92 Walnut Stock source

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:when they first came out the real Winchesters were economy rifles like the contemporary Mossberg 464.
In 1968, my dad bought a '66 M94 in a clearance sale for $25! It was the "Antique" rifle with the case hardened finish on the receiver and a saddle ring. It is a beautiful rifle.

No doubt there were some nice looking specialty variants of 92s & 94s but the 4 x 94s I owned (unfortunately all were sold) were sort of plain jane without case hardening or saddle rings.............modest economy level hunting firearms.
Dads real deal 92 (44-40) was also a run of the mill looking gun...........I shot it several times as a boy. +guns
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Lostcoast wrote:Pricedo, do you have photos that you can share of your linseed oiled Rossi 92 stocks? It would be great to see them. I am thinking of trying Magic Maple acid stain and then Linspeed on my new stocks when they arrive.
Man you ever work with LInspeed? That is some nasty stuff. I've finished a few dozen custom stocks and have always used Permalyn for a stock finish. Linspeed -- I tried that in the early days, never ever seemed to dry. JMHO.

............and Michael, you are killing me. "Hardwood". I didn't know balsa qaulified as a hardwood...............<grin>

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I used the double boiled linseed oil.....not the raw stuff.
It's an old homestead remedy to weather proof wooden stocks.
You don't slop it on like you can some other types of finishes.
Put a little on & rub it in good til the whole stock is done.
It's an oil finish....... not an epoxy or hard varnish finish.
Perhaps not the greatest but will do for me.
Some look on guns as a piece of art.
I'm not as into aesthetic things as I am into pragmatic usefulness.
I was raised in "a gun is just another tool" home environment and a lot of that attitude stuck.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tazman1602 wrote:....and Michael, you are killing me. "Hardwood". I didn't know balsa qaulified as a hardwood...............<grin>
Yah, I read that and do grin! It is a strange wood. Very easy to work with but yet mine are taking all the hits in the field as well as any walnut rifle I own.
Michael
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

Tazman1602 wrote:
Lostcoast wrote:Pricedo, do you have photos that you can share of your linseed oiled Rossi 92 stocks? It would be great to see them. I am thinking of trying Magic Maple acid stain and then Linspeed on my new stocks when they arrive.
Man you ever work with LInspeed? That is some nasty stuff. I've finished a few dozen custom stocks and have always used Permalyn for a stock finish. Linspeed -- I tried that in the early days, never ever seemed to dry. JMHO.

............and Michael, you are killing me. "Hardwood". I didn't know balsa qaulified as a hardwood...............<grin>

Art
Hello Art,

Perhaps the makers of Linspeed changed their formula because it has worked really well for me. Sinks in deep, brings out the grain, and dries overnight.

One thing the owner of Linspeed did tell me was that many folks who are used to other finishes put the Linspeed on too thick, and that it should be applied very sparingly and rubbed in well. I followed his advice and am quite happy with the results.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

My Rossi 92s are made of some kind of Brazilian hard wood but it certainly isn't Balsa.
I've seen Balsa and that ain't it.
I think the wood is somewhat acidic as my 357 Mag & 44 Mag both had superficial rusting on w/m contact surfaces when I first bought them.
I checked them both a coupla times after the sanding down and linseed oil treatment and no rust has appeared since.
Knock on wood. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Find a Navy Arms 1892. Rossi with walnut from the factory.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

44-40 Willy wrote:Find a Navy Arms 1892. Rossi with walnut from the factory.

+1
Owned one in 44 Mag & sold it in the late 90s..........sorry I did ........I had refinished the walnut stock and it looked fantastic ............a friend spotted it and wouldn't take no for an answer.........it was a beautiful gun, slick & smooth with impeccable w/m fit right out of the box............I loved that gun (shooting it & looking at it).......... goes to show you that anything is for sale if the person making the offer is holding enough money in his hand.
They are as rare as chicken's teeth.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Clinebo

Post by Clinebo »

Mine is an EMF Hartford model. The wood has some beautiful grain to it. But it's not a very good finish. Very dark and dull. I'm thinking of redoing it, but what finish to use is still a big ? for me. I'm reading all the threads I can find, and taking notes on who used what and how it turned out. Before I tear into it I'll take pics so the before and after show the difference. Some guys have only taken pics after they were done so it's hard to get a feel for how it changed the look. LOVE this gun!
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Some darn nice jobs on refinishing the plain wood on your Rossi's guys!! Really changes the appearance of these nice little carbines. So much to try, so little time. DP